PDA

View Full Version : Pack n Play for 1st 7 months?

boogiemomz
07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I currently live in the midwest and my first is due in November. :yay: I will be moving with my husband to North Carolina in June (infant will be 7 months) for his job. We live in a two bedroom apartment right now, so I am trying to minimize the "stuff," especially furniture, we acquire between now and then (we are only living here for 1 year) for space reasons and to make the move as easy as possible.

I am planning to get a PNP with a bassinet, and I have heard that many parents use the bassinet feature exclusively for sleeping for the first 3 months, which I am planning to do. I am considering allowing my baby to sleep in the pack n play (in the bottom after she outgrows the bassinet) up until we leave in June, and then buying a crib to put in our house in NC. Some have told me this should be fine, others say their kids don't like sleeping in the PNP and I will want to go ahead and get a crib. I am willing to get the crib now if it means my baby will sleep that much better and be more comfortable. I'd love to hear any thoughts on insight on this.

Thanks so much,
Katherine

lowrioh
07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
If I were you I'd just get the Pack n play and see how the baby does. If it doesn't work then you can go ahead and get a crib. DD slept in a PnP for a month when she was 5 months old and she did fine. If you search the threads you will see that there are several options about getting different pads for the PnP to make the mattress less hard. We had a really nice mattress pad and a jersey knit sheet that made the PnP more comfortable.
The only thing that might be a pain is having to bend down to put the baby down/pick up once they are in the bottom.

zag95
07-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree- I think I'd get the PNP and use the bassinet feature, and then get a crib once you move- baby might find it to be cozy.... since it isn't as big as the crib!

GL!

newg
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
There are some really nice quilted pnp sheets that add some extra padding to the mattress....I think BBB mentions them.....I would think if you did that, the pnp should be fine for the first few months....
DD sleeps in one when we visit grandparents and she's fine in it....even at 16 months....

MmeSunny
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
This may be an obvious thing but I would make sure to get the type of pnp that has the full length bassinette as well. Some have a half basinette, even among the same brand. That would last you longer. Just verify before purchase.

SM23Mama21
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
My DS is almost 7 months old and is still sleeping in his PNP in our room. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but he has only slept in his crib once (we just moved and are hoping to move him to his own room soon). We have a quilted sheet from Carters on our PNP, but at grandma's, there is just a regular thin sheet on his PNP and he doesn't seem to mind either one.

boogiemomz
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much for the advice! I have added some quilted PNP sheets to my registry and I think we will just try it out and see how she does, and hopefully we can postpone the crib purchase until after the move. Thanks again!

Katherine

AnnieW625
07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
We would've been lost for at least the first month without our Pack N Play because DD wouldn't sleep in the crib because it was probably just too big and she was used to be confined. Make sure that PNP is ready for baby when you get home from the hospital too.