PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance - worth it or not?

niccig
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
So we've had some LARGE vet bills in the last 18 months. I wonder if pet insurance is worth it, or are too many things excluded. Maggie Moo is about 9 years old. We have problems with her teeth - 2 have broken in 18 months, and she has one leg that was broken when she was on the streets. It healed without treatment, but the bones are misaligned. Vets are impressed that she can walk let alone run, but it is something that will give her more trouble as she gets older.

Thanks.

kdeunc
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I have heard that it is not very good as it would probably be more cost effective to set aside the monthly premium in your own savings account (from a consumer affairs person). That being said, I have often wondered about it as I have paid $2500 for dog surgery at the vet school and spend over $300 a month for dog prescriptions! My furry "children" cost me way more in medical bills than my kids! :)

Momof3Labs
07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
At 9yo, the premiums would be way too high, if she is even insurable. And you'd probably find a lot of exclusions, including for any pre-existing conditions. The time to get pet insurance is in puppyhood (or for, say, a 1yo dog).

niccig
07-10-2009, 01:21 AM
At 9yo, the premiums would be way too high, if she is even insurable. And you'd probably find a lot of exclusions, including for any pre-existing conditions. The time to get pet insurance is in puppyhood (or for, say, a 1yo dog).

I thought this would be the case. I like kdeunc's suggestion to save the monthly premium. I won't feel the $$ pain so much then when she breaks another tooth vertically all the way down the length of the tooth.

doberbrat
07-10-2009, 08:57 AM
good luck in getting ins for a 9yo dog.

plus most of them have serious exclusions they dont pay for anything that could be remotely genetic, anything the dog has had previously etc.

I'd just start sockign $$ away in a vet fund and keep a cc w/$0 balance for the rest.

and believe me, I feel your pain - 12 yrs ago, my cocker ruptured a disk in his back. cost for the surgery and immediate vet bills $5k. not including the pt and chiro visits that followed for the remainder of his life. my doberman gets pneumonia every Sept (go figure?) and has had some pretty expensive accidents.

good thing they're so darn cute!