PDA

View Full Version : Any bluegrass fans out there?

MartiesMom2B
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I've been playing the banjo since March and I've been looking for songs/bands to listen too. I'm a big fan of The Cherryholmes and Earl Scruggs. I also like the Dixie Chicks bluegrassy sounds and Alison Krauss. I'm just looking for new stuff to listen to. I haven't really heard anything that catches my fancy on bluegrass junction on XM.

TIA.

dylansnan
07-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Nickel Creek! Love them :-)

NN317
07-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Crooked Still
The Dillards
Wailin' Jennys
Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys
Ricky Skaggs
Del McCoury
The Johnson Mountain Boys
Be Good Tanyas

There are loads more that are great, but that is all I can think of right now.

TonFirst
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Crooked Still
The Dillards
Wailin' Jennys
Ricky Skaggs
Del McCoury
Be Good Tanyas

Yes, yes, yes - especially Del & The Boys and the Be Good Tanyas.

And you mustn't overlook Bela Fleck - he is the banjo freaking master. And I am smitten with Abigail Washburn these days - if you buy nothing else, check out her new album with The Sparrow Quartet - that way you get a healthy dose of both Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck.

Snow mom
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Crooked Still
The Dillards
Wailin' Jennys
Ricky Skaggs
Del McCoury
Be Good Tanyas

Some good suggestions here. Also would suggest Railroad Earth. The members of Nickle Creek have some separate stuff too.

I am so impressed that you are learning to play the banjo!

marie
07-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd add Rhonda Vincent to the list above. . .

marie
mama to
9/03
12/07

Corie
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I love the banjo!!

My uncle plays the banjo. He's been playing for as long as I can
remember. He has a stage set up in their basement. There is
a microphone, amplifiers, etc. He also plays the harmonica.

We are going to see them in August and my DD is so excited to
sing on his stage. :)

let73
07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
You may like Gillian Welch, Uncle Earl and Elizabeth Cotten.

MartiesMom2B
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Keep the list coming. I love that I have so many bands to research. I know about 5 songs - I'm not a very fast picker. My hopes is that Martie will violin and then I can get Mei to learn the mandolin and we can have our own little band. LOL

PS. I feel like I should put in a plug for my instructor. He has a cd that he has put out that is based on the Civil War. I like it. www.rogersandjohnson.net. He's the nicest guy in the world. He laughs along with me when I screw up so bad that I crack up and can't play anymore.

squimp
07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
I was gonna say Gillian Welch - she has a few banjo songs. And Wilco too, not necessarily bluegrass, but they have some banjo songs. Love the banjo! Good for you girl!

Here's a Wilco song I was thinking of....

http://www.pandora.com/music/song/wilco/whats+world+got+in+store

Jana

let73
07-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I was gonna say Gillian Welch - she has a few banjo songs. And Wilco too, not necessarily bluegrass, but they have some banjo songs. Love the banjo! Good for you girl!

Jana

Love Wilco! And Uncle Tupelo...

octmom
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Not strictly banjo, but check out Larry Keel. My brother hired Larry and his band to play at a country BBQ engagement party he threw for me and DH 10 years ago. It was so much fun!

http://www.larrykeel.com/

LBW
07-09-2009, 09:56 AM
The Avett Brothers - cute guys playing bluegrass! Love em. You can check out their videos on youtube.

MommyofAmaya
07-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Anybody into the Bad Livers? I've recently rediscovered them after finding a tape...lol...from 1993. I'm listening to Delusions of Banjer. They are bluegrass band with a modern touch.

brittone2
07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
That's so cool. DS loooooves banjos LOL and would be your best friend if he could ;)

We weren't bluegrass fans before moving to NC, but we are now :)

I have to find this random CD DS has...I just asked him and he said he doesn't know what happened to it. It is a random compilation of bands and songs...my mom picked it up 2nd hand somewhere and he loves it.

I assume you know some of the local groups like Big Fat Gap?

I'm looking at a few we have from iTunes on this computer:

We like the song Run Mountain by Tony Trischka
Brown County Breakdown...it looks like it is by the Bluegrass Album Band, Bluegrass Instrumentals Volume 5
Old Joe Clark (artist listed as Bluegrass Banjo? No idea if that's right)

I'll see if I can find DS's good CD later. THere are a few great ones on there.

octmom
07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Just thought of another album you might like: Garcia (as in Jerry Garcia)/ Grisman (Dave Grisman) Not For Kids Only. http://www.amazon.com/Not-Kids-Only-Jerry-Garcia/dp/B000003913

Shady Grove is also fabulous, but since you have kids, I thought I would recommend NFKO.

wellyes
07-09-2009, 12:44 PM
The Carolina Chocolate Drops!

StantonHyde
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Some of Emmy Lou Harris's stuff can be bluegrassy.
Ricky Skaggs
The 3 Pickers CD (Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson and somebody else--amazing)
The Whites
The Cox Family
Oh Sister--a compilation CD of female blue grass singers. There is also one called "The Angels are Singing"
Ralph Stanley
June Carter
There are some great Bill Monroe Tribute CDs that are awesome
Any of the May the Circle Be Unbroken CDs by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and some great artists who sing with them