PDA

View Full Version : Tips on making the switch to blankets

MontrealMum
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
After DS' Houdini-like grobag escape the other night, which was followed by several nights of wearing the grobag like a cape :) , I've decided to make the switch to a blanket in the crib. He's nearly 2, and does naps at daycare w/ a blanket, so I'm not too worried about safety. Also, although we have a crib tent, we've never installed it because he's always been more interested in crawling into the crib rather than out of it.

We have the a/c on in DS' room so it will be easier for him to sleep (covers noise, very humid at times), and he usually sleeps in HA zippers. I just went in to change/feed him and his feet were a bit cold and he was all scrunched up at one end of the crib with his bears and the quilt at the other end.

So, how do you get them to keep it on? Or don't you? And do you worry about them staying warm? I thought about putting the bag on backwards (other posters have mentioned this) but I'm wondering, if he will stay in the crib, if the blanket thing might work. What do you think? If, if if we move (please let it be soon) we will be transitioning him to a toddler bed fairly soon after that so the blanket thing seems like the next step anyways?

pinay
07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
We transitioned to a blanket in the crib a few months ago, probably around her 2nd birthday. We use a throw-sized blanket, which is bigger than a baby blanket but smaller than one made for a twin. We can tuck it in under the crib mattress but don't even bother with that. There are times I go to get her in the morning and she's lying on top of the blanket or it's scrunched up beside her, but most of the time she'll stay under it w/o any problems. Since it's warm now, she wears short-sleeved pjs and lightweight pants, we usually put a pair of socks on her so even if she ends up w/o the blanket, she tends to be warm enough.