PDA

View Full Version : craigs list car seat

soontobe
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
is it okay to buy a used carseat off of craigslist?

o_mom
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you trust a stranger on Craigslist with your child's life?

That's pretty much what you are doing if you buy a seat there. You have no way of knowing if that seat has been crashed, the straps ironed, soaked in harsh cleaners, etc. About the only way I *might* consider it is if it were NIB, with tags still attached and a very recent date of manufacture (so they couldn't have had time to use it) but in that case you probably aren't getting much of a discount and may as well buy new and get a warranty with it.

infocrazy
07-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I plan to list our RA on CL dependent on our daycare situation changes. I think that the information in the listing would be a good guideline. If they list the fact that there are no accidents, date of manufacture, etc... it may be from someone who knows carseat rules and would never misrepresent the seat...

That said, you don't know the person you will be buying from and have no way of knowing they are truthful or not. I personally wouldn't buy one off CL. Especially since Target has their carseat clearance going on now. I got my RA for half price and have gotten MA for as much as 75% off...you have to stalk the stores but it is worth it!

denna
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I would never buy a carseat used. You just never know what condition the seat is in, or what may or may not have been done to the seat. I really dont think its worth it. Carseat safety is one of my big things as a mom though. Im kindof this way about all baby products, Im very leary about buying used things for my newborn from ppl I dont know. Now handme downs from close friends/ families is a different story but you just never know w/ baby products and what ppl have done to them. Especially baby seats.

Melaine
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I am willing to buy almost anything under the sun used, with the exception of a car seat. I would rather by a less expensive brand, but get it new. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

christiedavid3
07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
No way. I also buy almost everything else used, but never a car seat.

AnnieW625
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Unless it was from a friend or family and I knew the history then no I would not buy a car seat used. Now if the seat was new in box and still had the original receipt, I trusted the seller, and the price was good then yes maybe I would think about it.

Snow mom
07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
IME everyone on Craigslist says "never been in an accident" but I doubt that it's true of all seats on there. I wouldn't do it. If you keep your eyes open you should be able to find a good deal on a new seat.

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Here is one that advertises "this seat has been in an accident." I'm surprised they were that truthful. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bab/1261018594.html

kijip
07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
It's not a risk I would take, especially given that the sale prices on the seats I buy are the same or not much higher than what people want for them used.

That said, if someone is educated and astute enough to stop using a newer/newish seat when it has been in an accident, I personally doubt they are the sort to sell a seat that has been involved in an accident. I think if they are going to try and sell a damaged seat, they are more likely to just keep it and use it themselves.

Another issue with used seats is making sure all the parts and manuals are included/available.

mom2binsd
07-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Buying a used seat means you have no warranty or recourse possibly if you have a problem.

Some people don't know that you aren't supposed to wash the harness straps with anything but a damp cloth (no soaking or using harsh sprays).

It's just too much of a liability to buy one from an unknown person.

Joolsplus2
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Here is one that advertises "this seat has been in an accident." I'm surprised they were that truthful. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bab/1261018594.html

Interesting! What they are saying is, "It's not good enough for my child, and Graco told me it must be replaced, but hey, it's good enough for YOUR kid!"

Snow mom
07-10-2009, 08:17 AM

That said, if someone is educated and astute enough to stop using a newer/newish seat when it has been in an accident, I personally doubt they are the sort to sell a seat that has been involved in an accident. I think if they are going to try and sell a damaged seat, they are more likely to just keep it and use it themselves.

Actually, I think that's exactly what is going on in the ad above. The seller states it was "only used for four months, great condition blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, it was in my car when the car was rear-ended so I'm not going to use it with my kid anymore but you can use it with yours." The add leaves me a bit :47:

BeccaB.
07-12-2009, 12:30 AM
No way. I also buy almost everything else used, but never a car seat.

:yeahthat:

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 01:26 AM
I would buy a used car seat COVER, but never a used car seat, from anyone -- even someone I knew.

I am, however, trying to sell my infant bucket on CL. LOL

801kelle
07-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think that is a good idea.. as others have said you don't know if that carseat has ever been in a crash.

I don't think it is worth the money you will save vs buying a new one. RIght now I just saw on some site there is "'Britax Bailout Sale" or something to that effect but it was a britax sale.. You well have better piece of mind getting a brand new seat.. and feel good about getting a brand new one on sale vs buying a used seat, getting a good deal and not knowing if it has been in a accident.

soontobe
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
where did you see the "britax blowout sale"?
thanks!!!

801kelle
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
where did you see the "britax blowout sale"?
thanks!!!

Not sure I was on a kids website and noticed the ad.. but here are some sites that have britax on sale.. you would have to research to see who has best deal... GOOD LUCK:

www.hipmonkey.com

www.elitecarseats.com

www.babycatalog.com

www.diapers.com

www.travelingtikes.com

www.adolcebaby.com

http://britaxsafety.com/?gclid=CM7mpamc0ZsCFRlcagodfyyHLA

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax.html?gclid=CPb677Oc0ZsCFQ6jagodzG60Jg