PDA

View Full Version : For those that use CIO, what do you do when DC stands up in crib and can't get down?

Nechums
07-09-2009, 11:57 AM
We've been very successful for a while with DS falling asleep on his own, for both naps and nightime sleep and never had to use CIO. But ever since he learned to pull himself up, that's all he does. No matter how tired he is, he stands up and then starts crying because he can't get back down. Each time we go in and place him back down, but the second we walk out of the room, he's already in sitting position about to stand up.

I'm thinking the only option left is CIO. But what do we do when he stands up? Just leave him there until he either a)falls down or b)falls asleep standing up? I feel that those are both such cruel options. Anyone have any suggestions of what worked for them?

JBaxter
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
after 10 minutes go in and put him down and pat his back esp if you know he is standing up

gatorsmom
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there are some times when CIO doesn't work really well and this might be one of them. (Btw, when I say "CIO" I dont' mean just leaving him in his crib to scream for an hour. Or even a half hour. Just wanted to pacify those mommies who abhor CIO).

Since he is doing pretty well learning to soothe himself, could you try holding him/rocking him/walking with him until he is very drowsy and THEN put him down? He'd still be awake but just on the verge of falling asleep.

Gotta go but will try to remember more what I did with my boys who also had a hard time wiht this.

Melaine
07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
after 10 minutes go in and put him down and pat his back esp if you know he is standing up

:yeahthat:

I don't think laying him right down messes with the CIO system at all. Just make sure you don't scoop him up and hold him at all, just straight down. It won't be a long phase that he is stuck standing up.

newg
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm trying to remember what we did with DD....she did this same thing.....

I think I would give her a few minutes to see if she could figure it out (laying back down on her own)......then I would go in quickly/quietly and lay her back down......I think I read somewhere to not talk, not make eye contact even....just go in real quick put him back on his back and walk right out.......
Maybe during the day work on pulling up and sitting back down on his own, so when he does it at night he'll start to feel comfortable laying back down on his own.....

AnnieW625
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I did the same as JBaxter. If the crying went on for more than 15-20 minutes then I'd go in and offer more comfort.

justincase
07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I went through this with DS. You've gotten some great advice but my bad news is that none of it worked for me. No matter what I did, he would stand back up and start crying again. It was enough to break my heart. If I went in and laid him down, he'd just pop back up. If I laid him down drowsy, he'd pop back up. If I went in and rubbed his back, no change. A couple times he actually did fall asleep standing up and topple over... at which point he stood back up and started it all over again. So I have zero advice! But I went back and looked in his journal and it "only" lasted five days. There was just another thread on this same thing, too, so you are not the only one! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328528
Hang in there and may you have better luck than I did!

NOLAmom08
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Sorry, I don't have advice about bedtime, so pardon my question about something similar that I've been experiencing is at bath time. DS wants to pull up and stand in bath. I sit him back down time and time again, which just frustrates him and he will begin to scream. I have a bathmat in the tub, so its not nearly a slippery as the first time he did it, but I worry about him hurting himself. Is there any ideas on how to get DS to understand that standing is not allowed in the bath? BTW he is 8 months old.

neeleymartin
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM

I don't think laying him right down messes with the CIO system at all. Just make sure you don't scoop him up and hold him at all, just straight down. It won't be a long phase that he is stuck standing up.

be sure not to say anything...nothing...not a word. just do it and get out. ;)

kijip
07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Pretty soon he will be able to get himself back down from standing, so it's at least a temporary thing. JBaxter's solution seems reasonable for the interim.

newg
07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry, I don't have advice about bedtime, so pardon my question about something similar that I've been experiencing is at bath time. DS wants to pull up and stand in bath. I sit him back down time and time again, which just frustrates him and he will begin to scream. I have a bathmat in the tub, so its not nearly a slippery as the first time he did it, but I worry about him hurting himself. Is there any ideas on how to get DS to understand that standing is not allowed in the bath? BTW he is 8 months old.

Do you have any bath toys that are only fun when sitting down in the water? DD has some swim rings that she's plays with in the tub and some fp bath animals that kinda sink when they fill with water......there's even some bath markers and stuff....maybe draw on the lower part of the tub so he has to sit to interact with what you draw.....

We've actually found that washing DD's body is easier when she's standing, facing away from us....I can wash her legs, butt, and lady parts without the water washing away the soap...
Good luck!!

Babymakes3
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I went through this with DS. You've gotten some great advice but my bad news is that none of it worked for me. No matter what I did, he would stand back up and start crying again. It was enough to break my heart. If I went in and laid him down, he'd just pop back up. If I laid him down drowsy, he'd pop back up. If I went in and rubbed his back, no change. A couple times he actually did fall asleep standing up and topple over... at which point he stood back up and started it all over again. So I have zero advice! But I went back and looked in his journal and it "only" lasted five days. There was just another thread on this same thing, too, so you are not the only one! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328528
Hang in there and may you have better luck than I did!

That is my thread! I know exactly what your going thru as we are still fighting it for almost 3 weeks now! Only difference is that he will sit back down from a standing position...he just won't lay down! It's so frustrating!
Tonight I made sure his belly was full and we played chase crawling around on the floor until he was deliriously laughing, then DH did bath time with him and I nursed until he was drowsy and he was out like a light and stayed that way! I don't know what to tell you to help as the whole thing is beyond me! Hopefully its a phase they quickly grow out of.

Is he able to stand and get back down using toys/furniture...other than in his crib?

jellibeans
07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I tried the walk in, lay him down, and don't say anything but it didn't work. So my advice if that doesn't work is to go in, lay him down and say "Go to sleep" sternly, but not scarily mean. But this could be separation anxiety and maybe nothing will help but to let him cio. It sucks. sorry.

Nechums
07-10-2009, 07:45 AM
So last night I tried it. I put him down when he was definately sleepy. But of course the second I put him down, he stood up and when I left the room he started crying. Every 10 minutes I went in to lay him back down and finally after 45 minutes or so he fell asleep. But he was so worked up over this, that he woke up a lot during the night. I guess this is a by-product of the CIO method. Oh well. We'll see what happens tonight.

traciann
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
My DD is doing this now. It really is a short lived phase. They will learn how to get down by themselves pretty quickly. What I am doing currently is if she is standing I go in and put her back down and leave again. I have to do it a couple of times before she stops getting up.