PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/restaurant take-out utensils & packets?

smiles33
07-11-2009, 05:39 PM
We don't get take-out every week, but we get it regularly enough that I have 3 bags full of plastic utensils, disposable chopsticks, and soy sauce packets/parmesan cheese pouches/red chili flakes/etc. after cleaning out our pantry. I hate to toss all of it, but can't figure out what to do with it. Is there anywhere to donate this? Can you think of some sort of art project I could do with it? Any other ideas?

MontrealMum
07-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I use chopsticks as plant stakes, and we generally eat the soy eventually. Or I cook with it. No idea about the rest, and would love to hear everyone else's ideas too. We also try hard not to take the extras, or give them back ;)

JTsMom
07-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I would try something like a soup kitchen or shelter of some sort. Let us know who ends up with them, b/c I tend to get a collection of them going as well.

hollybloom24
07-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I second the food pantry/soup kitchen. I think it is a great thought!

Octobermommy
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Also, when placing the order request no utensils or sauces. They are usually happy to oblige.

kransden
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I take plastic stuff to dd's teacher's lounge. It always gets used there.

Globetrotter
07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
freecycle

seriously, I've unloaded all sorts of stuff there!

baymom
07-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Also, when placing the order request no utensils or sauces. They are usually happy to oblige.

:yeahthat:

DebbieJ
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
When my brother was in Iraq, I sent lots of packets of sauces, etc, to him there. The soldiers appreciate them.

TwinFoxes
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
When my brother was in Iraq, I sent lots of packets of sauces, etc, to him there. The soldiers appreciate them.

Do you know a way to send these if there's not a specific person you're sending to? I personally don't have a big stockpile, but it seems like many people do, and knowing how to get these to our troops would be helpful (and honestly if our troops need them I'd start getting them from take out places and sending them over.)

DietCokeLover
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I LOVE the idea of sending them to the troops.

Another thought might be to give them to a local Girls and Boys Club or something like that.

DebbieJ
07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Do you know a way to send these if there's not a specific person you're sending to? I personally don't have a big stockpile, but it seems like many people do, and knowing how to get these to our troops would be helpful (and honestly if our troops need them I'd start getting them from take out places and sending them over.)

You cannot mail anything address to "A Soldier"--you have to mail to someone specific. Ask around--I'm sure you'll find someone who has a relative or a church member or someone over there that you can send them to. My brother is back on his base in Okinawa now.

Melanie
07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I keep a few extra sets in my glove box for that time you actually will be eating the Take out, out, and they forget them! I also have a stash in my kitchen to throw into our cooler for when we're going somewhere with lunch from home.