PDA

View Full Version : School Lunches - boxes, bags etc

niccig
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, I know it's early. DS is starting a school where I have to pack his lunch every day. So, I'm starting to think about what to send and how to send it.

I bought a Laptop Lunch box as I love obentou lunches. I need to find a lunch bag that will fit it and an icepack and preferably a small Keen Kanteen.

Any suggestions for reusable lunch bags for sandwiches or small things like crackers etc.

Which thermos to keep warm food hot - probably not soup, but things like pizza or quesadillas etc.

DS's new school wants parents to use reusable lunch boxes/bags to cut down on waste and reinforce recycling message. I think that's great, but now I need to find things that will work for us.

My mother never packed school lunches - we were the kids that always bought lunch. So, do you pack lunch at night or in the morning? Any tips to keep the food from going soggy/hot etc.

Thanks.

egoldber
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I used to pack in the morning, but now mainly do it at night. I pack for 2 kids, one of which has to be vegetarian and one of which is a very picky eater. :dizzy:

I don't use the bags/reusable sandwich wraps because my older DD's lunch gets banged around a lot and I don't want the sandwich to squish.

I have a whole collection of reusable plastic containers for lunches. For me they have to be inexpensive so that I don't get upset when things invariably get lost or misplaced, because they will, no matter how well they are labeled. I mainly use the Ziplock brand containers. Since they don't get heated, I don't worry about it too much.

I do have a small thermos that I use for pasta, macaroni, rice dishes, etc. I've never seen a size that I thought would be OK for quesadilla or pizza. I do send pizza, but she eats it room (lunch bag?) temp and has never complained.

I use the Rubbermaid Litterless juice boxes to send their milk. They are the most leakproof containers that I have found. I send milk and not water because I want to make sure they are getting the mid day fat/protein/calories boost.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I pack at night, I like to have everything ready to go in the morning.

I like ds's LL Bean original lunch box but you might want to consider their next size up for what you want to carry. It might fit in the original though.

I haven't bought them yet but I saw a ton of reusable baggies on Etsy. There are a ton of vendors offering them there. Very cute, I might add!

I send milk money with ds.

I also like the little snack sized GladWare for crackers and such so they don't get broken.

Beth

niccig
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll look at etsy for some reusable bags, and I'll look for some smaller tupperware-like containers. I could swear I saw a pic of a thermos cup like a froggo (?) I think that had pizza cut into strips in it. I like the idea of giving him some hot items like pasta or fried rice etc. DS will eat many things cold as well as hot - loves cold pizza and hotdog, so I could get away with just cold items.

I'll look at the LL Bean lunch bags. I've got a little time to find something that works and return if I need to.

I would never think of sending milk to school - how do you keep that cold? I'll have to ask if they provide milk at snack time? They do provide snack in the pre-K class. It's a small school and no cafeteria, but they have a lunch service you have to order the week before. I'm going to make his lunches and will occasionally let him buy something.

egoldber
07-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I would never think of sending milk to school - how do you keep that cold?

It stays cold just fine with an ice pack. :) I make sure to put it right on the ice pack itself, but it's not a problem.

I could have her buy milk at school, but it can take FOREVER to get through the hot food lunch line and they already barely have enough time to eat IMO.

HannaAddict
07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
We bought the Laptop Lunch system, it is neat but make sure your child can open the things that need to be opened. I had no idea my guy was not able to open his containers (and he didn't ask for help!) until two days of pre-K with his intact lunch coming home. He would just tell me he was "saving" it and finally told our neighbor/sitter. I felt terrible. :(

We use wax paper baggies, not reusable but not as terrible for the environment as plastic and they work great. And we use cheap almost disposable containter (Glad?) for fruits, messy things. Haven't done any thermos yet for hot foods. We send milk too, it stays cold enough.

Did you get into the school you hoped to attend? Hope so!

niccig
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I like the look of those Rubbermaid Litterless Juice Box. You don't find a problem with sour milk by the time your DD gets home if she doesn't drink it all?

s7714
07-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I would never think of sending milk to school - how do you keep that cold?

At night I fill up one of the Foogo Thermos sippies and leave it in the fridge overnight so the stainless steel gets chilled all the way through. The milk stays really cold all day long. I do put a ice pack in the lunchbox as well.

The instructions for the Foogo's recommend to temper the stainless steel prior to filling it. I always either leave the thermos in the fridge overnight or fill the thermos with ice water and let it sit while I make the lunch before adding the beverage. Same with the hot container, I fill it with really hot water and let it sit a couple minutes before drying it and adding the food. I've found that doing this really makes a big difference in how long the food stays hot or cold.

niccig
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
We bought the Laptop Lunch system, it is neat but make sure your child can open the things that need to be opened. I had no idea my guy was not able to open his containers (and he didn't ask for help!) until two days of pre-K with his intact lunch coming home. He would just tell me he was "saving" it and finally told our neighbor/sitter. I felt terrible. :(

We use wax paper baggies, not reusable but not as terrible for the environment as plastic and they work great. And we use cheap almost disposable containter (Glad?) for fruits, messy things. Haven't done any thermos yet for hot foods. We send milk too, it stays cold enough.

Did you get into the school you hoped to attend? Hope so!

DS can open the laptop lunch box outer container sometimes. He can open the smaller container by himself. We're going to practice with it over the Summer, so he can get used to it. I hope the teachers do help. DS also needs help sometimes with his pants after going potty. They have a class get-together before school starts, so I'll ask the teachers how much assistance they will give. If it's not enough then I'll change lunch/clothes until DS can do things himself.

We did get into the school we wanted. Of course, I'm now worried how it will work out. It's part of the elementary school, and for me that's Big School. The class is pre-K and licensed as a daycare/preschool pre-K and I like what I've seen of the teachers. It's a developmental school, but I'll have to see if they walk the talk or not. I know some schools say a lot, but delivery is something different. I'm worried about the parents and if there are any cliques. I'm heard some nightmare stories from friends with older children at different schools. Everyone in our preschool was very friendly, so I'm crossing fingers it will be a good experience for us. DS is excited about going there, he really enjoyed his visit, so that's a good sign.

niccig
07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
At night I fill up one of the Foogo Thermos sippies and leave it in the fridge overnight so the stainless steel gets chilled all the way through. The milk stays really cold all day long. I do put a ice pack in the lunchbox as well.

The instructions for the Foogo's recommend to temper the stainless steel prior to filling it. I always either leave the thermos in the fridge overnight or fill the thermos with ice water and let it sit while I make the lunch before adding the beverage. Same with the hot container, I fill it with really hot water and let it sit a couple minutes before drying it and adding the food. I've found that doing this really makes a big difference in how long the food stays hot or cold.

Do you like the Foogo? I'm thinking of getting one.

s7714
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you like the Foogo? I'm thinking of getting one.

I like them because they seem to do a really good job of keeping things hot or cold. The only thing I dislike about them is their weight. I mean holding one it's not that heavy, but by the time you get the whole lunch packed they can really make a difference, especially if you have the drink thermos and the hot container in there at the same time. And FWIW we never had any problems with leaking or anything, provided DD didn't forget to close the sippy lid all the way.

My DD decided about mid-year that she no longer wanted to take milk for lunch and only wanted water. At that point I frequently just threw a regular sippy in her lunch since water doesn't have to stay cold. I'm planning on finding some thinner walled s/s containers this year for sending things that don't have to stay hot or cold to cut down on the weight.

egoldber
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I have never had a problem with the milk going bad in the Rubbermaid boxes. Sarah sometimes finishes the milk after school. Amy uses them for daycare and she sometimes finishes her milk on the way home and it's been in there all day.

ETA: I looked at Target today and it was Gladware that I meant, not Ziplock. :dizzy:

niccig
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I have never had a problem with the milk going bad in the Rubbermaid boxes. Sarah sometimes finishes the milk after school. Amy uses them for daycare and she sometimes finishes her milk on the way home and it's been in there all day.

ETA: I looked at Target today and it was Gladware that I meant, not Ziplock. :dizzy:

Good to know - and if it's lying flat it doesn't leak at all. I like that. We have Sigg and Keen Kanteen bottles for water, but I don't put milk or juice in those.

niccig
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I like them because they seem to do a really good job of keeping things hot or cold. The only thing I dislike about them is their weight. I mean holding one it's not that heavy, but by the time you get the whole lunch packed they can really make a difference, especially if you have the drink thermos and the hot container in there at the same time. And FWIW we never had any problems with leaking or anything, provided DD didn't forget to close the sippy lid all the way.

I have to walk DS into school for drop off/pick up, so I'll be able to carry the lunch bag. But once he is older, he'll be able to do carpool line and will then carry his bag.

bubbaray
07-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I use the Rubbermaid Take Along (http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/ecommerce/product.jhtml?prodId=HpdProd230003&catId=HpdCat230001) sandwich sized containers for sandwiches. I use smaller Glad and Ziplock containers for things like pasta, casseroles or rice dishes. I use the Rubbermaid Littlerless juiceboxes that Beth linked to for DD#1 and various Playtex or other straw sippies for DD#2.

For their new daycare, the lunches are on shelves so we send icepacks. Everything stays cold (including the yogurt I send). The sippies go in the fridge, but they don't have to.

If you are really concerned about the milk, you could put it into the Rubbermaid containers and freeze it, so that would act like a 2nd icepack.

I get my icepacks at the dollar store.

FWIW, I pack the snacks the night before (applesauce cup, granola bar, oatbar, Bits N Bites (homemade, lower sodium -- cheerios, whole wheat goldfish, shreddies & alphabet whole grain pretzels). In the mornings I add either frozen pasta/casserole or make sandwiches, plus a small container of yogurt for both girls. I don't like soggy premade sandwiches so I don't make them for the girls. Sometimes I add in fresh fruit or veggies,though they usually refuse those anyway, so its a waste of time/energy.

We are currently using Thermos Disney Princess lunchboxes -- at the request of the girls when they started their new daycare. *I* prefer the ones from Costco that have the zip-liner, much easier to keep clean. I might switch back to those when these princess ones get totally icky. So far, I'm having to wash them daily which is NOT fun.

KrisM
07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I use the Rubbermaid Litterless juice boxes to send their milk.

Where do you find these? I've looked at Meijer and Target with no luck. The Container Store online has them, but I'd rather not have to order them.

Thanks.

bubbaray
07-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I get mine at Walmart. They are sold pretty much everywhere Rubbermaid is sold here in Canada, even drugstores.

KrisM
07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I get mine at Walmart. They are sold pretty much everywhere Rubbermaid is sold here in Canada, even drugstores.

Will try to get to a Walmart and look. I'll check the drugstores too.

niccig
07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Kris, I've got a container store near me. I can get them for you. I'll PM you.

bubbaray
07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Here, they are usually with the Rubbermaid various styles of food storage -- and adult Rubbermaid water bottles. In Walmart, they are in the same aisle (in virtually every WM I've been in the US and Canada) with the lunchkits, etc.. They are also in grocery stores.

egoldber
07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
My Target used to carry them, but no longer does.

I actually found them at Wegman's (grocery store), but I know that's an East Coast chain.