PDA

View Full Version : 40th anniversary gift ideas - help please!

wellyes
07-11-2009, 09:57 PM
My parents are visiting next week and their trip coincides with their 40th anniversary. I am desperately trying to come up with a good gift!

We don't do gift cards in our family, my mother dislikes the idea of them. And unfortunately I live many states away and don't have access to their wedding photos. They live simply and quietly and don't travel or socialize much. But they don't want for anything, either. So I'm thinking maybe a .... I dunno, a keepsake box or ornament or something like that? Something pretty but not too extravagant. It's too bad men don't wear jewelry, matching bracelets or something like that would be perfect.

Anyway I'd love any suggestions!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Can you take them out to a truly spectacular dinner and maybe a show? Is that something they would like? No clutter and it could be a nice memory for them.

Beth

ourbabygirl
07-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm going to come back to see the other suggestions, as my parents will also celebrate their 40th this fall. Since your parents/ mom don't like material 'gifts,' could you do a donation to a charity they might support (or to their church, in honor of their anniversary), or a gift certificate to a B&B or 'experience' for them? Something like a scenic dinner train ride, or tickets to a play/ opera/ show, or spa day? You could do some sort of sentimental album for them including what was going on in 1969 around the time they got married, so they could think back on fond memories (popular songs, shows, prices of things)- kind of like a time capsule. Maybe also send a photo and short blurb about them to their local paper to honor them?

salsah
07-12-2009, 12:10 AM
are you my sister? just today my sister called to ask me what we should do for my parents' 40th. they sound like your parents -- they don't like anything material and don't want us to spend money on gifts for them. so we need to think of something sentimental. My only ideas so far involve photos. the first idea is to frame and hang their wedding photo, my sister's, and mine, all on the same wall with matching / coordinating frames. they recently did some remodeling so they don't have anything on the walls yet. the second idea is to make a photo book of their wedding album (scan the photos -- not sure how the quality will turn out) and/or photos of them over the past 40 years.
if i come up with any other ideas, i'll post again.

urquie
07-12-2009, 12:24 AM
You could do some sort of sentimental album for them including what was going on in 1969 around the time they got married, so they could think back on fond memories (popular songs, shows, prices of things)- kind of like a time capsule.

this website (http://dmarie.com/timecap/)is fun for seeing what happened in history on a specific date... it also gives prices of things, the president, top songs, favorite new toys, etc. i think there are more similar sites.

wellyes
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Updating this thread in case anyone is searching "40th anniversary" and needs ideas.....

I did my folks a "Hits of 1969" CD.
I also got them ruby- themed gifts of the 'slightly nicer than they'd get themselves but not extravagant' variety:
This watch (http://www.amazon.com/Birthstone-Womens-Bangle-Watch-0701BG0007/dp/B0027P8YX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1248123251&sr=8-1) for my mom.
And a red 'space pen' (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Space-Pen-Bullet-400RCCL/dp/B0014M1YCG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1248123303&sr=8-4) for my dad.