PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for going away present for close friend

Meatball Mommie
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I have a close friend (well, we're close to the whole family) who is moving very soon from MA to Kodiak Island, Alaska (her DH is Coast Guard). The husband and wife both grew up in our town in MA and have lived here as adults since having kids (they were elsewhere before children, but were lucky enough to be stationed near family for the last 6 yrs).

I'd really like to do something special for them so they can remember our town/area. Any thoughts? It has to be something fairly simple - I work full time and don't have much time before they leave either. Also, our sons are close to their DS so I was thinking it would be nice for them to give a gift as well...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jen841
07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
My family moved around a lot, and we have a wall of pieces from where we lived. I personally like the ones that have a picture of a significant plan/site/etc. They can put it up in their house and always have it. If you know a special artist even better!

maylips
07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
:yeahthat:

Or a Christmas ornament(s) that feature things significant to your hometown. That way, if they don't have the same art taste as you, they only pull it out once per year and can think fondly of you guys. We started doing that when we moved a LOT and I love unwrapping the ornaments each year and remembering our time spent in that area.

I guess it depends on your budget b/c ornaments can be a cheaper version of a piece of art.

TonFirst
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I love both the art and the ornament ideas. You may want to consider mailing your gift to them so they can receive it once they're in their new home - it's one less thing for them to move and they - and especially their sons - would probably love to receive some fun, friendly mail from a familiar friend.

specialp
07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
You may want to consider mailing your gift to them so they can receive it once they're in their new home - it's one less thing for them to move and they - and especially their sons - would probably love to receive some fun, friendly mail from a familiar friend.

:yeahthat: I think they'd really like to recieve it in the mail after they're settled. If you do decide to do that (send later), you may want to send some foods/specialty goodies that are local to your area.

Jen841
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Not a sentimental one...

Last One/First Off Box
fill it with all the things you are trying to find when you first move in i.e.,
Toilet Paper
Paper Towels
Stamp
Envelopes
Clorox Wipes
Bottles of water
Snacks
Plastic Silverware
Deck of cards
'Female' supplies
Hammer
Screw driver
Post its
Nails
Masking Tape
Pen/Pencil

You get the drift

What my Mom and her friends do is 'trip bags' you could give for the family as they pull out of town will trip stuff in it....
Magazines
Post-its
Water
Snack
Various activities/car games
Music
If you area really creative and they are driving you could make them a trip scavenger hunt with a disposable camera, postcards, stamps,.. that they could report their findings back to you

Also, for the artwork, you could just take some good pictures yourself and put them in a frame for them. You could put a picture of their house in a frame and write their address under it. It does not need to be something expensive. My parents could tell you who gave them the 10+ pieces they have from our moves. All cherished.

For the kids you could make them a CD, we still play a CD we received when we moved 5 years ago of car/kid music

squimp
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
A shutterfly album of pictures from where you now live - pictures of places and friends.

Meatball Mommie
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I like the whole first box idea, but all their stuff has already left! It takes 45 days for all their belongings/furniture to be moved cross country and then up to AK (maybe it goes by boat the whole way, not sure). Anyway, they are actually living with her parents right now with a limited amt of stuff and renting their house out while they are in AK (3 yrs or so). The husband is driving out (leaving in a week) to Anchorage w/ a friend and the wife is flying with the 2 kids to Anchorage later in the month. They then have a drive to a ferry with their car and take a 5 hr ferry to Kodiak.

Maybe as a gift from the kids a backpack filled w/ activities or craft supplies? (and some tranquilizer?? joke...)

Maybe I'll do some sort of framed collage with pictures I take of the local area (their house, the town, etc.) and then send it to them once they've arrived. I'd still like to get them something small and nice for their going away party though...

Meatball Mommie
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh - another thought - anyone know a good seafood cookbook? Lots of salmon, crab, etc. in that area, so I thought that might be a nice idea too...

Snugglibumkins
07-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I've come out of lurking to respond to your thread. We did the move from the Cape to Kodiak and then lived there for 5 years. It's fantastic.

Some of our favorite going away presents were things that we didn't have to cram into our already packed car, because the drive across country was tight with luggage and carseats already.

One of our best friends got us a little basket with gift certificates to places to eat as we made our way across the country - because let's face it, there's a McDonalds and Subway on every corner of our nation. (And a McDonald's and Subway on Kodiak Island - they'll be impressed that you are in-the-know!).

We also got a beautiful 8x10 frame of one of our favorite sites on the Cape.

Another group of our friends got together and bought us a small fishing bouy, painted in some of our favorite colors and everyone signed it with well-wishes.

I think the idea mentioned of a sea-food cookbook is great! Something Cape Cod related would be fun. Or even putting together a scrapbook of some favorite sea-food, comfort food recipes mingled with some friendship pictures of your families and some favorie Cape Cod pictures would be great, too.

MamaMolly
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I've moved a lot and my suggestion isn't something for now but something for later. Stay in touch. Everybody moves on in life, we all change but the best friends we have are all over the world and are the ones who've made an effort time and again to stay in touch.

I can't tell you how many 'friends' have promised cross-their-hearts to stay in touch but haven't. What really gripes my hiney is that these would be the same people who pitch the biggest fit when we announce another move. I gotta tell you it is downright depressing to try to keep friendships going when only one party shows interest. Lots of friends want updates and cards and are happy to demand a visit when we are back in town visiting, but they are often the same people who don't even send Christmas cards. I kind of gave up on paddling a boat with one oar, you know?

So do something wonderful for your friends and stick your oar in, too. Stay in touch! :)

Meatball Mommie
07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

The nice thing about this friendship and move, is that they are planning on coming back to the area in about 5 yrs from now. This transfer is for 2-3 yrs, and when he makes the next rank, they will transfer again somewhere else. After that, he retires! They are even keeping their house here and just renting it out. And with both their families in this area (and the wife's parents literally our neighbors!) we are sure to keep in touch and see them whenever they come back. We'd even love to make a trip out there to see AK if at all possible (not sure - would cost a lot for us!).

Thanks again!