PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Urgent! Please help me with tomorrow!

maiaann
07-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been a basket case this past week. Here's the story...

I'm due on July 15. This is my third baby. Midway through this pregnancy I developed a DVT and was put on Heparin. I was told through the beginning that my delivery would be induced to manage the Heparin and prevent bleeding complications. At 36 weeks this baby was determined to be "transverse." At 37 weeks it flipped breech. Went to the hospital at 37 weeks + 2 days to have it flipped by external version and it was head down. At 38 weeks it's still head down so the dr schedules my induction for July 7 (2 days ago). I was having reservations about the induction because my cervix is unfavorable. Went in on Monday to be put on the monitored and they found that this baby is breech again! So, she cancelled the induction and instead scheduled a c-section for tomorrow - I'm 39 weeks today!

I don't want a c-section. I mean, I REALLY don't want a c-section! My biggest fear of induction was ending up with a failed induction and ending up with a c-section. I expressed my concerns (through the tears!) with the dr, but she made me feel awful - telling me I should be happy I have a healthy baby and just do what she says.

My thoughts are - both my other kids were 5 days late and I won't even be 40 weeks until next Wednesday. Since this baby is flipping all over the place, aren't there pretty good odds that it'll flip back vertex again by the time spontaneous delivery approaches? My biggest obstacle is the heparin. I shouldn't go into spontaneous labor while on heparin as it could be risky. And, since nobody knows when this baby will debut, the dr's figure it's better to be safe and induce earlier than later.

What are my options when I go to the hospital tomorrow morning? Is there a such thing as a heparin drip that they could put me on and monitor me until I'm more comfortable making a decision? If the baby doesn't turn, is a vaginal breech delivery a possibility? I hate feeling rushed. I hate the dr telling me all the bad things that could happen if I wait. (What about all the bad things that could happen if I go against my will?) I also have a history of post-partum depression and I can't help but think it will be awful if I make decisions I'm not comfortable with regarding this delivery.

Another thing to note is that I have Kaiser insurance, which means any dr on the Kaiser staff may delivery my baby. My "regular" OB just sees me for check-ups - there are no guarantees as to who sees you at the hospital. So, there is a very good chance that I will be seeing (and arguing with) a dr I've never laid eyes on before.

What do I do?!

Jen841
07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Sorry you are dealing with this. I did not have your issue, but I has some similar items. Let me tell you my success story!

#2 was 3 days overdue. Grandma (who lives 1/2 way across the country) was in town so I asked to be induced. Due to my first delivery, they expected to induce me (did not start contractions on my own even after my water broke on its own.)

Was induced, labored, got my epidural... then they discovered that the he was breech (Dr earlier questioned it)

Dr who discovered it I never met before (I even forget his name.)

The Operating Room was open, they got my nurse out of the lunch room and gave me a C.

It all happened so fast. A C was my FEAR. It was not bad, I got a healthy bundle of joy quicker. I now regret the hours I labored hard!

I was in shock then they told me I needed a C. I did not consider trying to deliver b/c I was in so much discomfort, and was just ready to have the baby. I don't regret no pushed for a vaginal delivery, I have friends who tried and had miserable experiences trying.

IMO find what will give you peace, a healthy baby and a healthy you... maybe ASAP too : )

The recovery is different, but you have the prize, so I am willing to take it easy and accept all help offered and enjoy time with my treasured family.

sunriseiz
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
sorry, no suggestions except to take a deep breath...hugs to you!

katydid1971
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I was on lovenox for my last pregnancy so I understand, I didn't want an IV for induction and it worked out that DD wanted to come the day we planned so I was able to go without induction. The pregnancy before our baby was stillborn because of a blood clot and losing that baby still weighs on my heart everyday of my life. I understand your not wanting a c section (i totally didn't want one either) but that the risk of losing the baby is the biggest thing here. I know that isn't what you want to hear and I wish you all the best and a safe and healthy delivery. Hugs from me and I hope you find a solution that makes you happy. Good luck!!!
PS July 15th is my birthday so I hope you can hold out until then ;)

mecawa
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I wish I could help you. :hug: First make sure you have expressed all of your concerns to your doctor (and also makes sure he/she knows about your suggesstions, wishes and questions about a heparin drip (I think DD#2 had one of these when she had surgery but I could be wrong so ask) The spontanous delivery being dangerous when on heparin would concern me (this is just my opinion, you need to follow your own heart) so I would consider the section. I wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck, congrats, and you will be in my thoughts. :hug:

newg
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I ended up having a c-section after being in labor all day, pushing for 3hrs, and then DD getting stuck halfway down because she was face up instead of face down....so after pulling with forceps (DH claims doc was pulling so hard his one foot was one the table for support!)...they finally went with c-section and she just came right out...no problems.....it ended up being what was best for DD and for me (they did not want to do a c-section unless they absolutely had to because of me being diabetic and the possible complications with healing...but everything went just fine).......

You need to feel comfortable with what's going on though......
Is it the c-section that bothers you or being induced early? Is it possible to get monitored/checked every day, with the goal being you would have a c-section on your actual due date?

Fairy
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry, I know you're feeling out of control right now :grouphug:

Help me understand why you don't want a c-section. You do *not* want to deliver on heparin or lovenox. If you've got clotting issues serious enough to develop a DVT and the baby is flipping all over the place, then I can see why they want to schedule the c-section. They're really not that bad. Mine was great! However, I know you don't want this. Help me undertand the issue?

Katydid, I'm so sorry. :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I understand your reservations. I am also sorry that your Dr. isn't being more understanding since you are obviously upset. I hate when they do things like you experienced. Guilt tripping someone is just not ok with me. Is there any way you could get a 2nd opinion, just so you know you explored all your choices and can feel really comfortable with the conclusion? If that isn't possible, write out all your pros and cons of your options. Think through the risks, benefits and alternatives. Decide what your comfort level is.

You could also get yourself to a chiropractor and give the Webster technique a try, to flip baby.

Finally, I think you need to decide what worries/ bothers/ scares you about a c-section and talk to your careprovider about those things. Perhaps some things that scare you don't need to be done, could be done differently or something like that. I researched c-sections and found that there are so many different ways of doing things. I wrote a c-section "birth plan" just mostly so I could think through all my options and give some input into things that might make a positive difference for me. I thought about pre-op, during, closing, and recovery. I can share that plan with you if you are interested.

Very best of lock.

Beth

marit
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I am in a very similar situation to you!

Because of a complication to this pregnancy (RH isoimmunization), I will also have to be induced before my due date (37 weeks, best case scenario...). I am too dreading ending up with a C, because my first two deliveries were so natural and beautiful.

For myself I see it as an exercise with surrender and letting go. Of course we want to be in control, but the truth is we can't. It is what it is, and we have to make the best of our circumstances.

I am no doctor, but I think the chances your baby will turn back at 39 weeks is very small. So most probably you will end up with a breech baby anyways. Maybe you can ask them to try another external flipping before the C, but it doesn't always work. And the doctors are telling you all the things that could go wrong, because it's their job to think about the bad scenarios and try to prevent them. They can't predict the future, all the can do is make a choice that will give you the best odds.

Good luck, mama! And do tell us how it went! I promise to report back as well :)

Momof3Labs
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I am also currently facing a c-section this month due to breech Baby A (Baby B is beautifully head down but her exit is blocked by her sister). My second was born naturally with no meds whatsoever, so this is a big swing in the opposite direction for me. I'm still processing this but have to accept that currently, it is the only safe way to get my babies out. (Fortunately, they have promised me that if I show up for the c-section and both babies are vertex, then they will cancel the surgery.)

Vaginal breech birth is very rare these days in mainstream medicine, particularly with a singleton baby. Especially since you don't know who will deliver you through Kaiser and what experience they have with vaginal breech births (honestly, probably none), I would absolutely not trust the skill of that doc to get your baby out safely.

Can you find a doula locally to attend the birth with you? Perhaps a good doula can help you through this process, and help you understand the risks in a more compassionate way than your doc.

I know it is late in your pregnancy, but is another version (perhaps followed immediately by labor induction) an option??

Melbel
07-08-2009, 12:38 PM
DS was breech and I had a CS after an unsuccessful external version. We actually had a Dr. who would still deliver breech babies vaginally, which was very unusual even in 2000. I was advised that if the baby got stuck (likely the shoulders w/ breech babies IIRC), then they would have to saw open the pelvic bone and may still have other serious consequences. No thanks. I have now had 3 CS and 3 healthy babies. My CSs were not bad at all if you have to go that route. Good luck and God bless.

MommyofAmaya
07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
You could also get yourself to a chiropractor and give the Webster technique a try, to flip baby.

Beth:thumbsup:

Do this today!!

tiapam
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't want a c-section. I mean, I REALLY don't want a c-section! My biggest fear of induction was ending up with a failed induction and ending up with a c-section.

I hate feeling rushed. I hate the dr telling me all the bad things that could happen if I wait. (What about all the bad things that could happen if I go against my will?) I also have a history of post-partum depression and I can't help but think it will be awful if I make decisions I'm not comfortable with regarding this delivery.

Another thing to note is that I have Kaiser insurance, which means any dr on the Kaiser staff may delivery my baby. My "regular" OB just sees me for check-ups - there are no guarantees as to who sees you at the hospital. So, there is a very good chance that I will be seeing (and arguing with) a dr I've never laid eyes on before.

What do I do?!

The doctor would be negligent if she did not tell you the risks. A different doctor tomorrow might be a blessing in disguise. You can ask them to go over everything with you again. When I was pregnant I was surprised how differently the OBs in the practice explained the same things.

I have had two CS, first one FTP. For #2, I was planning to have a repeat and developed a liver problem with a very small chance of stillbirth. That small chance was way too big for my comfort. I went in the next day, two weeks earlier than planned, and had the CS. The night before was not easy, I was very worried about the baby.

I understand you really do not want a CS, but please try to see it in a different light - an option to hopefully have a healthy baby and mama. I know you still think you have other options, and maybe you do, but this one does sound like it needs your careful consideration. In any case, going into childbirth of any type feeling like a basketcase is not good either!

I hope I expressed myself okay. Good luck.

nov04
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
After dd1's rough pregnancy/birth, I hired a doula to help. The biggest gift she ever gave me was listening to me talk about my fears on the phone for hours. She was an RN, had assisted with tons of deliveries at my hospital and was able to put so many concerns I had to rest. With the knowledge she had as an RN, I knew I could trust her opinion.

Dr's aren't usually qualified (or inclined) to listen to someone and help them look at the whole picture. A mid-wife is great in this capacity, but with the very real concern of DVT, an OB is what you've got.

I hope you're able to make a decision you're happy with.

sariana
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have Kaiser, too, so I know what you mean about the doctors.

I REALLY did not want a c-section either, but DD was breech, and I went into preterm labor (expectedly--she made it farther than DS had done a few years ealier). The doctors refused to try a vaginal delivery with a preterm baby because the head is so big in comparison to the body that it is likely to get stuck (b/c the body doesn't open the passage wide enough).

As it turns out, DD still has a huge head at 17 months, so it's a good thing I didn't try for the vaginal delivery!

I don't know anything about the risks of Heparin. I would trust your doctors about that. But my doctors (again, Kaiser here too) were willing to consider a vaginal breech delivery had I gone full term. So keep talking to them.

Happy 2B mommy
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I could (did) write your post about 1 1/2 months ago. My son was breech, I was on Lovenox for prior DVTs, I had an unsuccessful external version. I also argued with my OB to "wait a little more" because my daughter was born 10 days after her EDD. I also really, REALLY did not want a c-section. I was in tears about it - even as they prepped me for the c-section. I was terrified of the c-section because of my clotting disorder. So I know EXACTLY how you feel.

With heperin and lovenox there is increased risk of bleeding on the spine with an epidural - which could cause paralysis. No doctor wants to risk that, so they do push induction- or if the mom wants a natural childbirth (no epidural). For my 1st pregnancy my OB was pretty tuned into my way of thinking and I was not induced and had a natural vaginal delivery. But with my son, who was breech she would NOT budge on her opinion about the c-section and when she wanted it done (10 days before my EDD)

My OB did try a 2nd external version after I was already prepped for the c-section - there is a higher success rate if the mom has an epidural. If my son had flipped, I would have probably been induced that morning and had him that day anyway. It made my feel a little better knowing I had done everything I could to avoid the c-section.

Having had both a natural childbirth and a c-section, I can tell you there are advantages to both. I hated feeling like I had no control over the c-section and I felt completely uninvolved in the birth. The first week of recovery was hard. BUT I was much more rested (I made sure I slept as much as I could the night before), I was less physically exhasted because I didn't go through labor, I had more help in the hospital from the nurses, and in some ways recovered from the birth more quickly. So it's not all bad.

I need to feed my son and haven't masted NAK - so if you have more questions, feel free to pm me.

shawnandangel
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
First - Big hugs to you.

I had to be induced because of low amniotic fliud with an unfavorable cervix. After 28 hours of labor, I was making no progress and the doctor decided a c section was the best.

I was so scared I was shaking uncontrollably. I know how frightning this experience can be! I just wanted to let you know, everything came out okay.

I'm very big on following doctor's advice. However, when your doctor is making you feel miserable and guilty, it's time to ask for another doc. If she/he is going to make you feel like this, ask not to have that person as your doctor tomorrow.

Pregnant and new mommies need compassion.

I will be thinking about you and wishing you the best of luck!! Let us know all about what happened when you get home!

:22::22::22:

mamicka
07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
First, hugs.

Second - I'm not a fan of c/s by any stretch. DS1 was an emergency c/s & DS2 & 3 were VBACs. However - just going by what you've said it sounds as though yours is truly a situation which warrants a c/s. I would encourage you to continue to talk to your dr about your concerns & fears - & maybe consider looking into a doula to help you through it. I also wanted to say that although a c/s wasn't ideal for me, my c/s experience was wonderful.

Good luck!

tiapam
07-08-2009, 06:41 PM
First - Big hugs to you.

I had to be induced because of low amniotic fliud with an unfavorable cervix. After 28 hours of labor, I was making no progress and the doctor decided a c section was the best.

I was so scared I was shaking uncontrollably. I know how frightning this experience can be! I just wanted to let you know, everything came out okay.

I was shaking too but was told that was a reaction, to the epidural, I think. Maybe that was not the reason in your case but just wanted to post for the benefit of others reading.

Fairy
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Just FTR, I was also shaking uncontrollably after my CS. It was an effect of the narcotics that you'll have with the spinal block, which you get with an outright CS.

Some other advantages of the CS is that you get more time int he hospital to recover, you can pee immediately, no swollen pee pee, no damage down there. If any of that makes ya feel better?

Momof3Labs
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
FYI - the uncontrollable shaking is an after-effect of childbirth in general, not just a c-section or narcotics or a spinal block. I had it with my drug-free birth, in addition to my birth with an epidural (both vaginal births).

Indianamom2
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't have any real advice to offer, just a little commiseration. I'm 40 weeks today and quite possibly having a "big" baby who may or may not be head down.

As I've considered the possibility of a C/S, it definitely scares me (I had such a good, easy experience with completely natural childbirth the first time around and would love to repeat). That being said, I want to do what is safest for this baby and for me. My kids need me as much as I need them. So, even though I will be terrified and probably a bit upset if I need a c/s, I know that in the end, I'll still have a healthy baby and that's what really matters.

I would suggest talking to a doctor and expressing exactly what you have here. I know it's hard with different doctors (I'm sort of in the same boat), but they need to listen to your concerns. It may not change the final outcome, but it will make you feel better.

Many hugs, and best wishes for a safe and healthy delivery.

:hug:

Christina

eidean
07-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't know if you'll be checking this again, but I thought I'd chip in. I, too, did NOT want to have a c/s. DS was breech, and I did lots of stuff to try to flip him--standing on my head (sort of), ECV, acupuncture, etc. I was an emotional wreck for the last few weeks, but he just wouldn't go head down. I was just really upset about the loss of my ideal birth (I'd wanted it to be totally natural), the loss of control in a c-section, and going through a major surgery. My blood pressure was skyrocketing and two weeks before he was due they said they wanted to get him out of me for both our sakes (and I'm sure the stress added quite a bit to the BP.) Once I was in the hospital waiting for everyone to arrive, I was less nervous b/c I was resigned to the idea then. I was still nervous going into surgery but one of the drugs they had me on must've been a relaxant b/c there are plenty of things I can look back on now and I'm surprised they didn't bother me (won't elaborate since I don't want to get you worked up.)

However, once DS arrived, I can honestly tell you I didn't give a d*mn how he got there, I was just totally focused on him. Going through it was not nearly as bad as the weeks of worry I put into it beforehand. So hugs! I know it's hard (okay, impossible) not to worry, but I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think.

Maybe they can try another ECV before starting the surgery, and then just induce you if baby flips? However it goes, I wish you the best!