PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Hut delivery question

deborah_r
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I just ordered Pizza Hut for delivery. Order total was $23.98, before tax and delivery charge. Tax is $2.45. Delivery charge is $2.50. They seemed to start this delivery charge last year when gas went sky-high, I think. I think it was only $1 before.

So I'm wondering: who gets the $2.50? Does the driver get any of that? I hate tipping after paying $2.50 for delivery. The place is less than a mile from my house.

I usually still give about a $3.00 tip, but I feel like I'm being scammed here. What would you (or do you) do?

katydid1971
07-11-2009, 05:59 PM
My bet is the driver isn't getting the $2.50 and would still tip on top of that. Its too bad they have added this charge. My brother delivered pizzas in college (like 20 years ago LOL) got paid about minimum wage and most people stiffed him the tip. That $2 or $3 doesn't mean much to you but it does to the delivery person.

pharmjenn
07-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I once asked the Dominos driver this question. The driver gets a portion of the delivery fee. I think atleast half. I tip off that information.
I agree that I hate to tip so much for a quick delivery, not knowing how much they get off those extra charges.

BabyMine
07-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Good question OP. I was thinking that since the driver was delivering it then he was getting it. I was hoping it was compensating for the people who stiffed him. I always tipped but I was hoping he was making more now. I wish they would give them 100% of it.

Reyadawnbringer
07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I was a delivery driver for Pizza Hut 8 years ago. I actually remember the delivery charge being $2.50 or close to it way back then as well.

As a delivery driver I earned $1 of that "delivery charge". Also, I was not compensated for gas or mileage so that one dollar out of two was supposed to make up for the fact that I was getting stiffed on gas money and mileage. Delivery drivers don't make a whole lot of money and most of what happens to their car/gas has to be paid by themselves. With that in mind I do not skimp on a tip as long as my service was reasonable and my food does not arrive cold/mangled.

Keep in mind though that this was 8 years ago, so things may have changed- but I doubt it.

AJP
07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
We're in the pizza business. From my exp, drivers keep part or none of the delivery fee...never seen them keep all. This all has to do with if they are already reimbursed for their gas/mileage and if there is a company delivery vehicle involved or not (since the business pays for the vehicle gas & insurance). I always tip in addition to this fee and just assume that thats what the business is charing me as a convenience fee to not have to leave my house.

deborah_r
07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Glad to hear from some people in the know. This is helpful.

I am not trying to short-change the delivery drivers. I actually thought maybe people were so bad about stiffing the delivery drivers that they then added this fee to account for that, so maybe I wasn't even supposed to tip at all.

I was thinking the other delivery places don't do this, but maybe they do and I just don't see the calculation (like for Chinese food). I do my Pizza Hut ordering online, so I am aware of the cost in detail.

Thanks!