PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Baby Bargains book! Which Britax should I buy?

Nechums
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
DS is growing out of his SnugRide (the smaller version). We'd like to get a Britax, but I don't remember the pros and cons of what's out there. Can anyone else isolate a Britax for us to buy? Here are some aspects that may help:

- We drive a 2005 Toyota Camry
- DS is average height and weight for his age
- We'd like to RF for as long as possible
- Money is not an issue, so any Britax would do

Thanks in advance!

Neatfreak
07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
My top three would be a Boulevard, a Marathon, and the Roundabout 50. The Boulevard has more to offer, feature-wise.

Just so you know, companies other than Britax have seats on the market with greater RFing weight limits, if that is the most important thing to you.

jjordan
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I agree: Boulevard, Marathon, then Roundabout 50, in that order if price isn't a concern. Check for sales at TravelingTikes.com, AlbeeBaby.com, and Hipmonkey.com (because even if price isn't a concern, it's still nice to get a bargain!).

vonfirmath
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Personally, I prefer the Marathon over the Boulevard. So go and check both out and see what you like.

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
There are some fun "couture" Marathons, so be sure to shop around and find one that suits your style :)

Joolsplus2
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
And I love the RA50...as long as you don't need the seatbelt lockoffs, I like it a little better than even the MA :ROTFLMAO:
They are all divine. :thumbsup: (Babies R Us has all of them, are you near there? You can play with them, even take them to your car and give it a trial install).

:)

arivecchi
07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I love my Blvd. Have used it with both kiddos and it's great because they can sleep so comfortably in it with the headwings. Their heads don't flop to the side.

Nechums
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Advocate? Are the side impact cusions really worth it or just a "gimmick" for Britax to offer yet an even more expensive seat.

Joolsplus2
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd buy an Advocate if my car were a deathtrap with terrible side impact ratings... but for a newer car with safer design overall, I don't think it's worth the money, personally.

vonfirmath
07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
My son sleeps fine in both the Marathon and the RA50. I've seen no "Head flop to the side"

alekazamm
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi,

Newbie here, hope it's OK for me to add to the original poster's question. I am in the same situation, and was wondering if people can elaborate a bit more on why the Boulevard might be worth the extra money and does anyone have experience with the MA CS and Blvd CS vs just good ol' MA/Blvd? Which other brand has longer RF capacity as a pp has mentioned? Thanks so much!!!
:wavey:

codex57
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
CS has been widely reported as garbage. Doesn't work as advertised.

That said, the Blvd CS has the Cowmoo cover. Many people consider the cowmoo cover to be worth the cost of the Blvd CS. I wouldn't bother with the Marathon CS cuz the Marathon has had the Cowmoo cover for quite some time now.

Blvd has shoulder straps that don't need to be rethreaded to adjust. You just turn a knob and slide it up or down to the desired height. Very convenient, particularly if more than one kid shares the seat. The other thing is the head wings. Very soft and provide extra side impact protection to the child's head. The Marathon is quite safe, but some parents feel comforted knowing their child's head will hit the soft sides of the head wings (and won't have much side whiplash risk cuz the headwings are pretty close to the head and will contain the head right away) instead of the hard shell of the seat. Bang your face (not hand cuz your face is more delicate and is what's gonna hit it in a real accident) against the insde of one of those seats. Don't have to do it that hard. You'll see what I'm talking about.

vonfirmath
07-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Bang your face (not hand cuz your face is more delicate and is what's gonna hit it in a real accident) against the insde of one of those seats. Don't have to do it that hard. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I have banged my face against the inside of both the Marathon and the RA50 (because of the way I carry them this happens without trying) and I still don't get what you mean by this. It doesn't hurt or feel especially hard. Nicely padded.

Joolsplus2
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
We need a carseatblog entry of this: Codex's correct 'bang your face into a Britax' method. :loveeyes:

I'm sure the BV wings, being a slightly softer plastic that will 'give' a little more when hit, may make them slightly softer...I mean, that's what you are paying for: head protection. But regular seats with normal covers and EPS foam are a world apart from hitting your head on a plastic shell (like a Scenera)...the EPS foam DOES 'give' under the head and spread out forces and prevent injury.

lorinick
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I have the Ma and BV. Imo I do think my son sleeps better in the BV than the MA. I do like the extra protection that the BV does provide. But I like all of them. I think the RA50 is a great deal and I would have purchased that seat over my MA. Since I dont' use the lock offs.

codex57
07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I have banged my face against the inside of both the Marathon and the RA50 (because of the way I carry them this happens without trying) and I still don't get what you mean by this. It doesn't hurt or feel especially hard. Nicely padded.

My face is apparently a lot more delicate than yours. That's sort of embarrassing. http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/182_blushing.gif

AnnieW625
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
We have a Marathon for DD and I don't particularly care for the seat much and DD didn't like it for 18 mos. or so (and never complained about the Triumph we had her in DH's car). I think for the $279 regular price it's a little expensive for what you get (we didn't know any different when we bought it and paid full price....bummer!). Honestly without sounding too silly and petty I feel a bit duped that it took Britax so long to come out with the Roundabout 50 because like others have said it's a Marathon without the lockoff clips and has a 50lb vs. 65lb weight limit (which DD and most kids will out grow the MA because of 48" height well before the 65lb weight limit) and on sale with the recent $50 off is around $150 cheaper for a nice gender neutral pattern (with the MA it's usually the girly prints that are on sale for less than $200).

I do like the extra head wings of the Blvd and love the idea of not having to rethread so if I had to buy another Britax now that's probably what I'd get. Albee Baby has a girly pattern on sale for $219, and a black/aqua pattern for $259. Even less than what I paid for the MA in 2006!
http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-boulevard-converitble-car-seat-aqua.html

o_mom
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
We have a Marathon for DD and I don't particularly care for the seat much and DD didn't like it for 18 mos. or so (and never complained about the Triumph we had her in DH's car). I think for the $279 regular price it's a little expensive for what you get (we didn't know any different when we bought it and paid full price....bummer!). Honestly without sounding too silly and petty I feel a bit duped that it took Britax so long to come out with the Roundabout 50 because like others have said it's a Marathon without the lockoff clips and has a 50lb vs. 65lb weight limit (which DD and most kids will out grow the MA because of 48" height well before the 65lb weight limit) and on sale with the recent $50 off is around $150 cheaper for a nice gender neutral pattern (with the MA it's usually the girly prints that are on sale for less than $200).

I do like the extra head wings of the Blvd and love the idea of not having to rethread so if I had to buy another Britax now that's probably what I'd get. Albee Baby has a girly pattern on sale for $219, and a black/aqua pattern for $259. Even less than what I paid for the MA in 2006!
http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-boulevard-converitble-car-seat-aqua.html

Actually, it didn't take them this long. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe was the exact same seat out three years ago, but they couldn't get it to sell until they dropped the price to clear them out. :shrug:

AnnieW625
07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Actually, it didn't take them this long. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe was the exact same seat out three years ago, but they couldn't get it to sell until they dropped the price to clear them out. :shrug:

That must have been a regionally marketed seat because I don't ever recall seeing the seat here in Southern California. Bad marketing if you ask me.

o_mom
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
That must have been a regionally marketed seat because I don't ever recall seeing the seat here in Southern California. Bad marketing if you ask me.

The were sold all over the US at BRU, Baby Depot and at various online retailers. FP sucks at marketing baby gear, no question of that. Obviously Britax feels the same since they are releasing the same seat at the same price.