PDA

View Full Version : Most horrible Dr. trip ever....

Melaine
07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
We were there for over 2 hours. DD had to have finger prick, blood drawn and then two shots of antibiotics, on top of the urine sample which was also tricky. The nurse seemed like this was her first day on the job. She let blood spurt out from the finger prick rather than putting it in the little tube. Then when she came back she definitely had no idea how to find the vein, she tied both arms then went back to the first arm. Then seemed to not be ready with the equipment to immediately draw the blood. After digging for awhile and my begging for someone else to do it, another (blessedly grey-headed) nurse got back from lunch and drew it from her hand instead. Then she had to have two shots of antibiotics because her white blood count is high. Then we had to wait for 20 minutes to see if there was a negative reaction to the antiobiotics. DD just kept crying and asking to go home. And tomorrow we get to go back for another finger prick, which I'm sure DD will freak out (I don't blame her).
I know that people have to learn how to draw blood on someone, but can't they learn on ADULTS? Seriously, you can do whatever you want to me, but give me an experienced nurse for my two and a half year old. OH and, yeah, it doesn't help that stupid "casual fridays" make you look like a high school junior on spring break. Seriously, spaghetti strap and capris?
Obviously, this should have been in the BP!

tnrnchick74
07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that! One of the 1st things you learn when working with peds as an RN is to get help! That way its less traumatic & you have a better chance at getting the sample the 1st time!!!

My DS had to have a finger prick today to, to recheck his low iron. We had an experience phlebotomist who had musical animated stuffed animals for "distraction"...

HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR LITTLE ONE!!!

MamaMolly
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Ooooh, BTDT. I'm so sorry for you and for DD. Are you comfortable asking for another nurse if *that* one is there again tomorrow? I totally would.

And ITA with you about the casual thing. There is casual and then there is day at the beach. I think I'd have asked her if she was cold running around an air conditioned office half nekkid. But then, as a rule I'm generally not nice to people who hurt my baby. :irked:

Your mama probably raised you better than that! ;)

Melaine
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
She did have a helper, and they switched off once, but honestly they both seemed unprepared. It wasn't until the third nurse came in that things seemed to go correctly. And DD really wasn't even moving, she was sitting very still. I think they were understaffed since it is Friday so maybe they normally have more help.
I'm just praying that the shots will help by tomorrow and her white blood count will be back down so we won't have anything else to worry about!

mytwosons
07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm so sorry!

DS1 had to have a lot of bloodwork when they were diagnosing his celiac. (BTW, one of the first red flags we had was an elevated white blood cell count and his sed rate was incredibly high.) Where we are, I found it's better to leave the dr's office and go to a university health system clinic that does a lot of peds. I will go in first and ask when the best person will be in and then we go get jabbed by him/her.

I hope your DD is ok!

Melaine
07-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Ooooh, BTDT. I'm so sorry for you and for DD. Are you comfortable asking for another nurse if *that* one is there again tomorrow? I totally would.

And ITA with you about the casual thing. There is casual and then there is day at the beach. I think I'd have asked her if she was cold running around an air conditioned office half nekkid. But then, as a rule I'm generally not nice to people who hurt my baby. :irked:

Your mama probably raised you better than that! ;)

:ROTFLMAO:Thanks for that!
But yes, we will be going to the downtown office so hopefully it will be different staff! Yes, I gotta say I have found a whole new courage now that I am a Mom to demand things for the sake of DC. You gotta do what you gotta do.

poppy
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry for your little girl. That sounded like a really traumatic experience.

Maybe you should request that you not get that nurse again, if at all possible.

I've switched peds based on bad nurses. It really makes a difference to get someone experienced and someone who cares and loves children. I've also had experienced but really hates their job, that is a bad combo too.

niccig
07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Can you ask for someone who has my experience with little ones? DS had to have a couple of blood tests for lead test. The finger price was much worse than a blood draw for a vein, so I never have them do a finger prick. My Dr. office sent us to a local lab and told me to ask for a certain person to do the blood draw. He has since left, but when I had to take DS again, I called and asked for who had the most experience with young kids. I held DS, one of the staff hold DS's arm, and someone then did the blood draw. It's been very quick to do, and then I take DS out for ice cream!

infomama
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
:hug: Blood draws with nurses/techs that don't know what they are doing are AWFUL. I have come close to physically pushing a lab tech away from my Dc because she kept sticking her and sticking her meanwhile saying (in a very strained voice), 'you're going to have to hold her tighter mom.' Any tighter lady and she will be bruised...just *do your job* and stop talking to me. Hey..BTW, now that you have the needle in the vein why don't you go ahead and release the band...ya....maybe that's why the blood isn't flowing...jerk. Perhaps the most stressful times (when it comes to medical care) are blood draws IMO. Hope tomorrow is better.

mamicka
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh, that sounds painful for both of you. I hope the next one goes better. :hug:

kijip
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
That sucks! I am sorry you had to go through that.

DietCokeLover
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh that just makes my heart hurt for your little sweetheart. Hope she feels better soon.

jgenie
07-10-2009, 09:32 PM
:hug: Sorry you had such a bad trip to the dr. Hope your DD feels better soon!!

Melaine
07-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys!
After I cried my eyes out to DH, I started thinking a little more about this. The two nurses who were originally working on DD (or should I say practicing) really seemed like total beginners. I mean, when searching for her veins (that alone took quite some time) the nurse actually marked DD's arm with a sharpie marker so she'd know where to prick. Is that a normal practice? Anyway, it didn't help because the other nurse still had to try again.
I'm asking because I don't want to over-react but because this is kind of making me want to switch pediatricians (which I'm not really otherwise opposed to anyway).

tnrnchick74
07-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys!
After I cried my eyes out to DH, I started thinking a little more about this. The two nurses who were originally working on DD (or should I say practicing) really seemed like total beginners. I mean, when searching for her veins (that alone took quite some time) the nurse actually marked DD's arm with a sharpie marker so she'd know where to prick. Is that a normal practice? Anyway, it didn't help because the other nurse still had to try again.
I'm asking because I don't want to over-react but because this is kind of making me want to switch pediatricians (which I'm not really otherwise opposed to anyway).

No, drawing on a child is not standard practice. The position of the vein depends on lots of things and my experience has been that putting a mark does nothing but make a mark on an arm!

I would definitely bring it up to the staff tomorrow - request an experienced nurse because you had a traumatic experience yesterday and also bring it up to the MD.

shawnandangel
07-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow that sounds awful! I'm so sorry your DD had to go through that. When I do finger pricks, I was trained that you should dot the first few drops of blood and then get the sample. (Not let it squirt everywhere :rolleyes:)

KrisM
07-11-2009, 12:35 AM
How awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

As for the marker, they do that on me when I donate blood. My veins are easily visible to anyone, too. But, by the time they put the orange mustard stuff on it, everything is harder to see. Maybe it's so it'll stand out against the stuff they clean your arm with?

mommy111
07-11-2009, 12:54 AM
:hug: Sorry you had such a horrible experience.

I know that people have to learn how to draw blood on someone, but can't they learn on ADULTS? Seriously, you can do whatever you want to me, but give me an experienced nurse for my two and a half year old. OH and, yeah, it doesn't help that stupid "casual fridays" make you look like a high school junior on spring break. Seriously, spaghetti strap and capris?
Obviously, this should have been in the BP!

:yeahthat: to both your points. Esp the unprofessionally dressed one.