PDA

View Full Version : Help....DD has a fever!

Melaine
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
We actually haven't had to deal with a significant fever yet so I really don't know how worried I should be or what I should do. Underarm temp is 102.7....do you add a degree for real temp? I already gave her Ibuprophen, what else should I do? Is this bad, should I think about urgent care?

DietCokeLover
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Most doctors are going to want to know what the rectal temperature is. How long ago did you give meds? If you just gave them, I'd wait an hour to see if it has any effect before you think about going to Urgent Care.

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I would give ibuprofen and see what happens. Give your ped a call if you are concerned though.

My ds had a 105(!) fever a few weeks ago. It responded very promptly to medicine, he was eating, drinking and engaging with us. The fever broke very shortly after that. He had a fever off and on the day leading up to that # and then after the meds wore off but it was usually around 102-103 between doses.

I would have called if he were out of sorts or hadn't responded to meds.

Beth

kjreif
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
How old is she? Usually for under the arm you add a degree, but just like the PP said, most docs will want to know the rectal temp. I've been told for 4 months or under that you can just do tylenol for fevers 100.4 or under. Higher than that, they want to see them asap. For older kids, you can alternate motrin and tylenol every 4 hours to keep the fever down. Hope that helps.

Tondi G
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Give her the motrin/advil every 6 to 8 hours... if for some reason the motrin isn't carrying her through you can give Tylenol in between. Lukewarm baths are good too if she seems really uncomfortable... but make sure it isn't too cool cause she will feel really COLD!

Usually with a fever my ped doesn't really worry until somewhere around 105. If it is controlled by the meds then they say just keep them hydrated and as comfortable as possible.

here is a site with some info about fevers

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html#

Has she been sick otherwise... cold/congestion or tummy? If she had a cold recently and still has some congestion she might have an Ear Infection. A friend of mine's DD used to get uti's and a fever was one of the symptoms.

Hope she feels better soon. Fevers suck... one of the only things that really takes my kids down. I always know they have a fever when they willingly nap!

Melaine
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
We at least have a minute clinic in the CVS if we need to go there they are open until 7:30.

o_mom
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
At almost 2.5 years old, there is no need for a rectal temp. 102.7 or 103.7 isn't really much different in how I would respond, so don't worry about adding a degree. (If you talk to the doctor, just say it is 102.7 under the arm and they will know what to make of it.) Unless there are other symptoms that have you worried, I wouldn't rush into Urgent care or call after hours. Look more at the child, not the thermometer. For example, I get far more concerned about a 100.6 temp with a very listless child and no response to meds than a 103+ that comes down with meds and they are playing fine. ETA: I would call your ped's afterhours number before going to the Urgent care.

kjreif
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Just FYI...I think minute clinics will not see kids under 2...don't know if that applies to you or not, but thought you should know.

Melaine
07-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone! She has had a cold over the last week, so I am wondering if it could be an ear infection. The actual cold hasn't been a very big deal and I really don't think she's had a fever until now. I do feel bad because they have been sitting on the couch watching a movie the last hour or two very quietly which should've clued me in. Then DH came home from work and made me feel horrible when he immediately noticed she was burning up. She is acting pretty mellow (for her) but she did just say she wanted some pizza. (Poor baby, she doesn't know it's GF!)
I didn't know the minute clinic was only 2 and up, but she is over 2, so thanks!!

o_mom
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Could be an EI if she's getting over the cold, but unless she is screaming in pain from it, I classify that as a 'call the ped first thing in the morning' kind of situation, personally. I guess if the minute clinic is a better option for you financially, it might be an option tonight. I've just never been thrilled with urgent care for kids so I avoid it when possible. :)

Hope she feels better soon!

Melaine
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Update:
We went to the Minute Clinic. I figured it would be less stressful for me to go tonight with DH then tomorrow alone, plus I am sort of in between Peds (ie I dislike my ped and am thinking about firing her!). She does have an ear infection, but she seems much better already once the motrin really kicked in. We did get an antibiotic. Thanks for everyone's advice!!! I guess it is a really good thing that that is the highest fever my two have had in 2 and a half years!

PS The Minute Clinic was great! The nurse practitioner was extremely nice and not at all rushed. It was cleaner in the exam room than in most offices I've been to. I feel she gave us just as much thought and attention as we'd get anywhere else. There was no wait and they immediately filled the prescription right there at CVS. It's nice to have another off-hours option than the dreaded Urgent Care!

o_mom
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Glad you had a good experience! Hope she feels better soon.