PDA

View Full Version : ISO deal on Kids digital camera -any with video?

lilye13
07-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
My DS has decided he would really like a digital camera that take video like ours for his upcoming 6th birthday. I didn't find any new threads on digital cameras and wondered if there actually are any good kids ones? He is actually good at using our but the drop factor etc makes me look for one designed for kids. Any help or advice would be most welcome:>!!!
Thanks so much!

schums
07-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I looked at digital cameras last year for DC for Christmas. The kid ones at that time were VERY expensive for what you get. Low resolution and limited storage capability. Yeah, you can drop them without damage but if the pictures are lousy, it's not going to get used enough to get dropped.

I ended up with a Kodak 10 megapixels easy share that was on sale at Target. Awesome camera, takes videos, the whole 9 yards. I actually use it almost all the time, and have passed on my (originally much more expensive) camera to the kids to use. I think we paid ~$80, it came with a soft case and a rechargable battery. My DC are 7 and almost 6, so 6 and just 5 when they got it. I can count on one hand the number of times it's been dropped, and it works great. One thing we did to minimize dropping was to get a lanyard type thing and attach it to the camera. DC could only use the camera if the lanyard was around their neck (we controlled access to the camera).

If you're really concerned about dropping and breaking, maybe look to see if there is a hard case that the camera fits in?

lilye13
07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks! I was just saying that to DH- the just get a cheaper regular one, with warranty, that may be better. Ultimately it's really the losing it that would be the kicker.
I have a hard time keeping track of my canon even. DH also suggested some are more "rugged" style. Off to check Target and Costco......thanks so much!

justlearning
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Both my 6 and 3-year-olds have their own v-tech cameras, which they LOVE! My older DS keeps telling us that it was best present ever. Those cameras play games, takes tons of pics (we added a cheap memory card), and also take videos. The image quality of the video and pics isn't great (the sound quality is good IMO) but my kids don't mind. My 6 year-old takes his EVERYWHERE and has dropped it many times, left it outside, etc and it's kept working great through it all. The batteries also last a very long time. We highly recommend the cameras as long as you're not overly concerned about the image quality.

brittone2
07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
DS is 5 and has saved up enough for a digital camera. We'll likely buy an adult camera...better resolution, etc as a PP said. We are going to do the lanyard thing too.

wolverine2
07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
We just got a v-tech as well (at the same time as I got a new camera- so DS wouldn't want to play with mine). The quality of pictures isn't great (especially if you don't hold still), but it has been a fabulous purchase- $45 I think, and it does video, games, funny add-ons to pictures, and you can put a SD card in for storage. We looked at the fisher price as well, and this one is so much more sophisticated.