PDA

View Full Version : Decided to try Sugar Busters Diet

swrc00
07-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Dh is borderline diabetic and is in need of losing weight. The doctor suggested he try Sugar Busters or South Beach to learn what to eat. I need to lose as well. I really want this to be a lifestyle change. I have done South Beach before. Has anyone tried Sugar Busters and stuck with it?

hellokitty
07-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I did sugar busters and did well on it. However, got pg with DS1 and didn't really stick to it after that. I believe that it is a sound diet plan. My RE had diagnosed with me with PCOS with some insulin resistance (although my ob disagrees with the diagnosis), so if you are "pre-diabetic," I bet you will have some luck with it.

TonFirst
07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
As I understand it, it is a great diet for pre-diabetes. I did it several years ago and had great success - I didn't want to lose a ton, but what I wanted to lose, I lost quickly and kept it off until my first pregnancy. What I like about it is that, unlike South Beach (at least in the first few phases of SB), it is NOT no-carb. Sugar Busters really focuses on sticking to whole grains, sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, etc.

DebbieJ
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Dh's old boss was dx'd with diabetes and did great on the Sugar Busters Diet. He lost weight and was in the best shape of his life.

tekins
07-12-2009, 09:45 AM
are there any websites you can recommend? I'm interested in learning more.

wellyes
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I look at the FAQ and was confused by its protien recommendation.

It said take your body weight and divide by 2.2. By that standard, I need 90+ grams per day.

The standard recommended daily allowance is your ideal body weight, measured in kg, and multiply by .8. By this standard, I need 47.

As a vegetarian this is pretty important to me. 47 I can get without trying. 90 seems crazy high to me.

mommy111
07-12-2009, 03:05 PM
are there any websites you can recommend? I'm interested in learning more.
Have you looked at 3fatchicks.com? I remeber a while ago it had a pretty active sugarbusters section

brittone2
07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Lowcarbfriends.com has a section for SouthBeach...not sure about SugarBusters.

For general low carb recipes, I like these two sites:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/