PDA

View Full Version : What age for bike w training wheels?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-09-2009, 04:38 PM
We have a Trek trike that Nick could probably ride until he is 10 it is so large. Wondering when you introduced a real bike. He hates his balance bike.

brittone2
07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I think a big bike, even w/ training wheels can be intimidating. Can you get him fitted at a bike shop? Our local bike shops also offer some great used/traded in options (nice brands..Trek, etc.), which might be a good option if you are afraid he won't use a smaller model for very long.

My 4-5 year old neighbors use bikes w/ training wheels (DS uses his balance bike).

Ceepa
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
My kids do not like riding the balance bike at all. We found 16" bike introduced with training wheels worked well. Then depending on size (esp. length of legs) it could work for a big 3 yo up to a smaller 6 yo.

lil_acorn
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
at toys r us they have that measurement board so you know what size bike he needs.

Corie
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Neither of my kids liked the balance bike. It never got used.

My son is riding a little bike with training wheels. I have no idea
the size. It was given to us by some neighbors. They just dropped
off 2 bikes in our garage one day.

This was last summer. So he rode the bike all last summer and he
is riding it this summer too. He is super fast and never wants to use
his brakes.

He is 4 yrs. old.

brittone2
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
My DS was borderline on a 16 inch bike at age 4 (he's not very tall...like 25th percentile?) when measured at a bike shop. He could *barely* touch w/ his tippy toes ;)

o_mom
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Most 4-5 yos can use a bike with training wheels. DS2 had ridden bikes with training wheels at friends' houses from around 3.5 on and most of the 4-5 yos in the neighborhood have them. At just turned 4 he is now riding a 16" Trek without training wheels and he is on the very small side of things.

If the bike is too big, watch CL for a smaller version. The Treks come up frequently (we have bought two in the last month) and I know I have seen them on the one in your area as well.

khm
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
My son had a little 12" bike with training wheels last summer. He turned 4 at the end of the summer and is a 50%-tile kiddo. He LOVES that little thing. He also had a balance bike, which he didn't like at all. THIS summer, the balance bike was now too small, but he did start to use it. He'd shoot down the driveway with it. Sigh.

He also moved up to his sister's 16" with training wheels. So, yeah, three bikes. At some point, it dawned on me to take off the training wheels on the 12" and he learned how to ride without training wheels in 15 minutes. Now, he rides the 16" without training wheels. But, learning on the 12" was totally the way to go. He'd likely have been too scared on the 16", he's not very adventurous. ;)

Jen841
07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
We learned that size does matter for bikes : )

#1 got his training wheel bike at 3 from a garage sale. Little bike. He could touch the ground easily with this feet, just like you want to when you ride a bike. We upgraded his bike to a bigger one for his 5th bday.

#2 got #1's old bike when he was 2.5 and one year later is a whiz on it (3.5). Honestly I think he could ride without training wheels, but can't let him steel the thunder from big brother who mastered the 2 wheeler this spring.

We never did a balance bike, just used what we had.

spanannie
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Bike w/ training wheels at 3 or 4 . . . rode w/o training wheels at almost 6.

ETA: We just bought Grace a Trek Float bike. It has no training wheels--you ride w/o pedals and then add the pedals. What is awesome about this bike is that it has a hand brake. If Zach had a hand brake on his bike, he wouldn't have had his bad accident.

niccig
07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Check with a bike store for size. DS had a 12" balance bike and then we moved him to a 12" pedal bike without training wheels. We were hoping for a 16" bike, but the guy at the bike store showed us that it was too big and heavy for him and would be too difficult to ride. You don't want to make learning to ride more difficult. We were told that they have to be able to put their feet flat on the ground while sitting in the seat regardless if training wheels or no training wheels. My Dad borrowed a 16" bike for our last visit and eventhough DS rides very fast on the 12", he couldn't touch the ground when he stopped the 16" bike. He needs a couple more inches of leg length.

Sorry he doesn't like the balance bike. DS used ours for 9 months then moved on to a pedal bike without any problems. But not all kids like the same thing.

KrisM
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
DS got a 12" bike with training wheels for his 3rd birthday. He used the training wheels for a year and learned a 2-wheeler by practicing on the balance bike, just after turning 4. He got a 16" bike a month or so after 4 and he has lots of growing room in it at 5.

DD rides the 12" with training wheels now and she's 3.

rlu
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
DS was 4.5 when he got his 16" bike for Christmas 2008. He had asked Santa for a bike, so that made it easy for us to take him to the store to size him (telling him Santa needed us to determine which size). He is still using the training wheels but has asked repeatedly to take them off - maybe next month we will. He seems to balance pretty well on his scooter (and has asked for a skateboard!)

He already zips along on his bike - I'll have to take up running to keep up once we take off those training wheels. (He stops at the corners and at any driveways with bushes/fences we can't see around).

lizajane
07-09-2009, 07:11 PM
ds1 rode a bike with training wheels at 3. he outgrew it and moved up. he started riding without training wheels at 5, i think. or just before 5. he is VERY tall, so whatever size it was probably wouldn't help you! dylan rides with training wheels now. he is 4.

alexsmommy
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Small bike with training wheels was 3.5 around here. It was nice to have that size bike when he was ready to take the training wheels off because it was so low he felt confident learning. We took off the training wheels at 5.5 and he got a larger bike this summer (6.5). I'd get a 12" gender neutral one - and not a spendy one. Wait for the 16" which they will ride for a while to spend big bucks. I was bummed, DS1 was just a smidge too short to go to 16" so we have a 14" but since we have two boys I know it will get used when he outgrows it. Probably next summer - sigh.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks all, looks like we are maybe even a bit overdue. Am going to start stalking Craig's list, a new Trek is not in the budget but they are so nice!

Neatfreak
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
We gave DD1 a 16" two-wheeler with training wheels for her 5th birthday.