PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about C-section recovery?

Melarina
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
So, I'm trying to get my mind around the C-section possibility, as DS is still (I am pretty sure :) breech at almost 34 weeks. I know he could still turn, but...

if I have a C-section, what do I need to know about recovery? Anything I should purchase in advance that will make life easier?

TIA!

bubbaray
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I had 2 c/s. There are some really great past threads on c/s recovery.

I would say that not overdoing activity in the early PP weeks is key. I wasn't given anything other than regular strength Tylenol and Motrin (taken in combination) for pain relief and never needed anything more (that is the norm where I live, in part to assist in a long-term BFg relationship, according to the CNMs here).

I had no post-op driving restrictions, but was told not to vacuum or lift anything heavier than the baby for 6w. Um, yeah, not vacuuming -- can we make that a 12m restriction? LOL.

I couldn't use Boppy type nursing pillows, I found a regular bed pillow best over my incision while nursing.

happymom
07-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm...for some reason I can't really think of much even though I had one 7 months ago! Well, I guess big granny underwear is a good idea because they will give you gauze pads to put on the incision and you need undies that will go high enough to hold the gauze in place. If I think of something else I will come bakc and post, cuz for now I am drawing a blank.

Just by the way, have you talked with your doctor at all about doing exercises to help turn the baby? Or having the doctor turn it for you?

Snugglibumkins
07-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I found that having a small stool to rest my feet on when I was sitting up in a chair helped me post C-section. As well as comfy panties and pants that didn't go anywhere near my C-section incision. And yes, I loved the no lifting anything heavier than the baby for the first 6 weeks - it was difficult, but also a good reminder that housework and such could wait, I needed to work on healing myself and enjoying my new bundle of joy.

happymom
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I couldn't use Boppy type nursing pillows, I found a regular bed pillow best over my incision while nursing.

I actually nursed football style for the first week or so. It was more comfortable than laying the baby near my incision. Another thing to keep in mind, although I guess its obvious, is that you will be in the hospital for a lot longer. So keep that in mind when you pack your hospital bag. (I had an emergency c-section so I was not prepared. DH got my stuff for me though, so it wasnt such a big deal.)

wallawala
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm scheduled for C/S next week for a breech baby, so am reading this post with much interest!

According to my friend who had emergency C about 4 weeks ago.... Get up and walk as soon as they recommend it. The first time is the worst, but sooner you do the better you feel (in her opinion). She didn't like the way narcotics made her feel, so was on tylenol only by day 2 and very happy with her choice.

Anyone use a binder or Belly Bandit?? I'm considering buying one in advance, but really don't want to spend the $.

Melarina
07-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the advice! Good to know on the underwear, as I have been wearing bikini style during the pregnancy and I figure those would hit right around an incision.

In regards to turning the baby, the doctors don't want to try that because the placenta is anterior. Also we have a variety of high risk things going on too (previous severe postpartum hemorrhage, gestational diabetes this time around...)

Thanks again!

Melarina
07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I second the question about the binder or other type of belly contraption -- any experience with those or recommendations?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I've had 3 c/s and the last recovery was a little difficult.

1. get help around the house
2. DON'T push yourself
3. Go stock up on pre-made meals, make some if you're the type to do that or just stock up on takeout menus.
4. Listen to your doctor and don't be afraid to call with questions
5. Take your pain meds.

Seriously-you'll recover a lot faster if you just ease up on yourself. Don't think about the house or laundry for the first month. My family ate a LOT of general tso's chicken from sam's and a LOT of tortellini for suppers because it was fast and easy to prepare. And I had dh home for the first 5 weeks.

I pushed myself a little and ended up in the er due to sudden heavy bleeding with dd2. Other moms on this board have stories about rough recovery. IMO having a clean house just isn't worth the risk.

Just plan on spending your first month nursing the baby and recovering and let everything else go. You'll have to be a little zen about it but I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck.

ds says :loveeyes::grouphug:.:boogie:

citymama
07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Breech at 34 weeks does not nec. mean c-section! Mine was breech at 31, I managed to turn her using the "ironing board" method, then breech again at 35 weeks, turned again (through manual version). At 34 weeks, you can still try several ways to get the baby to turn.

I did end up with a c-section for many different reasons - not a planned section, but well into 15 hours of labor and 6 cm dilation. I found c/s recovery "easier" than I expected. Having 4 days in the hospital was (in hindsight) really great in terms of getting some extra help when you most need it. The harder parts were the ones that all new moms deal with, sleep deprivation, frayed nerves, finding the time to eat/shower! All the best to you with the breech, birth etc.

ohiomom1121
07-10-2009, 05:27 PM
After my 2nd c/s I bought some panties from Motherhood that were big and really stretchy. They felt so much better than the normal bikinis I wore. Seriously granny looking but great for the incision. My recoveries were totally different though. The first was much much more difficult after being in labor 17 hours and pumped full of fluids. The second was planned and so much easier recovery wise. I was up walking around by late that night.

gatorsmom
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
There are some other good past threads on this so definitely do a search. But off the top of my head:

especially if you are prone to constipation, bring some snacks to the hospital that will help you get regular. I loved dried fruits and brought those with me.

Don't drink cold drinks or from a straw for the first couple of days- supposedly do something to your intestines (make you gassy and pushes on the incision? can't remember). i just remember I was warned by a doc and a couple of nurses NOT to do that.

Definitely get some undies that go over your belly. They'll be great for holding those BIG pads you'll need for the first 3-4 weeks.

You'll need and want pain meds for at least the first 7 days OUT of the hospital. And so plan to have someone help you for those days because they are pretty strong and will make you loopy.

Bring a notebook and pen with you to the hospital so that you can keep track of your pain meds in case the nurses start to get mixed up. You definitely want your pain meds to be given to you on a regular schedule. Nurses get busy and change shifts and next thing you know you are in REAL pain. I found that with all the other things I was taking ( percodan, iron supplements, prenatal pills, stool softeners, motrin) I needed to write down when I took what. You could also start keeping track of nursing sessions and wet diapers. Good habit to get into before going home with baby. :love5:

hth.

hth.

kdeunc
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I have had 3 sections and three relatively easy recovery periods (less than 48 hour stays for all three). As far as the binder...For my last section they gave me a binder in the hospital which worked just fine. I have an adhesive reaction/allergy that did not allow me to use tape/tegaderm(?) over the incision. The binder held my dressing in place. I would think that the hospital one would be fine and you could purchase something after you left the hospital if needed. Good luck!!

mom2binsd
07-10-2009, 06:54 PM
After my first Csection I learned to snag a whole bunch of the gauze panties that the hospital had, use em and toss em, for the first week it was great!

Get some generic Colace (stool softener) for your homecoming.

If you end up with a planned csection try to empty your bowels as much as possible before...sorry if TMI but I literally jumped off the table before they put my spinal in as I was finally able to go and didn't want to wait until after the baby was born....they all laughed as I emerged from the bathroom with a big grin on my face and said "ok NOW I'm ready!".

Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds...

happymom
07-10-2009, 07:09 PM
So all these posts have refreshed my memory a bit.

1. Yup, the hospital gave me a binder too. I didnt really use it though.

2. Constipation: This is gonna be TMI, but I ended up soo constipated that by day 5, when I was home from the hospital, I ended up sending DH out to buy me an enema. Not fun, especially when its hard to manuever (sorry!) with an incision, and you have hemorroids from all the pushing that took place before the c-section. Sorry, that really was TMI and not likely to happen to you anyways! But take the colace or whatever laxative the hospital gives you, even if youre not normally prone to constipation (I am not). Also, you may want to buy some colace to have in the house for when you get home. As PP mentioned, watch what you eat too.

3. Notebook: Yes, yes, yes. Keep a notebook. There are so many things to keep track of! I was writing down every time I took the percosset and the colace, plus every time I nursed and changed a wet/dirty diaper.

4. Another TMI, in my hospital, they wouldnt take me off the IV until I peed twice (without the catheter). And they measure how much you pee. Lovely. Anyways, I was having a hard time with actually peeing, and one of the nurses taught me a trick- blow bubbles thru a straw in a cup of water while youre sitting on the toilet, and lo and behold it worked! (I think this was recently mentioned in a potty-traingin thread)

5. Also, one thing I was totally had no clue about, was that you are not allowed to eat after the c-section until you...pass gas! I had the c-section on Friday at 7:15 am and did not eat until Saturday at 4. No solid foods at all. Nothing you can do about this, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I'm assuming this is a general rule in every hospital, right?

6. Definitely rest as much as possible and do not try to lift things. I had a super super easy recovery and I'm sure it was because I moved into my mom's house for a month and did practically nothing except nurse, sleep, and eat. Obviously not everyone can do this, but just do as much resting as possible!

Good luck! And sorry for all the stuff mentioned above that was totally TMI but I know I wished someone had told me, so I'm telling you.

tiapam
07-10-2009, 07:26 PM
If you take the colace be sure to keep up with drinking water. I didn't realize that you should drink even more if you are taking it.

Also, use the controls on the hospital bed to help you get in and out. Seems obvious but I didn't catch on right away.

justlearning
07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
There have been many threads on this topic--here's one that I started listing my tips: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231903&highlight=c-section+stool

I hope that everything goes well for you and that your baby flips! :)

kijip
07-10-2009, 07:39 PM
5. Also, one thing I was totally had no clue about, was that you are not allowed to eat after the c-section until you...pass gas! I had the c-section on Friday at 7:15 am and did not eat until Saturday at 4. No solid foods at all. Nothing you can do about this, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I'm assuming this is a general rule in every hospital, right?

This is what I was told 6 years ago with T so 6 months ago with F I was surprised they were encouraging me to eat (different hospital). I asked about it as was told by my midwife, the ob and the nurses that the no eating policy is a hospital thing and not supported by research. The OB pointed out that it is hard to have bowel functions without food and the midwife said she felt eating (as I wanted, no forcing it) helped speed recovery and ease breastfeeding. Frankly, after 2 days of nothing to eat the last time, I suspect it made my recovery worse to not eat. I would eat!

LMPC
07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Get up and walk as soon as they recommend it. The first time is the worst, but sooner you do the better you feel

:yeahthat:

TMI, I know but....prune juice and prunes were a big part of my diet after the surgery, IYKWIM. Once I got home, I took it easy which helped...we have a 2 story house, so I would pick a floor to stay on most of the day. Ditto on saving the boppy for later...I used a regular pillow too. I opted to take percocet for a while and have been BFing without issue for 9 months. I took 1/2 the dose prescribed.

GL! And congrats!

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I've heard that chewing gum ASAP after can help speed up digestive recovery b/c it causes you to produce saliva, which helps get things going.

Beth

bubbaray
07-10-2009, 08:28 PM
On the advice of a nurse from New Zealand after the birth of DD#1, I ate a lot of kiwi fruit and drank kiwi juice to "get things moving". Really helped, better than colace.

zag95
07-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Take all the advice here and "get things moving". Seriously, I think my first BM after coming home from the hospital was more painful than the actual birth!

Also, you may ask your Dr. what type of closure they do- stitches or staples- there was a good thread on that earlier in the spring!

GL!

kmak
07-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't go through all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating too much.

Take is VERY easy the first 2 weeks and keep your legs up and much as you can. After my first C-section, I was feeling really good and over did it the first few days. My legs swelled up like the elephant man's. It was so bad it hurt.

Also SPANX makes plain panties that come up high for tummy control, but don't have the hose part. These are great for giving support after the surgery. You'll need these for a few weeks at least. Afterwords I read in a magazine that some starlet (named her child after fruit I think) would wear two pairs at once post-pardum.

cestkaren
07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Can your husband stay with you at the hospital? My husband stayed with me for four days at the hospital, he never left. He changed the diapers as I couldn't get up (I could, but it took a long time). Plus, have help for when you get home. Drink lots of water, and take it very easy for the first two weeks. If you are breastfeeding, I recommend a comfortable glider chair or some other very comfortable chair that is easy to get out of. We have an Ikea poang chair and while it works for us now, those first few weeks - ugh! I couldn't get myself out of it! Find a breastfeeding meeting or have a LCs phone number, the painkillers may make breastfeeding a bit more difficult (or maybe it's just that beginning BF is difficult). At the hospital, they'll encourage you to walk, keep it up when you get home and slowly build up to walking further. Take your pain pills when you need it, don't be a hero. I was able to use a boppy with other pillows for add'l support. Get a lot of prepared meals. After two weeks, you'll likely feel much better and at six weeks even better. Good luck!

Toba
07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I read all the replies, but want to reiterate a few things ....

1-) Don't be afraid of the pain meds. I was on morphine for 24 hours and then Percocet *as prescribed* for a good week after that. After that first week, I only had to take it a few times (I had a problem with my stitches). My OB told me several times to make sure I took the Percocet as prescribed for at least a few days because it was just much easier to manage if you're continuing the dosage, instead of just starting from nothing if the pain gets too bad (if that makes sense). It really did help.

2-) Don't freak out about the spinal. I didn't have a good experience during the spinal (took three tries and the anesthesiologist only brought numbing meds for the first ... so I think I actually got quite a bit more spinal stuff than I was supposed to) and it is a very weird experience to not being able to move your legs. It doesn't hurt, it just is ... bizarre. Like I said, I think I got more spinal meds than I was supposed to, so my "paralysis" lasted longer than it should have ... and I was tweaking. But it totally goes away (my husband had to keep reminding me LOL). :)

3-) One of the side effects of narcotics is constipation. I had a open gallbladder removal with severe complications when I was 27 and had a very lengthy hospital stay and recovery period (straight up and down incision from right beneath my breast bone to right above my belly button). The nurses were CHANTING to go poop, poop, poop and OMG after all that pain medication and that huge incision, it was just an awful experience. Then these sweet little old ladies came visiting (I still don't know who they were, probably a church group ... I was out of it) and left me a small handmade kitty pillow. When I pushed to poop, I was told to put pressure against the incision with the pillow. IT HELPED!! I used it for like two months while I was recovering on pain meds after that surgery. I used it again during my c-section recovery and it helped as well. Any small pillow will do.

4-) Get up as soon as you can (again, make use of the pain meds!!), but don't push yourself too hard.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 11:25 PM
So all these posts have refreshed my memory a bit.

1. Yup, the hospital gave me a binder too. I didnt really use it though.

2. Constipation: This is gonna be TMI, but I ended up soo constipated that by day 5, when I was home from the hospital, I ended up sending DH out to buy me an enema. Not fun, especially when its hard to manuever (sorry!) with an incision, and you have hemorroids from all the pushing that took place before the c-section. Sorry, that really was TMI and not likely to happen to you anyways! But take the colace or whatever laxative the hospital gives you, even if youre not normally prone to constipation (I am not). Also, you may want to buy some colace to have in the house for when you get home. As PP mentioned, watch what you eat too.

3. Notebook: Yes, yes, yes. Keep a notebook. There are so many things to keep track of! I was writing down every time I took the percosset and the colace, plus every time I nursed and changed a wet/dirty diaper.

4. Another TMI, in my hospital, they wouldnt take me off the IV until I peed twice (without the catheter). And they measure how much you pee. Lovely. Anyways, I was having a hard time with actually peeing, and one of the nurses taught me a trick- blow bubbles thru a straw in a cup of water while youre sitting on the toilet, and lo and behold it worked! (I think this was recently mentioned in a potty-traingin thread)

6. Definitely rest as much as possible and do not try to lift things. I had a super super easy recovery and I'm sure it was because I moved into my mom's house for a month and did practically nothing except nurse, sleep, and eat. Obviously not everyone can do this, but just do as much resting as possible!

Good luck! And sorry for all the stuff mentioned above that was totally TMI but I know I wished someone had told me, so I'm telling you.

:yeahthat:

The two things that stick out in my mind that I was really unprepared for were
1) the gas. You will have gas that will frighten yourself. They basically take your kid out and replace him with tons of air. That's why you still look fat after the surgery.

2) the constipation. Even though I did *go* at the hospital I still had to do TWO enemas, after taking stool softeners and drinking a bunch of prune juice. I really thought I was going to have to go into the emergency room and no one had told me I should've been taking a stool softener ahead of time. So get them to give you one.

Also, my Dr. wouldn't let me drive for 2 weeks. Not sure if others mentioned that, or if it is common practice.

kijip
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
One thing I will say is that while pain medications should not be skimped on, the constipation is largely a result of the pain medications and that is why you want to wean off of them as you can, rather than taking the max amt you can for as long as you can. But balance this against staying comfortable and if you need the narcs, take the narcs!

Melaine
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh yes, I would look into the amount of time your insurance will allow you to stay at the hospital. I say that because I learned here (since then) that most everyone got to stay 3-5 days and my doctor kicked me out after 48 hours. I would've really rather stayed longer and if I had had some ammo I would've pushed it.

kijip
07-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh yes, I would look into the amount of time your insurance will allow you to stay at the hospital. I say that because I learned here (since then) that most everyone got to stay 3-5 days and my doctor kicked me out after 48 hours. I would've really rather stayed longer and if I had had some ammo I would've pushed it.

Conversely, if you are more comfortable at home and have help at home, there is no need to stay 3-5 days if you don't want to. I was SO glad to get home, even though the hospital was great. I was happy to only stay 48 hours post birth, I pushed to be released that morning rather than staying longer.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Conversely, if you are more comfortable at home and have help at home, there is no need to stay 3-5 days if you don't want to. I was SO glad to get home, even though the hospital was great. I was happy to only stay 48 hours post birth, I pushed to be released that morning rather than staying longer.

Yes, the only reason I guess I really wanted to stay is my kids were still there for another 2 weeks. Traveling to and from the hospital to visit and attempt to nurse them was much harder than just staying there would've been. But, they kicked me out and I wish I had known to challenge it.

kijip
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, the only reason I guess I really wanted to stay is my kids were still there for another 2 weeks. Traveling to and from the hospital to visit and attempt to nurse them was much harder than just staying there would've been. But, they kicked me out and I wish I had known to challenge it.

It is really too bad they did not offer you a bunk near the NICU. I would have advocated for a longer stay under those circumstances too. My older son was in the NICU for a week and we turned down room and board (free or very low cost, I don't remember) because we lived right nearby the hospital and could stay at the hospital most of the day and then go home to sleep for a bit and come back pretty easily.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 11:44 PM
It is really too bad they did not offer you a bunk near the NICU. I would have advocated for a longer stay under those circumstances too. My older son was in the NICU for a week and we turned down room and board (free or very low cost, I don't remember) because we lived right nearby the hospital and could stay at the hospital most of the day and then go home to sleep for a bit and come back pretty easily.

Yeah, my mom ended up coming to stay with me because I couldn't drive myself to and from the hospital and DH couldn't get off work. Which was great and very helpful but then she couldn't very well stay for when we brought the girls home two weeks later. And DH only took off I think 3 days while I was in the hospital in labor. So we brought home the girls and it was just me with them at home by myself after that. I didn't know they had an option of staying at the NICU...(maybe our hospital didn't)

graciebellesmomma
07-11-2009, 01:48 AM
I have no help for the c-section, but can give advice for the breech baby.
My girl was breech at 32 weeks, got her to turn with the ironing board trick, we think.
Then at 35 weeks she was transverse at my appt. and felt like she went feet down that night. I was scared of a c-section and wanted to avoid if all possible, but knew that I would do whatever needed to have a healthy baby with as few risks as possible.

That being said, I started swimming and while swimming I would dive down to the deep end a few times. It seems to help the baby move around more. So you really don't want to do this if baby is in the right position, but it helped me and a couple of friends. My girl turned and I had a natural child birth.

Elilly
07-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know of any thing "extra" that I used. For me, the C/S recovery was pretty easy, just no heavy lifting. Just take your pain meds and keep moving, you'll be fine!

Melarina
07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone, wow! These insights are so helpful.

Babymakes3
07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
This was my first c and first birth and i'm sure i'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been mentioned!
1-the gas you have after with all that air trapped inside is awful...seriously run from the room when you pass it! That doesn't help in the bathroom obviously but keep it in mind! LOL
2-the constipation sucks, the nurse rec'd Colace to me and hubby went and got it which i promptly took. I remember after i stopped it like 2 weeks later trying to go and i was sitting there crying then doing jumping jacks and bouncing around bc i really needed to go and it hurt so bad! I didn't know what to do...you dont want to go thru that. The small pillow or rolled up towel pressed against your incision helps too.
3-they kept me on an iv until the day before i left for some reason and i had a button to push to give me more pain meds but I rarely used it. They also gave me an Rx for pain meds but i never filled it. I just took 3 motrin occasionally. After about a week i wasn't taking them often enough and was getting sharp pains....i thought they might have left a surgical tool inside me or something. Turns out i just needed more drugs. I have stairs and was going to be home by myself with Ds and didn't want to be looped on pain killers.
4-Take as many pairs of their awful underwear as you can bc as terrible as they look they are comfortable! I was under 2 week driving restrictions so i had my mom take me to Target and i bought...i think Hanes like 2 sizes larger and this is the important part, make sure they have no hard elastic band at the top. You want them as absolutely soft as you can get them. It took me a while before I could wear my underwear again bc anything near my incision drove me nuts.
5-make sure you have a comfortable chair that you will be able to get out of. My glider was comfy but i couldn't get out of it for the first few days as i was holding a newborn and had nothing to pull myself up with. I also slept sitting up in bed, my bed is high and it was too difficult to get upright and out of so i slept with like 4 pillows around me instead.

BeccaB.
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree with the clothes recommendations that the other posts have mentioned. If you can find loose fitting pants that can sit on your belly above the incision line, that will really help. The hospital that I was in provided some really weird gauzy type of undergarments to wear in the hospital. I took all the extra ones they left in the room and had enough to wear for a couple of weeks until the pain died down a little.

Also at my hospital the doctor did prescribe pain meds to take home. If they offer, absolutely take them. If they do make sure you write down when you took what. I got so tired I completely forgot when I had taken which med. I only realized I had taken too much of one pill because I had written down when I'd taken them. Turned out fine but I was terrified that I might have made myself or DS (nursing) very sick. Writing things down was the only way I coped.

mom2binsd
07-12-2009, 01:32 AM
If you get Colace, get the generic, it's about 70% of the price of name brand Colace, and get the big bottle.

Take the peri bottle home, I found it very useful for rinsing (I'm sure it would be just as helpful with a vaginal birth).

Take anything home that the nurses offer...I stilll use the little pink basin to soak clothes in that need hand washing.

zephyr
07-12-2009, 01:41 AM
When my ds was born, he was in the special care nursery, (a little less intense than NICU) I was told I could go, but I was given the option to stay in a room for free next to the nursery, for as long as ds was at the hospital. I definitely stayed there, as I was trying to get breastfeeding established and am really glad I did, and really grateful I had that option available to me.