PDA

View Full Version : Crate and Barrel vs IKEA- quality?

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Less expensive stuff from Crate and Barrel vs moderately priced IKEA stuff (not the cheapest stuff they sell), how does the quality stack up?

I like this console table from C&B but it is assemble your own and I fear that the quality may be no better than I could get at IKEA for $50-75 less.

TIA!
Beth

Andi98989
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't have any Crate & Barrel RTA furniture, but the mid-range pieces we've gotten from Ikea have held up just as well as RTA pieces from other brands. Our dining room set (table, chairs, sideboard) are from Ikea and are awesome. Haven't had any problems with them. They actually seem to be wearing better than our Pier One not-RTA bedroom furniture.

o_mom
07-08-2009, 02:59 PM
For a table, I think I could go either way. We have a RTA C&B TV stand that I got off CL and it is a very solid piece. We also have dressers from IKEA, the higher end ones that are 90% solid wood, not laminate/particle board. They have held up pretty well to the boys. I am going to have to add some screws to the drawer track, but for the pricing I think it was fine.

A table has no moving parts, or very few, so I would be OK with those from either place. I don't think the C&B is worth a huge premium except for better styling on some pieces. $50-75 might be worth it for something that I liked better.

codex57
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
There's a diff. Whether it's worth $50-75 is a matter of opinion. I would say it's not worth the price diff.

And for the record, we have furniture from C&B, Ikea, Pottery Barn, and a few other places. C&B charges PB prices, but the quality can often resemble Ikea's a lot more than PB's.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
And for the record, we have furniture from C&B, Ikea, Pottery Barn, and a few other places. C&B charges PB prices, but the quality can often resemble Ikea's a lot more than PB's.

That's kind of what I was expecting. Hmmm... I do like the table but it's probably worth a trip to IKEA to compare options.

I do think there are some gems at IKEA quality wise. Shouldn't have generalized!

Beth

mommylamb
07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I think even the self assembly stuff from C&B is nicer. Then again, I'm not really into the modern ikea style for furniture. I think C&B has a more classic feel.

As for other stuff... must say, I bought some hooded towels from ikea recently that I think are nicer than the ones I got from pottery barn...

jenny
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
haha this is a funny comparison b/c I've always called C&B the rich man's Ikea :D

hellokitty
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM

:yeahthat: