PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded car seat discusssion with ped at 1 yr appointment

tnrnchick74
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
So my ped is pretty up to date on the latest stuff, but I was still expecting the "he can now go FF" spiel.

He brought up the topic and said "if he still rearfacing?". I said "of course & my carseat RF to 35 lbs, so he will remain RF until then". MD said "with the way he's growing you will be lucky to make it to 2 years!" And then he asked me if I had read the latest research...

OF COURSE! I asked him if he was educating his parents on extended rear facing - and he said they are putting together a fact sheet but they are saying something like "the law states at 20 lbs and 1 year he can turn forward in his carseat but for added safety we recommend staying Rf until the limits of your carseat"...then giving more info if requested.

I also mentioned that it would be great if they had a car seat tech on staff...he said that was a great idea!

codex57
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I would have him reword it to start off saying it's recommended to RF until limits of the carseat even though the legal minimum is 1 yr/20 lbs.

sgmango
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I would have him reword it to start off saying it's recommended to RF until limits of the carseat even though the legal minimum is 1 yr/20 lbs.

I second that!

I hope doctors start doing the same. Mine seem a little clueless about current research on several things...

newg
07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
That's so great your Ped. is on top of RF issues..........!!

BeccaB.
07-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that info is getting out there. Most of my friends turned their kids at one year. When I mentioned that the latest research said that it was 5 times safer to RF till age 4, they said there was no way they could have done that. They couldn't wait to get their kids turned around.