PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my birthday present

katydid1971
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
DH asked me what I want for my birthday and I have a few needs and wants hanging around in my head. I really can't decide please give me your input. My top wants right now are a new microwave hood for over my range, mine is starting to act up. A new lens for my camera, although I really should take a class to learn more about my camera first, a 12 inch le Creuset fry pan or a spa day. Thanks for your feedback.

wellyes
07-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Anything but the microwave hood!!

bubbaray
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, my "love language" is things/material items. So, *I* would not like the spa day (or mani/pedi), I want to be able to look at something and remember when I got if for, KWIM? Everyone is different, though. If you are a "service" love language, that might be just the ticket.

Definitely NOT the microwave hood. Ack. That is a household item, not a b-day gift!

FWIW, I got a ROCKIN' Coach purse for my recent b-day. I love the purse so much, its a bit scary. Seriously. I have a huge amount of purses, ranging from real LV to cheapo ones from REI and similar. I loooooove this purse. I should name it. LOL.

Globetrotter
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
camera lens and lessons?

I wouldn't count the microwave hood as that is a household necessity, and I'm saying this as the rare woman who LOVES to get gadgets and appliances for her birthdays. Of course, you could always fix the roof for dh's next bday :p

Oh, I agree with Bubbaray about the spa, but I feel the same about flowers, etc...

npace19147
07-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I would love the spa day, the idea of a day to relax and be pampered sounds great to me! I do love stuff, but we have tons and stuff and are always looking for places to put everything, so an experience gift sounds good to me. Next would be a camera lens and lessons.

Definitely NOT the microwave hood!! That's right up there with a vacuum IMO!

nrp
07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Another thumbs down on the microwave hood. I actually voted for the Le Creuset pan, but that's just because I have that on my list right now! Spa day would of course be marvelous.

kijip
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Household appliances do not a birthday present make. I say whatever you want most besides the Microwave hood.

eidean
07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm going to differ from the others and say spa days sounds best. I like gifts for services I can use and enjoy that won't clutter up my house any more. We already have so much stuff (when I'm less generous I call it all 'junk') that I prefer not to add too much more. It sounds like the other items will still get used so they're certainly not in the 'junk' category, but I still prefer the services. I also agree with pp though, no microwave hood!

Mermanaid
07-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I voted Le Creuset pan. That is something that I would never buy myself but always dream about having.

LMPC
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Anything that can be used by others without your permission is NOT a birthday present (that's *my* rule anyway)! I vote for the spa day...mmmmmm, sounds lovely!

kijip
07-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Anything that can be used by others without your permission is NOT a birthday present (that's *my* rule anyway)! I vote for the spa day...mmmmmm, sounds lovely!

Good policy!

JTsMom
07-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I second the lens and lessons suggestion above, or even just the lessons. Definitely NOT the microwave hood!

lizajane
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
i voted camera lens. a new camera is my biggest ME want right now. i also want new dishes, glasses and flatware. (and a deck. and a rug. and a lot of things i can't afford.

so when i got $150 total from family members for my birthday, i was going to buy glasses and flatware. and then i thought, no, i will use craigslist sale money or something like that instead. so i got myself my first GOOD pair of sunglasses that i have had in YEARS today AND a super duper cute pair of yellow sandals with flowers on them. (they were on the cover of People's style issues, according to the sales' girl! ha ha!)

i am very glad i choose ME and not "house" for my birthday money. and i suggest you do the same!!

ourbabygirl
07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree; SPA DAY all the way! I got some gift certificates for some massages for Mother's Day after getting a mini-spa day from DH for my bday... (I told him that anytime he wanted to get me something, he could get me a massage!). It's something that will make you feel really good, it's done by a professional, and I'm assuming it also includes baby-sitting by DH or someone else:tongue5:. Great opportunity to be pampered, and you'll come back feeling refreshed and pretty!
Have fun and happy birthday!

Globetrotter
07-13-2009, 03:27 AM
I thought of you today as I picked out a closet organizing system for MY bday present! But still, a microwave hood would not give me the same level of joy that these organized closets will :)