PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about the Outer Banks?

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
We are considering a spur of the moment vacation to the Outer Banks. We know a lot of people who vacation there and there are some who have more opinions about the best place to stay. I am curious to hear from even more people. Where do you like to stay? Where wouldn't you stay? Why?

I wouldn't mind being close enough to grocery stores, restaurants or some other activities but I'm not that concerned about that. I would prefer to be walking distance to the ocean.

I have a good start on rental properties so I am set there. I just need help narrowing it down because the rentals are all over the place and I just don't know why I should chose Avon over Hatteras, for example.

If there is a property you have rented and loved, please tell me about it though. Always nice to hear 1st hand reviews vs just reading online descriptions.

Beth

lizajane
07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
i am an expert! hee hee!!

i would stay in duck or corolla because those are my favorites!

my family's rental property is in corolla, in corolla light. the rentals in corolla light offer indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, lifeguards on the beach, chair and umbrella rentals on the beach, walking trails, ocean and sound access, close proximity to a food lion and harris teeter (3miles and maybe 5 miles from our house), shopping, but not too much so that it is junky, and a shuttle service from the houses to the various amenities/beach.

you do not need ocean front to be a short walk. we are ocean side and the walk is very short, even with little kids.

nags head is pretty crowded with "stuff" everywhere- stores, cheesy beach shops, gas stations... so it isn't my first choice. but if you plan to eat out a lot or want mini-golf like activities, that would be the place to be.

last time i went to Avon, i was in high school! but it was really nice then! ha ha!

FYI: the air will be very hot and humid, but the water won't necessarily be warm.

oh yeah- hatteras is the best surfing, if i remember correctly, and also where most fishing goes on.

and twiddy is a really good rental company. resort quest is a BAD BAD BAD rental company. do NOT rent with resort quest. our house is rented by twiddy, we have our own pool at the house, toys and movies for kids, sleeps 12+ but we are rented through august. but you can look it up on the twiddy website, tretower- number 212.

MZS V
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
We've been twice, and just returned from a house (called Dolphin View, if you want to look it up) in the Ocean Lakes neighborhood in Corolla (also a Twiddy property). It was oceanside, which was easily close enough to walk out to the ocean, and just a few minutes from groceries/shopping. Complete with tvs in master suites, pool, hot tub, and games. We were very comfortable.

Duck is a nice area for shoppping, etc., but I don't think I'd want to stay there. I've also stayed out on the 4x4 beaches, but I don't think you'd want to do that with little kids. We had to 4 wheel drive on the sand for 30 minutes to get to our house!

I agree with the pp; the water was pretty cold when we were there, but that's been a few weeks ago. Hopefully it has warmed up some by now. The Currituck Lighthouse is a fun little activity for kids/family, and it's right there in Corolla. Beware the traffic going in on Rt. 12; it's worse between 2 and 7 on check-in days. Also, we actually left the night before check-out and drove through the night to avoid the line of traffic going out on Rt. 12 (but my hubby is particularly impatient and antsy, LOL).

We just have an infant, but my neighbors just went (also Corolla) with their school aged kids, and I could check with her about what other fun kid activities they did. Good luck, and have fun!

Mama V

LBW
07-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Too funny - I was going to suggest Duck or Corolla and renting through Twiddy! That's what we did a couple of summers ago and it was a great experience. Twiddy's website is awesome - you can check out satellite views of the houses to see where they are in relation to other homes, the beach, paths, etc.

Liza - Would you mind PM'ing me your rental # on Twiddy? We're thinking about venturing south again for vacation next year.

kdeunc
07-11-2009, 01:35 PM
The in-laws have a place in Frisco (between Avon and Hatteras). I actually prefer that part of the Outer Banks because it is "quieter". In Avon there is a Food Lion and shops, restaurants etc. a little more so than in Hatteras. My thought is that you really can't go wrong anywhere. We are ocean-side and it is an easy walk to the beach. Have a wonderful time!

infomama
07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Ironically I was going to post a similar ? last night as we leave for the Outer Banks next week for a 10 day vacation..we chose to stay in Hatteras. Thanks for the good info!

infocrazy
07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
We went last year and LOVED it. We stayed in Corolla. We used elanvacations.com and they were great. It was really fun.

Laurel
07-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Too funny - I was going to suggest Duck or Corolla and renting through Twiddy! That's what we did a couple of summers ago and it was a great experience. Twiddy's website is awesome - you can check out satellite views of the houses to see where they are in relation to other homes, the beach, paths, etc.

Liza - Would you mind PM'ing me your rental # on Twiddy? We're thinking about venturing south again for vacation next year.

We just stayed in Duck through Twiddy in June and had a great time!

shawnandangel
07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Personally, Nags Head is our favorite. We stay at First Colony Inn when we go. It's a Bed and Breakfeast, waterfront views, very short walk to the beach.

I love the outer banks! A word to the wise - Dirty Dicks restaurant is very expensive and the food is about as good as Red Lobster. I wouldn't go again.

We bought a hammock swing for our front porch from Nags Head Hammocks. It is fantastic! One of our favorite purchases of all time!

tnrnchick74
07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I guess I'm the lone dissenter - I HATE the Outer Banks! I find it boring; the water is cold; the lifeguards are rude; its way too isolated for me with very few things to do besides the ocean.

Of course I lived there briefly as well...its HORRIBLE in the winter!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I guess I'm the lone dissenter - I HATE the Outer Banks! I find it boring; the water is cold; the lifeguards are rude; its way too isolated for me with very few things to do besides the ocean.

Any alternatives you would recommend? :)

Beth

lizajane
07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

that is why we like it! there is "nothing to do!" we read, sit on the beach, play games, talk, walk, ride bikes...

lizajane
07-11-2009, 07:11 PM

http://www.twiddy.com/homes/corolla/corolla-light/tretower.aspx

it is my parents' house, we just get to use it, so i am not advertising!! ;)

feel free to ask me any specific questions!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
that is why we like it! there is "nothing to do!" we read, sit on the beach, play games, talk, walk, ride bikes...

That is exactly the vacation we are looking to have. We did Florida in April and it was non stop. We took a weekend trip a few weeks ago that was not relaxing either. I want to kick back and have nothing to do except hang with the family and do all the things mentioned in that quote. :)

Beth

kdeunc
07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
That is exactly the vacation we are looking to have. We did Florida in April and it was non stop. We took a weekend trip a few weeks ago that was not relaxing either. I want to kick back and have nothing to do except hang with the family and do all the things mentioned in that quote. :)

Beth
Then you are headed to the right place! :) That is exactly what I love about it too.

Joolsplus2
07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Great thread :). Now I understand why most of my neighbors here in VA have OBX stickers on their cars, lol. We're a 'nothing to do'-loving family, so it sounds good for us. (I thought the water was warmer, though? Depends on perspective, maybe? Surely it's not as warm as Florida, not as cold as the Pacific in California??? I'm used to Hawaii ocean, about 72F)

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2009, 10:29 PM
-Would soundfront be ok? I like the idea of having an unobstructed view of something and there are a few soundfront ones that look interesting. One I am reading now says "private sound beach". What would that be like?

-Buxton? No one has mentioned that place (I should prob. reread!) so I was curious.

TIA! You all rock, btw!!

Beth

kdeunc
07-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Buxton is just south of Avon and where the Cape Hatteras lighthouse is located. There is a really good ice cream place there (Uncle Eddie's) :). I like the sound side. My kids like to go to the sound to swim and use their inflatables. It is often less crowded but there is an area heavily used by Kite Boarders.

tnrnchick74
07-11-2009, 11:27 PM
See, I don't mind not doing anything - but I hate the isolation. I also hate cold ocean water. That has to do with growing up in FL...warm ocean waters!

I will say that you need to take a day and take the ferry to Ocracoke. It's a cool island to visit. Also see if you can track down the wild horses in Corrolla.

I thought all the local places to eat were over priced and the quality of food not too good. The Black Pelican is hit or miss. There are few chains on the OBX, but my experience has been that their food is sub par to other chains.

I love the Norfolk and Baltimore areas for vacation, personally...and I love DC!

No matter what you decide to do/not do - ENJOY your vacation and family time together!

Ceepa
07-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree that the Outer Banks is boring. If you're local to it, then it's a nice option, but not worth traveling great distances.

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree that the Outer Banks is boring. If you're local to it, then it's a nice option, but not worth traveling great distances.

I'm open to other suggestions...bring them on. :) We are just starting to pull together ideas now but the idea of a relaxing beach week does have appeal. :)

Be

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Another question- would I want a Saturday or Sunday check in/ check out day?

Ceepa
07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Personally I like the idea of having a place to day trip away from the beach like Charleston, SC, or else Hilton Head Island near Savannah, GA.

I know you guys will have fun wherever you land.

MartiesMom2B
07-12-2009, 10:18 AM

I live in NC and I the outer banks are not my favorite beaches in the state. We like Wrightsville. I have a lot of friends who like Sunset beach. But I'm fine with people going to the Outerbanks - let that area stay crowded.