PDA

View Full Version : Allergy drama at my house

elektra
07-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Just wanted to share what turned out to be a funny story but the drama was running high at my house last night for a few minutes there!
So DH had the group of people that he manages at work and their families over last night for a BBQ. One man has a 3.5 yo DD and a 2 yo DD, and the 3.5 yo has alot of allergies, including a dog allergy that is pretty serious. We keep our dogs in the office anytime they are here. The parents seem relaxed to a point ( I mean they do come over to our house still) but are still pretty vigilant about their DD #1.
So my DD and their DD #1 are running in and out of the house while we are outside. After my DD runs out, I look in to see how their DD #1 is doing. I see her down on her hands and knees, and what is she doing? DRINKING FROM OUR DOG BOWL! I tell her dad really quick and he runs in, and takes her to the bathroom. He is trying to be calm but the little girl got upset.
Luckily, she was ok and there was no serious reaction.
Of all the kids that have been to our house, it's of course the allergic one that tries the drinking from the dog bowl thing!

Melaine
07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
That is funny. And scary. And then funny again.

But a 3 and a half year old drinking out of a dog bowl?!? Maybe she didn't realize what it was if she's allergic and hasn't been exposed to pets!

KpbS
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Cute story :) So glad she was ok.

We had a somewhat similar thing happen w/ DS1 last summer. He went outside w/ DH to play with the neighbor's dog--they were great friends. After coming inside he hopped into the bath and started to get hives and redness all over his face. We had no idea what was causing it. He had played w/ the dog numerous times and had been licked by the dog and had close contact w/ dog hair but I immediately gave him benadryl and kept him up late to see if the reaction was going to progress. Thankfully it got better. Turns out the pooch had eaten a raw egg over some dry dog food.

DrSally
07-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Glad she's ok! Of course it's the child with the dog allergy. We talk about Ds having a "dog allergy" b/c he broke out in pretty severe hives from my sister's dog licking him on the face (eye lids swollen almost shut, whole face puffy, etc.). I believe it was from peanut butter in the dog food as he hasn't had this reaction to any other dog licks. But, when dogs approach him, we just tell the owner that he's "allergic" to dogs, b/c it's easier than explaining.