PDA

View Full Version : How to politely eat Cherries?

alien_host
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
So the fruit thread has me thinking. I just bought a huge bag of cherries and I'm wondering what is the most polite way to deal with the pit? Take it out of your mouth with your fingers? Spit into a bowl? Descretely put in your hand (then you have cherry juice on your hand) and put on a plate?

This must be why I only eat them in the privacy of my own home and don't put out a big ole bowl with company over!

Seriously though what's the nicest way to dispose of the pit?

And another question: how do you give cherries to your DC? I've been cutting it in half, twisting it and then either cutting the pit out the other half or eating that half and giving DD the non-pitted half. I have to admit it's a little time consuming! Do people use those cherry pitter gadgets? Do they work?

Who knew there could be so many questions about cherries!

Fairy
07-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Hahahaha! What a great question! I always wonder this about pomegranate, seriously. For cherries, I use a cherry pitter. You can get one at William Sonoma, whcih is where I got mine, but I am quite sure you can get one at, like Bed & Bath, too. Works really really well, then I cut them in half for my DS (used to give them to him whole, but not since the grape-choking incident). I jsut did this last night, as a matter of fact! For the really wee ones, you can even cut them in quarters. Now, this is the very unfun way. More fun to just stick it in your mouth, pull out the stem, and spit out the pit. But ... I've let that go and now do the pitting thing.

MartiesMom2B
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Well I don't eat cherries in public. But I just pull them out and put them in a napkin. I took an etiquette class and she said to spit something out back on the fork and put it on the plate discreetly. For the kids I cut the cherries in half and then bite the pit out. I guess it would be easier with a cherry pitter.

elliput
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
OXO Olive and Cherry Pitter. Best.gadget.ever. I picked mine up at Williams Sonoma.

Cherry pit spitting contests- better than watermelon seeds by far. :wink2:

Seriously, now, I just use my fingers to take the pit from my mouth and have a "pit" bowl available, same as I do for unpitted olives. Some foods are just meant to be consumed using the hands.

kijip
07-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Cherries are a JOYFUL food. There is no rude way to eat them, short of spitting pits on the floor or at someone.

kayte
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM
OXO Olive and Cherry Pitter. Best.gadget.ever. I picked mine up at Williams Sonoma.

i served them at our 4th of july bbq. I had a bowl for the cherries, a bowl for the pits and a small bowl to hold the pitter when not in use. They went fast!

MMMommy
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I try to just discreetly spit the pit onto my place. There's no avoiding it, and I'm too lazy to use a pitter.

wellyes
07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
In pie form. Or on a toothpick in a sugary alcohol drink.

But neither of the above is as good as getting a big bag of ripe cherries and gobbling it up all by yourself, spitting the pits into a bowl or napkin or pop can.

MontrealMum
07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Cherry pit spitting contests- better than watermelon seeds by far. :wink2:

You just spit them off the deck ;)

justlearning
07-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I spit my pits into a napkin when around others.

For the kids, I use a cherry/olive pitter from Pampered Chef that works really well but I don't know if they still sell it.

mommyp
You just spit them off the deck ;)

:yeahthat: I'll be at the cottage doing that this weekend! For DD I cut them in quarters. Mmmmm....

stefani
I have been rude all these time then... in public or in private what I do is pop the cherry in my mouth, pull out the stem, spit out the seed into a pit bowl. I share a pit bowl with my family.

SM23Mama21
I once read that you are to take whatever food you want out of your mouth the same way you put it in. So if you put the cherries in with your fingers, then you should take them out with your fingers... if you use a fork, then you should use a fork to take them out. I personally like a spitting cup. ;)

MamaMolly
07-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I make a little fist and spit the pit into my hand, but I've also read that the 'proper' way is to take it out the way it went in like the PP said, so fingers would be fine.

lizajane
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Well I don't eat cherries in public. But I just pull them out and put them in a napkin. I took an etiquette class and she said to spit something out back on the fork and put it on the plate discreetly. For the kids I cut the cherries in half and then bite the pit out. I guess it would be easier with a cherry pitter.

oh, sonia. i don't know why this made me laugh. but it did. i can just see you and me sittin' on your back deck, with all the kids in the swingset, sitting on your awesome anti-gravity thingy chairs, eatin' cherries and seein' who could spit the pit farther out into the yard.

jent
07-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Just do what I do, and no one will be paying attention to the pit... tie the stem into a knot with your tongue.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Hahahaha! What a great question! I always wonder this about pomegranate, seriously.

what is the question about pomegranate? you just chew those up and swallow them, right?

Corie
07-11-2009, 11:38 AM
For the kids I cut the cherries in half and then bite the pit out.

My friend had a big bowl of cherries on their kitchen
counter and I grabbed a few and popped them in my mouth. She started laughing
and told me how she had de-pitted them. :) See above!
I just laughed. I really could have cared less.

hellokitty
07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Cherries are a JOYFUL food. There is no rude way to eat them, short of spitting pits on the floor or at someone.
:yeahthat:

ThreeofUs
07-11-2009, 12:10 PM
My grandmother could spit the seeds the farthest I've ever seen, lol!

But when in excruciatingly correct company, she ate cherries with a fruit spoon. I seem to remember her pitting the cherry with the spoon, with the pit going to a bowl by her plate, and then eating the cherry with the spoon. I remember being in awe of her doing this over a white lace tablecloth, and sitting on my hands lest she ask me if I wanted a cherry, too! (I knew the cherry juice would have ended up everywhere for me....)

alien_host
07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
So I guess it's kind of yucky that while at home (no company), I pop it in my mouth, toss the stem and spit the pit directly into the trash?

I might have to look for a pitter just for fun. I sort of forgot they are like olives, I don't like olives and buy pitted ones for DH.