PDA

View Full Version : Getting Pregnant While Breastfeeding?

ebjw
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
We'd like to try to concieve #2 in August or September. Our daughter will be 8/9 months old then, and as of now I haven't gotten my period yet because I am still breastfeeding (and will continue to do so). Question is, am I even ovulating? How likely is it that this plan will work? What is the scientific explanation behind this? I'm thinking of taking my temp each morning starting now just to see if I am ovulating...
What kind of results have others who tried the sme thing had?

wellyes
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
You will get pregnant without AF if you've ovulated.... meaning, if you're about to get your first post-pregnancy AF.

In other words, unlikely, unless AF returns before then. For some women it does, for other no.

Mine came back at about 1 year and I was pregnant within 2 months.

lowrioh
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
If you don't have your period it is doubtful (although not impossible) that you are ovulating.
For the most part, as your child starts eating more solids (or if you start supplementing with formula) your body will produce less milk and you should start ovulating again. DD was EBF until 8.5 months then we started supplementing with formula. I got my period when DD was 9 months old and unexpectedly got pregnant when she was 10 months old.
It wouldn't hurt to start taking your temp in the morning if you want to.

Good Luck

soontobe
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
they also sell ovulation tests-just easier that taking your temp