PDA

View Full Version : DS is getting tubes tomorrow

swrc00
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
what should I bring to the hospital? He is 8 months old. Any experienced mamas have any insight? I am not nervous or concerned about the procedure. I just want to be prepared. I have the usual diaper bag stuff, extra outfit, food, snacks, toys. Am I missing anything?

TwinFoxes
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I would say make sure to pack a snack and activities for you for when he's in his room but sleeping. Oh, and socks for him. And a jacket for you.

Do you mean tubes in his ears? (sorry to be ignorant.)

swrc00
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Yes, tubes in his ears. That was ignorant of me to not put more details. :ROTFLMAO:

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I hope all goes well!

Beth

Cam&Clay
07-07-2009, 10:57 PM
DS1 had them at 18 months. I brought a magazine that I hadn't even had time to open by the time they called my name. That's how fast this whole thing goes.

He freaked out when he woke up, but having a cup of milk waiting along with his favorite comfort items (me included) really helped. They offered him a popsicle, but your little guy is too little for one!

Good luck! I'm sure he will be just fine!

jerigirl
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Extra shirt for you in case he throws up. Not likely but not totally out of the realm of possibility. He probably will be very agitated when he wakes up from anesthesia. If they allow him to drink/nurse a bit after the procedure it may not settle well initially.

It is usually a very quick procedure. He probably will only be in the operating room a very short time.

MMEand1
07-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Fingernail clippers - you can clip his fingernails while he is sleeping without him fighting you!

swrc00
07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Fingernail clippers - you can clip his fingernails while he is sleeping without him fighting you!

I totally thought about this!!!

lilycat88
07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
It's probably over by now. Hope it went well. DD had her first set at 8 months. It was very easy, very fast, and much more difficult on us than her. I was actually about 3 days out from gallbladder surgery when DD had her tubes put in and they ended up having to wheel ME out holding her because I was feeling so horrible. She fell asleep in the car and took a longer nap than usual but when she got up, you wouldn't have known anything had been done. She had her second set at 15-18 months and she went to her Kindermusik class that evening.

Hope all is well.

Jen841
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
J was cold when he came to. He was 5 and could tell us his concerns. We were the mean parents that stacked hernia surgery into the event too. Tubes had a QUICK recovery.

AnnieW625
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Elisa had tubes put in her eats at 2 last year and things went very well. The procedure was very quick and DH barely had enough to go grab some coffee. The worst part was when she woke up from the anethesia all she did was cry for a good 10 minutes. We stayed in the recovery area for an hour and she was quite loopy.

swrc00
07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Things went great. I was of course overly prepared. He was quite upset for the first hour. He is fine now. Thanks for the suggestion and the good wishes.

Fairy
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Sorry I missed this! I had tubes, and DS did at 16mo, too. You got good advice, and I'm glad it went well!