PDA

View Full Version : 7-mo old not rolling over -- problem?

julevizamom
07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
She lifts up on her arms and will reach for things, but gives up just short of rolling over and will just suck her thumb -- belly or back, it doesn't matter. All the other babies her age are on the move. Should I be worried?

Snow mom
07-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Just for clarification, has she ever rolled over? I think they only need to do it once to check it off the skills list. DD just started regularly (and by that I just mean a few times a week) rolling back to tummy. She rolls more from tummy to back but isn't the type that rolls from place to place. If you leave her lying down you can pretty much expect her to be in the same place when you look back. Ever since she learned to sit unpropped she has no interest in lying down so I don't really stress about the rolling. Even if your DD has never rolled over I don't know if I'd be all that concerned. Kids do things at their own pace. Is she doing other physical things that are appropriate for her age? You can always call the ped if you are concerned but I think the milestone list is largely something that exists to make parents worry.

ETA: I see you said "All the other babies her age are on the move." At my DDs daycare there is a clump of babies 6-8 mos. Only one of them is crawling or otherwise really moving around on their own.

julevizamom
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks. Yes, she has rolled over, but not in a long time. She sits up very nicely, so she also doesn't get a lot of lying down time. And, when I say other babies are on the move, I just mean they're at least trying to move (by wriggling, scooting, rolling, or whatever). So, I guess my concern is that she doesn't even seem to have the desire. I'm sure I'm just be over-concerned. Thanks for calming my nerves! :)

mls115
07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
DD was sitting strong for some time but not rolling. Then at 7.5 months (in a matter of about 10days) she rolled one way, then the other, started clapping, cut teeth, starting MAMAMAMA and BABABABA. I was concerned about the rolling - then, BAM! it all seemed to happen at once. She was crawling about 2 weeks later. A friend told me to kind of "show her" by holding down one leg straight - then bend other leg and cross it over the straight one. Twisting her to show her muscles how to maneuver over. I did that for some time before she actually rolled. But, maybe it helped.

BeccaB.
07-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Did you call your ped and ask if she/he was concerned? That always makes me feel better about stuff like that.