PDA

View Full Version : Which volunteer positions at DS's school?

niccig
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I have to fill out a form for the volunteer positions I would like to do in DS's pre-K class. There are several jobs listed and you get to indicate which ones you would like to do. I'm wanting some feedback as to how others felt about various jobs, I do know that the experience is different from school to school and class to class.

I plan to volunteer and be part of the school community -but I also don't want to take on more than I can handle. I used to be pretty organised, but lately I'm more disorganised than ever. As we're new to this school, I don't know what to expect. I do plan to volunteer in the library as I was a librarian pre-DS. I'm not working or studying, but I do plan to hopefuly get back into either work or study over the next year.

General Room Parent - main point of liaison between teachers and other parents.

Field Trips/driver coordination - the classes go on several field trips a year, and this person works with the teachers to organise the field trips, parent drivers etc.

Scholastic Book Orders - organise monthly book orders for the class - how much work is this?

Teachers' Gift - coordinate holiday and end of school gifts. Is it a pain to collect money?

Farm Liaison - the school has a small farm - really a couple of acres garden. Each class gets to visit and do projects - plant garden, science projects, build forts or just play. This person helps their child's class with their visits.

egoldber
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Scholastic Book Orders - organise monthly book orders for the class - how much work is this?

I've done this. It's so easy. Really.

I was also room parent. That can be a bit of a PITA. I don't think I will do it again.

The teacher gift has always been done by the room parent, so it's interesting they have that as a separate job. By itself, this isn't a big deal.

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
As a room parent last year, I had to do many of the jobs that you have broken out at your school. I loved it. :) I organized volunteers for the teacher if she needed something (chaperones, busy work, clerical work, help planning parties...) as well as organizing gifts. I ran the Scholastic book fair but we didn't do the monthly thing. I imagine that would be pretty easy.

I had a great teacher to work with. She clearly communicated needs to me and I relayed them out. I think if you are organized and willing to put some time into things (doesn't have to be a ton) then you would be a good room parent. I mostly did things like email, sending some notes home and planning events. I created a phone tree for the class. Some room parents did more than that and some did less. I personally felt a sense of duty to help my teacher so if a job didn't get claimed and I could reasonably do it then I did it. Being a room parent did not mean I had to be on hand during school hours volunteering. A lot of working moms did at at my school with success. I was in the classroom weekly but I didn't have to be, kwim?

This year I have agreed to take on the position that has me in charge of organizing all the room parents.

I'd personally do room parent and/ or Scholastic but if you are interested in the others more then go for it. You can experiment and each year widdle down where you would like to help most.

Beth

niccig
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Beth and Beth. There are some other positions I didn't list, like organising the class projects for the Silent Auction. I'm not crafty, so I definitely don't want to be in charge for that. I'll come in to help the class do the project if they need extra parental help, but I don't want to be the person in charge. There are also school-wide positions like being on the committee for the Silent Auction. I think I'm more of a worker bee rather than the person that heads the PTO.

They have broken up the jobs that a General Room Parent would normally do. Maybe, so that it is not too much work for any one person. The plan is for me to be very invovled in the school's community, so we can see if it's where we want to keep DS. DH will help too, but unless I'm working or studying, I do have more time. So, gulp, maybe I should jump in boots and all for General Room Parent...as well as Scholastic, Field Trips and the Farm - this form is just your preference, and I'll find out later on what if anything I get.

egoldber
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
like organising the class projects for the Silent Auction. I'm not crafty, so I definitely don't want to be in charge for that.

LOL! See I did that too as part of being a room parent. I liked that job too and it was easy. :) The teacher and I picked a theme and then I collected donations and bought items for the basket. It was easy.

In reflecting on my jobs, I can see that *I* prefer tasks where there is a concrete goal and a measurable outcome. ;) :ROTFLMAO: