PDA

View Full Version : OVER shopped Kmart...what should I keep?

Melaine
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
So I have toys all over my living room from the Kmart deals and I am going to be in big trouble with DH if I don't return some of them. Any feedback or advice on the following? These will be 3rd birthday gifts or Christmas presents for the girls (they'll be 38 months then).

http://www.amazon.com/Littlest-Shop-Round-Town-Playset/dp/B0012W5S4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247076522&sr=1-2
I paid $9 each for these and got TONS of the animals for $1.25 each

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Classic-Little-Princess-Ariel/dp/B001O1TJPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247076600&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Inch-Cinderella-Doll/dp/B001G0YH0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247076600&sr=1-2
(Also got Snow White and Belle, $6.50 each)

http://www.amazon.com/Spinmaster-Moon-Sand-Castle-Play/dp/B000EULZRS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
($7.50 each)

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog%C2%AE-Leapster%C2%AE-Learning-Game-System/dp/B000BTNQUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247076792&sr=1-1
($18.50 each)

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-20540-LeapFrog%C2%AE-Sing-Along-Read-Along/dp/B00134RPIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247076854&sr=1-1
($6.00 each)

I also got several little stocking stuffer type things, but those are the big ones. So, I definitely want to keep the Leapsters. I'd especially like feedback on the MoonSand, the Littlest Pet Shop toys and the Leapfrog DVD game.

spunkybaby
07-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I would return the Moon Sand--way too messy.

Did you get two Leapsters? That's a great price for them, but I would definitely want to make sure that each twin had her own. You might also want to wait on the Leapsters--I think they are better suited for 4-year-olds, and then you will have to buy cartridges.

I bet your girls will love the dolls and the little pet shop toys.

Haven't seen the singalong/readalong set, but it looks fun and has great reviews on Amazon. I'd keep it.

Just my two cents! Congrats on your great deals!

Pennylane
07-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I personally hate moonsand and refuse to have it in my house anymore. My dd's have the LPS "house" you bought and play with it all the time. they are 7 and 4.

Ann

WatchingThemGrow
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
LOL, I seriously considered posting a thread just like this. I need to take my laptop to the van and list all the stuff I bought. Not sure if it is needed or not. All my kids really care about was the play-doh. We'll see if we keep much.

And to answer your question, my oldest is just a bit older than yours, so I don't know about the toys you listed.

I sent my stepfather to K Mart in his town just now. He was excited to go look for the Leapster :)

frgsnlzrds
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
About the leapfrog sing a long...I hate it. LOL I walk around the house singing, "Hop, hop, hop. Izzy hops! Izzy will not stop! Mop, mop, mop. Izzy mops." The kids love it. It makes me think of a baby einstein dvd that comes with books. And while they make me read the books over and over again, I don't think they've learned anything. They might later, but I just wanted to warn you to expect to sing these songs over and over again until you look like this: :bouncy: LOL

Octobermommy
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Forget the moonsand, ours disappeared and I can't imagine what could have happened to it :wink2:

I would also return the littlest pet shop toys. My dd never liked those and I really didn't care for them either.

mrshalco
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
LOL I am laughing at all the posts to get rid of the moon sand

Our moon sand mysteriously disappeared too and I can't imagine where it ended up ;)

kijip
07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Honestly, I would take it all back but the leapsters you said you really wanted to keep and the Princess dolls.

The littlest pet stop stuff gets really clutter heavy- my friends have it and there is a piece of it everywhere.

And I have had at least 3 parents tell me their child was not that taken with the LeapFrog DVD sing a long thing.

Also, are Leapster cartridges going to be available in a couple of years when your girls are old enough? I thought they replaced that system with something new?

Take most of it back and squirrel the money into a savings account! There will always be good toy deals when you need them.

Melaine
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks I think I will officially take the LF DVD sing along back and the Moonsand based on the overwhelming negative responses!!!

kijip, you make a good point about the Leapster being older, but I *think* all the Leapster games work on all the Leapsters so I don't think it will matter that they are an older system. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

ohiomom1121
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks I think I will officially take the LF DVD sing along back and the Moonsand based on the overwhelming negative responses!!!

kijip, you make a good point about the Leapster being older, but I *think* all the Leapster games work on all the Leapsters so I don't think it will matter that they are an older system. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?
Yes, they are all interchangable!

hellokitty
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I would keep the leapsters, you can continue to buy games for deep clearance for the next yr or two until your girls, "grow" into it. My 5 yr old LOVES his and my almost 4 yr old is just starting to get into it. I have never paid full price for any games. I get them either on clearance or when they do the B1G1F deals at Target and TRU.

veronica
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I definitely agree to have gotten rid of the moon sand. I picked up the read along thing today and think DD will love it. She loves books and TV so this will be a nice mix. She is also showing good signs of wanting to read so I hope this helps make it more fun.

I got a barrel of monkeys for DS's second birthday tomorrow for $3.50. I had a leapster in my hand and wasn't sure about it being the older model. They had some clearance games too but I didn't know if DD would be too young (3.5). Wonder if we should keep it until the holidays if I go back and get it (I may have placed it waaaaay in back of the shelf ;))??? Do 4 year old like this?

I could not get the dolls to load so no comment on those.

The LPS stuff looks like a biiiig pain to keep track of, especially with my OCD. I also worry about our dogs and DS eating some of it......Not sure on how popular it is so I can't say to keep or not.....

No kitchen or coupe at our store either !

ETA: thanks so much for the great heads up!

squimp
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Keep the Leapsters and the LPS. My daughter loves the LPS - she and her 9-yo friend are playing again today with the set she got for Christmas.

And tell me more about the Kmart sale - sounds like I should check it out!

Melbel
07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
I personally like stashing well reviewed toys in my closet for birthday parties. I hate scrambling around searching for a decent toy and then having to overpay and/or purchase a much lesser gift.

DD1 has loved her LPS toys for years now and they are popular with friends. We have a storage bin designated solely for LPS which keeps them organized. Even if you do not keep them, they would make great gifts.

Both DS and DD1 loved their Leapsters and learned while playing. I think age 4 is fine (even younger when they are trying to copy older siblings). We had a Leap Frog DVD that was somewhat annoying, but helped DS and DD1 learned to read.

The princess dolls did not get much play time with DD1.

Based upon all of the negative reviews, we have escaped the Moonsand experiment!

Melaine
07-08-2009, 09:48 PM
And tell me more about the Kmart sale - sounds like I should check it out!

Yes, you should, we've been talking about it here:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328277
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328462

srhs
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
So...did you return yet?
I'm wondering how the $5 coupons will be applied or deducted to individual toys?

Melaine
07-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Well, DD was sick yesterday so I haven't actually returned anything yet. Also, did I not mention what happened with the $5 coupons? ARGH I was so frustrated at myself. I had printed a whole pile and was at the checkout with like $80 worth of stuff in my cart. I was about to hand her the coupon when I looked at and read "$5 off shoes" I was baffled with myself, I could've sworn it was $5 off toys. It never occurred to me to flip through and see that every other one was for toys. So later I was really annoyed with myself since I didn't use any of them.
Then later I went to get Leapster games with the coupons and they wouldn't let me combine them. BOOOoooo. So now I guess I need to buy more stuff to use the coupons?:wink2: