PDA

View Full Version : book about how to eat with hypoglycemia?

lizajane
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
anyone else hypoglycemic? i haven't even made an effort to learn more about it because i have focused on the celiac/gluten free diet. but i would like to find a book that describes the best way to eat, or the best way to learn how to eat for one's own specific needs. i don't want something gimic-y or trendy. just good, simple information about good, whole foods.

elliput
07-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Basically it is the same as eating as a diabetic- you just don't want to get your sugars fall too low.

Since you should be in the habit of checking labels for hidden gluten - start looking for added sugars too. Avoid refined sugars in favor of whole foods to keep sugar levels in balance.

rwiklendt
07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I was diagnosed 10+ years ago, but I've never read a book. I just make sure that I eat enough protien, esp if I eat something with a lot of sugar. I can tell when my sugar starts to get low and need to eat something. Nut bars, power bars, etc. are really good, handy options to keep in a bag, car, etc. Someone once told me that apples are a great food for hypoglycemics and you can eat as many as you want in a day, but bananas are really high in sugar. I have found that if I eat a good breakfast I can get away with more during the day. A bagel and cream cheese is one of my favorites.

notasherpa
07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Liza,

I have read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Carb-Cookbook-Secrets-Glycemic/dp/1583330844/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247368295&sr=1-3

It is the Good Carb Cookbook from Sandra Woodruff. I found it very helpful and easy to use. It gives clear explanations and has recipes which are easy to prepare.

Good luck!

Becky

newg
07-11-2009, 11:19 PM
You want a good combo of fat, protein and carbs.....a "slow drip" of sugar into the blood stream rather than a large spike......if you are already checking labels for gluten, you are probably already eating a good, balanced diet....
I personally haven't looked for info about hypoglycemia, but the American Diabetes Assoc. has a website with alot of literature on it...including books....so there might be something about hypoglycemia on it
www.diabetes.org

Good luck!!

mytwosons
07-12-2009, 06:38 AM
the American Diabetes Assoc. has a website with alot of literature on it...including books....so there might be something about hypoglycemia on it
www.diabetes.org

:yeahthat: They also have a cookbook that used to be our "Bible".

lizajane
07-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I was diagnosed 10+ years ago, but I've never read a book. I just make sure that I eat enough protien, esp if I eat something with a lot of sugar. I can tell when my sugar starts to get low and need to eat something. Nut bars, power bars, etc. are really good, handy options to keep in a bag, car, etc. Someone once told me that apples are a great food for hypoglycemics and you can eat as many as you want in a day, but bananas are really high in sugar. I have found that if I eat a good breakfast I can get away with more during the day. A bagel and cream cheese is one of my favorites.

i want a book because my diet is so specific already. see- i can't eat a bagel or a power bar, etc. i have celiac. so the apple info was REALLY awesome!! thanks for that!!!

brittone2
07-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance, etc?

For those of us with IR, if we eat something carb/sugar heavy, our body tends to have too much insulin floating around. That then causes our blood sugar to actually drop too quickly at times, leaving us with a feeling of hypoglycemia, etc.

I'd definitely try cutting back the sugar, etc along w/ the gluten if you can. IME, upping fats also helps stabilize blood sugar.

You might want to also look at reactive hypoglycemia.

lizajane
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance, etc?

For those of us with IR, if we eat something carb/sugar heavy, our body tends to have too much insulin floating around. That then causes our blood sugar to actually drop too quickly at times, leaving us with a feeling of hypoglycemia, etc.

I'd definitely try cutting back the sugar, etc along w/ the gluten if you can. IME, upping fats also helps stabilize blood sugar.

You might want to also look at reactive hypoglycemia.

i asked my doc about insulin resistance a while back and he didn't seem to think it fit, but i was tested for a LOT of stuff before we found celiac. i was dx'd with hypoglycemia after a blood test he did (that i didn't know he added!) when testing my thyroid levels. my blood sugar, AFTER breakfast, was something like 58. so we didn't really discuss it... he just said to eat low sugar, high protein. but i loooove sugar. so i really need to do more research to see how i can wean off refined sugar and still not freak out. like replacing a dessert with sliced peaches and no-sugar cool whip or somethin' until i can get to the point where i can deal with fruit only. i also read to avoid caffeine, which bums me out! but i can do it. i really enjoy my diet coke.