PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Should I be worried about high white blood count?

Melaine
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I mean, more worried than I already am which is pretty stressed because of blood drawing long dr. trip fiasco. The Dr. didn't seem super concerned and we got the antibiotic shots. My anxiety disorder jumps right back to the forefront when any kind of medical issue comes up.
She has had a fever and cold symptoms, but the Dr. didn't see any other signs of infection. Tomorrow we get follow-up white blood count. What if it isn't back down? Can anyone offer calming words?:love-retry:

UPDATE: Well, I didn't come back to this thread because I was honestly just still stewing about my experience with the pediatrician. But I did want to come back and thank everyone again for the support. DD2 seems much better, although still having cold symptoms. We went into the Dr. the next day and had another finger stick. Unfortunately, the doctors/nurses at the weekday office had failed to input DD's test results into the computer. So at the weekend office, they didn't have any info to compare it (her new level was 17000). I wasn't 100% sure about her numbers (HELLO, am I supposed to memorize my DCs' medical histories??) so the doctor prescribed an antibiotic. On Monday we heard back about all the other blood work and everything was normal. So, I felt very frustrated for all that to have no real answers.
Yesterday DD1 had a fever, so I guess we are not really done yet. Still, I think the worst is over for both of them, and now I know that we are definitely switching pediatricians.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Come on ya'll. The first thing that came up when I googled had "cancer" right in the title. I'd really rather here from you guys than to continue down that internet path...

Elilly
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Ummmm... high like 17.0 or high like 94.0?

Melaine
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
What is normal? I *think* the Doctor said 15 (it's hundred, right?)

Melaine
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Wait maybe it was 20? Is under 15 normal?

egoldber
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Well, it just means she has an infection, but you knew that right. :)

Try not to worry yet.

And don't consult Dr. Google yet. Especially not on a Friday afternoon.

Elilly
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
4,000-11,000/ul is the standard "normal". 15,000 is not something that I would worry about at all. Anything over 25,000 would make me have cause for concern of serious infection. I don't hink "cancer" when I see that number at all.

bubbaray
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
A general white blood count d/n really tell you anything except that the body is fighting something.

The specifics of particular types of white blood cells is more helpful. For example, one particular kind of WBC is high with leukemia.

Honestly, try not to worry until the dr's tell you to.

HUGS!

mom2224
07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
normal WBC is 4.5-11 (4,500-11,000)

Try not to worry until you have the follow up. Hugs.

Ceepa
07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Melaine, step away from Google!

An elevated white count can be indicative of a bacterial infection. I'd try to wait until tomorrow so you have more information and can talk to the doctor from that point.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys. I did close the google window (something was telling me I should but I ignored it:nono:) I guess I am just lucky that the girls have been so healthy that I don't have much knowledge about these kinds of infections! I will refrain from googling until further info from Doctor!

happymom
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Nothing to add, just :hug:. Hope you hear good news soon!

hollybloom24
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
My kids were both very sick last winter and had very high WBC - 40,000. They cultured their blood and both had strep pneumonae and were both hospitalized for three days of IV antibiotics.

A high WBC could be a ton of different things. I think you need more data.

spanannie
07-10-2009, 06:15 PM
We're going through this with my 12 mo old DD and her urine. They did a standard urine check on her at the hospital, when she broke her arm (a whole other story). Of course, the arm is fine now, but we're still dealing with the high WBC (and red too) in her urine. Their first thought was UTI, but, after antibiotics, we're having the same results. They've repeated the test several times and same thing. So, we're right there with you . . .

Good luck!

ETA: DD feels great, no fever, crankiness, anything.

TonFirst
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Even when my son had a 107-degree fever a few weeks ago, his WBC was never higher than about 17000-18000. Did they do any tests for their sedimentation number? I think that can indicate a bacterial infection with more specificity. Good luck and take care - these things are never fun over a weekend.

mamicka
07-10-2009, 08:07 PM
:hug: Hang in there, Melaine. It's hard to be in your position but it's probably nothing. Keep us posted!

Melaine
07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks everybody. DD seems to be feeling better and is sleeping now. I just hate to take her back for another finger prick but I guess *I* will just have to be brave (she will probably be fine). We're going at 9 in the morning for the follow up, so I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all responses!

mytwosons
07-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I posted in another thread but thought it might be worth posting here too.

DS1 has celiac. Our first clue was elevated white blood cell count, a high K-reactive (???) protein (???) and an incredibly high sed rate. I freaked when the dr. mentioned the white blood cell count and asked her if that meant cancer. (It didn't.) I mention our situation because I know you are doing a trial elimination of gluten.

In my son's case, his gut was torn up. If we didn't have a family history, I never would have suspected because he didn't really have any of the symptoms.

We also removed milk/dairy/casein with the gluten because we were told it was hard on the gut, and it would heal faster if we removed it for at least six months.

We retested after being gluten-free and casein-free (I can't remember how long....3-6 months?) and all the numbers were normal.

spanannie
07-10-2009, 10:43 PM

DS1 has celiac. Our first clue was elevated white blood cell count, a high K-reactive (???) protein (???) and an incredibly high sed rate. I freaked when the dr. mentioned the white blood cell count and asked her if that meant cancer. (It didn't.) I mention our situation because I know you are doing a trial elimination of gluten.

In my son's case, his gut was torn up. If we didn't have a family history, I never would have suspected because he didn't really have any of the symptoms.

We also removed milk/dairy/casein with the gluten because we were told it was hard on the gut, and it would heal faster if we removed it for at least six months.

We retested after being gluten-free and casein-free (I can't remember how long....3-6 months?) and all the numbers were normal.

This is interesting . . . I'm gluten intolerant (non celiac, as far as gene testing goes) and DS recently test + for celiac gene (so DH must have that gene). DD is the one with the high WBC count in the urine.

Melaine
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Thanks, yes I forgot about this on the other thread. Thanks for mentioning it, I will keep it in mind when we talk to the Doctor again. I guess that means I should keep at the GF diet which I have to admit....today my resolve was wavering. It seems even harder to follow the diet when your LO is sick and you just want them to eat, ykwim? I was just really wanting to pull out a pack of Mac 'n Cheese or make grilled cheese sandwiches or something. But I didn't so we are still good on the diet.
So after the High WBC, what did you guys do next to find out it was celiac?

spanannie
07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
So after the High WBC, what did you guys do next to find out it was celiac?

I don't have a child with confirmed celiac, but my DS was tested, as was I, by http://www.enterolab.com (as recommended by my MD). I had been to a lot of MD's before, who just tested blood, or recommended a biopsy or other invasive tests. I think this is the most reliable test, next to a biopsy (which is the gold standard for diagnosing celiac). A biopsy tests for celiac, though, not gluten intolerance. Enterolab tests stool and genetic material from your mouth; they can determine gluten intolerance, celiac, and intolerance to many other things. Furthermore, your DD(s) can have gluten intolerance and not celiac, and be having just as many problems. I'm gluten intolerant w/o being celiac and I've had lots of related problems for my lifetime. I just didn't realize it, until I started having stomach problems 7 years ago, after DS's birth.

Elilly
07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Not to hijack... but we need to get a gluten free recipe swap going on here. Where's Liza?

spanannie
07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Not to hijack... but we need to get a gluten free recipe swap going on here. Where's Liza?

It's really easy to turn just about any recipe into a GF recipe . . . that's what I do.

Melaine
07-16-2009, 08:20 AM
BUMP....added an update to the OP.