PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Itouch..

JustMe
07-11-2009, 01:23 AM
So, can you download music directly to the Itouch? I ask b/c I have a dial-internet connection at home and am never able to do things like download music. For this reason, I have not considered an Ipod before.

How is the viewing of movies...can they be downloaded directly? I just bought a portable dvd player for dd to use on an upcoming trip, but if we can just watch movies on these that would be great and I could return the dvd player..I realize the screen would be a lot smaller...thanks,

Oh, and a stupid question...does it run on batteries...or what...I am clueless..

pastrygirl
07-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Yes, you can download music from iTunes directly to your iPod Touch. BUT, you need to have a wireless internet connection. It wouldn't work at home with your dial-up setup, but it would work at a place like Starbucks or something that offers free wi-fi.

Not sure about the DVD part, I never watch movies or videos on my iPod.

The iPod Touch has its own battery and you charge it via USB on your computer. It doesn't plug into the wall unless you buy something to allow it to do so.

JElaineB
07-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I have a regular iPOD not an iPOD Touch, but you can load your own music CD's into iTunes software and transfer them to the iPOD that way. However with a dial-up connection you really won't be able to download music or videos from the iTunes store because of the slow connection.

I am not as familiar with video, but I believe DVDs are generally "locked" and you will not be able to transfer those to iTunes to load on the iPOD without certain (illegal) software. There are some DVDs that you can buy that supply a "digital copy" format that can be loaded on iTunes. You would be able to put those onto the iPOD by loading them into iTunes from your computer.

Jacksmommy2b
07-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Ditto what the PP said about wi-fi, but when you download via wi-fi all your music goes into a 'purchased' folder. You then need to connect to your computer and 'download' from your ipod into itunes to transfer things into seperate playlists. (the internet is not required for those 'downloads')

We bought episodes of word world for J via itunes, and although we have a superfast internet connection, and WW is only a half hour long, the darn things took HOURS to download.

Not sure how old your LO is, but the ipod touch is like the best car/waiting room/quiet activity for J - ever!!!

You can download all sorts of applications (many of them free) quickly even through wi-fi and J looooooves them. They are all pre-school age games like shapes, build an animal, dizzy bee etc. and they keep him endlessly amused.

Knowing what I know now, I have to say the cost of the ipod is worth it a hundred times over if only for the amusement value to Jack.

All the music is just a bonus.

JustMe
07-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Ditto what the PP said about wi-fi, but when you download via wi-fi all your music goes into a 'purchased' folder. You then need to connect to your computer and 'download' from your ipod into itunes to transfer things into seperate playlists. (the internet is not required for those 'downloads')

We bought episodes of word world for J via itunes, and although we have a superfast internet connection, and WW is only a half hour long, the darn things took HOURS to download.

Okay, I am confused. So, if I downlod via wi-fi, I then need to download it into my computer, but the internet is not required...but then why it it mentioned that it took a long time to downlod ww via internet connection? Help!