PDA

View Full Version : High Altitude

bigpassport
07-09-2009, 02:02 AM
We've planned to take DS (5 weeks old) to a mountain cabin this weekend to visit with family. We live at 2,000 feet and the cabin is at 8,400 feet. Does anyone know if that change of elevation might cause DS altitude sickness? It just occurred to me at the last minute that maybe high altitude isn't ok for an infant. TIA!

eidean
07-09-2009, 02:23 AM
I would think 8000 wouldn't be too big of a deal, but I wouldn't climb any 14ers. We took DS up high at 7 months with no issues and even went hiking (didn't even think about it until we came back) but of course he was a little older then, and we also live higher. I'd call your ped tomorrow and ask what they think and also what all the signs of altitude sickness are in infants so you can be on the lookout. But IME I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting altitude sickness at just 8000 feet, that's usually more in the double digits.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-09-2009, 02:35 AM
My DD was born at 7,000. I wouldn't take her at a young age above 10,000. 8,000 doesn't sound bad to me. You could always call your Ped.

bigpassport
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Update from the pediatrician...No problem with the altitude but they recommended feeding or having a pacifier on the way up to help with the pressure in the ears. Thanks for the help!