PDA

View Full Version : Need help: what is a "new" color for living room furniture?

Octobermommy
07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I have been looking for brown leather furniture so that we could just wipe down spills and what not. Unfortunately if I like the look of the couch they aren't comfortable and the comfortable ones I don't care for. So I need couches that I can get that are stain resistant and hide stains. Also, what about colors?

JTsMom
07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
We have a La Z Boy couch in tan microfiber. That thing is indestructible! It has been jumped on who knows how many times, the components have been used as forts and trampolines, it was an artist's canvas (markers and pen!), etc. etc. It looks brand new, and the strongest thing I've ever used on it is dishsoap.

SM23Mama21
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
We too have a microfiber couch (not a La Z Boy though) and LOVE it!! I use carpet cleaner to clean the tough spots and baby wipes for the little spots and it always cleans up nicely. I would like it to wear out so I can get a new design, but as much as I let the kids climb all over it, it doesn't look like it will ever wear out. haha

Oh and it is a sage green color. I choose it because I thought it would hide dirt better than the tan color option, but if I were to do it all over again, I would have chosen the tan. The green is just a hard color to decorate with, and now that I know how great the microfiber is, I'm sure the tan would have stayed just as clean.

Happy shopping!! :D

gatorsmom
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't suggest a material or color for a sofa, but I wanted to put a vote in for a fabric with a pattern on it. When we get spots on our sofa, they just blend in with the design. Our chair and a half is a solid tan color and the spots are much more noticeable.

neeleymartin
07-09-2009, 08:09 PM
any neutral color would be great. fwiw, we have a grainy chunky brown leather set. it was very stiff in the store. it has softened over time. leather will do that. ikwym about the look of the softer stuff. kinda reminds me of a marshmallow with a seat in it. hth.

Octobermommy
07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I just thought I was boring when I thought of getting another tan sofa. What about chocolate brown, too dark?

trales
07-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Chocolate brown is great, but get one with a slight pattern or texture, it really helps it look cleaner, disguises things and makes it last longer.

Octobermommy
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Chocolate brown is great, but get one with a slight pattern or texture, it really helps it look cleaner, disguises things and makes it last longer.

Definitely looking for one with a texture, I learned my lesson on that one already. : )

happymom
07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm sorta in the market for couches now, and also want brown leather. I was just at Costco tonight and they had a very nice brown leather couch by Berkline. It was a 3-seater and it was reclining. I think it was $640. I sat on it and thought it was quite comfortable. It had a slight "grain" in the color. Have you checked your local Costco?

Octobermommy
07-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm sorta in the market for couches now, and also want brown leather. I was just at Costco tonight and they had a very nice brown leather couch by Berkline. It was a 3-seater and it was reclining. I think it was $640. I sat on it and thought it was quite comfortable. It had a slight "grain" in the color. Have you checked your local Costco?

I wish we had a costco. The closest one is at least 3 hours away.

happymom
07-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I wish we had a costco. The closest one is at least 3 hours away.

Aww, sorry 'bout that!

kijip
07-10-2009, 12:08 AM
We have chocolate brown twill (chair and loveseat) and a sturdy plush velour tan (sleeper sofa). All are great, bought used from Craigslist.