PDA

View Full Version : Boon High Chair - Comfortable for Baby Boys?

minipermo
07-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi! Do you have a Boon high chair? http://www.booninc.com/products/Flair

We're thinking about getting this for our 8 month old son because of good reviews about it in baby product books/online - easy to clean, etc. 99% of the reviews are positive, including the one in the Baby Bargains book.

The one thing that concerns us is the following review from the Toys R Us website.

If your baby boy has been using this chair, have you noticed any discomfort or problems? Don't most high chairs have the same kind of restraining post for safety?

It would be great to hear your experience with the chair! We'll probably take the baby to a retailer and have him test out the chair before purchasing.

Thanks!

TOYS R US REVIEW---

Not a good chair for baby boys!!!
By Sara from St. Louis, MO on 1/12/2009
Cons:Uncomfortable, Unsafe for "boy parts"
Bottom Line:No, I would not recommend this to a friend
Comments about Boon Flair Pedestal High Chair with Pneumatic Lift:

I started using this chair recently with my 6-month-old son and we soon realized that the crotch post was severely digging into his genital area. The post actually curves inward toward the genitals making the problem even worse. My son is 17 lbs. which is the 45th percentile for his age so he is not a huge baby. I tried many different settings with the straps, trying to position him so it would not happen but he continued to slide into this position. It seems to be causing him pain because he doesn't like to sit in the chair and cries to get out. In addition, I contacted Boon about this problem and they were no help. They said the post was there to meet safety standards, but I doubt the post needs to be curved or so close to the back of the seat to meet standards. They suggested that other customers with this problem had taken the pad out to make more room. First of all, this tells me other people are experiencing the same problem. But second of all, I don't see this as a very satisfactory solution considering that would mean the baby would be sitting on hard plastic. I was trying to find a way to increase the comfort, not decrease it!! When I first got the chair was I very excited because it is so attractive and it wheels around very easily but I soon discovered this serious design flaw and I am very unhappy. I am especially unhappy with Boon's unsatisfactory response considering we paid more than double the price of other high chairs.