PDA

View Full Version : tell me about coconut oil - 1 more ? for brittone2

justincase
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks to the good advice I got here:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328403
I found the coconut oil in the natural foods aisle of my grocery store. Now I am the proud owner of a *giant* $7 jar of it. So I'll mix up the spider spray, and then what? Tell me your favorite things to cook with it... I'll bet it makes anything taste yummy!

brittone2
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
did you find unrefined, virgin? I would not cook or use the highly processed stuff (which is what gave coconut oil a bad name back in the day), but we like using Nutiva in our oil rotation (the natural stuff )

I use it for cooking etc. and I even wash my face w/ the stuff. You can google "oil cleansing method" online to find out more...sounds weird, but it works great for me. Several high end companies are now selling cleansing serums that are basically oil and a few other ingredients.

We stir fry with it, do our eggs in it, etc. You can bake w/ it, etc. It also works well for greasing muffin tins, etc. instead of shortening or butter.

justincase
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I even wash my face w/ the stuff. ... sounds weird, but it works great for me. Several high end companies are now selling cleansing serums that are basically oil and a few other ingredients.
It doesn't sound weird at all. I *love* DHC's olive Deep Cleansing Oil. Since I'm swearing off spendy personal care products for me once the current stash is gone, I'd be psyched to try something like this.

did you find unrefined, virgin? ... I use it for cooking etc. ... We stir fry with it, do our eggs in it, etc. You can bake w/ it, etc. It also works well for greasing muffin tins, etc. instead of shortening or butter.
I assume it's the good stuff (it was the only one they had) but I will check the label. So since you said you do eggs in it, it has a pretty neutral flavor? I imagined it would taste coconut-y and would be good in stir fry or baking.

Thanks, you are becoming my kitchen maven! :bowdown:

brittone2
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh my, I'm no kitchen maven LOL.

Yeah, the coconut imparts a mild flavor to the eggs but nothing offensive. It is really good in baked goods (quickbreads, muffins, etc.).

With the oil cleansing method, you may have to play around w/ the oil that works best for you. I like heavier oils in winter (like olive oil) but I like coconut oil most of the time. Castor oil didn't agree w/ my skin. I also really, really like cleaning my face w/ jojoba. Some people break out from one and not another, etc. etc. But I really, really like using it and I think it has helped my skin a lot. And cheap, cheap, cheap for organic, healthy beauty products LOL

Some people find it works okay as a bit of a natural deodorant (put on and let dry a bit before putting on your clothes). Some people use it plain, some use it as part of a mix (homemade "funk butter" LOL. There's an old thread or two about that floating around here).

Indian women use it in their hair traditionally.

So yeah, you can cook with it, or put some in a separate container for your beauty needs :)

justincase
07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
OK, so I got the refined, not the unrefined. It was the only one they had and I didn't know there was a difference before. Bad assumption on my part. I poked around the website of the brand I got and found this very clear explanation of the difference:
http://spectrumorganics.com/?id=35
But would you *not* wash your face with it if it was refined? Even though it says "without harsh chemicals or contaminants"?

brittone2
07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, I'd totally wash my face w/ it. I just prefer stuff like Nutiva, etc. for cooking.

The stuff made from "copra" is not as good IMO. I also prefer something cold-pressed, no chemical bleaching, etc. for cooking.

But yeah, I'd use what you have on hand to wash with in the meantime.