PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Job searching :(

MontrealMum
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I have applied to a number of jobs I am *qualified* for, some I am less qualified for, and one that is just in a location that we'd like to move to :) but really , it's stretching it. I've heard back (no) from one. ONE. It was in South Dakota and I'm a bit relieved because I didn't really want to move there (sorry to those who live there).

I have a few more positions to send apps off to now, but I'm getting a little stressed here. I know it takes time in this field - it's very similar to academia - but how long is this going to take to hear yes or no? It's been about 2 months now since these searches were closed.

Sorry, just a vent. I just want to move on to our next phase here and as a planner I'm getting a little impatient! If you can send me/us some more P & PT I'd appreciate it :)

bubbaray
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
P&PT coming your way.

Some Cdn Gov't (all levels) positions can take years to fill. Seriously. So, if you are applying to gov't in a bad economy, yeah, it can take a while. They have funding when they post the jobs, they lose funding with budget cuts, etc..

MontrealMum
07-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks, Melissa. I do know that in my head, but it's really good to hear it from another source. I am just an extremely impatient person and I don't do well with uncertainty. Ugh! I am going to refocus on "deep-cleaning" the house and packing/giving things away.

niccig
07-08-2009, 01:54 AM
I applied for the position I had at UCLA - it was easily 6 months from close of application to me starting. I had a phone interview, then a casual lunch meeting then a full day of interviews with all the staff. I got the job, but my application then went for review to the central library to decide pay grade. The branch library had me rewrite resume in a certain way, so it would be approved. DH who had only worked for smaller private businesses could not believe the process for a mid- level position.

Hang in there. I'm looking too.

dcmom2b3
07-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Hugs, Molly. I'm starting to look too, and it does stink. I keep telling myself that "no news isn't *bad* news . . ."

Hang in there!

KpbS
07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
:hug: P+PT headed your way. Have you considered sending a follow-up letter making sure they have received your application and all additional materials, references, etc.? I don't know if it is appropriate for your situation but years ago when I was applying for a couple of positions I had a critical reference never make it to its destination. They never notified me and I wish I had tracked it down in time.

mommyp
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Molly,
Good luck with the apps. Some of them take long! When I went on the market I applied for some academic jobs in Canada and some in the US and I had had several interviews (phone and IRL) before having any contact from other ones. The timelines really vary. So P+PT coming your way. I'm also a planner so I feel your pain....

ha98ed14
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Sending P&PTs! I'm not in academia, at least not at the level you are ;), but one think I know from my IRL BFF who works in academia is that it is notorious for the lloooonnngggg, drawn out process of 1) how long a position is open and accepting applications, 2) how long it takes them to weed through the apps and call folks for interviews, and 3) how long until they take to get back to the candidates after the interview. And in this economy, where I bet they have double the applications because people are SO desperate for jobs, I bet it will take them even longer. So I wouldn't give up just yet. But that does not make the waiting any easier!

The only thing that ever works for me when I am in those anxiety provoking waiting periods is to find a distraction that is completely unrelated. (I have been so stressed out about this house buying thing for months and months that I went out an bought myself an embroidery machine ! (Used off Craigslist.) But I don't have a clue how to use it. At best, I am a basic sewer. But it's working. Even if all I have figured out to date is how to turn it on!

So, do you have anything that could serve as a distraction? How 'bout updating DS's baby book, or selling some stuff on CL that you won't want to take when/ if you do move. Or organizing a closet? Not that those things are fun, per se, but they can take up lots of time. If all else fails and I can't make it through, I rent a bunch of movies and veg out. Anyway, just some ideas. Sending you employment P&PTs!

ThreeofUs
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Molly! Job searching is such a pain - particularly right now.

P&PT coming your way for just the right job in just the right place.

I usually read career books at times like this - you know, like how to negotiate salary, 5 steps to professional presence, etc. I always figure it will give me an edge in job interviews (should the opportunity appear). :)

GL!

MontrealMum
07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks, everyone :) I really appreciate it. And very good advice on what to do in the meantime :) GL to everyone else looking for jobs too!