PDA

View Full Version : Should I be matching the car seat to the interior of my car?

Nechums
07-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I know this is a weird question, but is it going to look silly if I buy a grey-ish car seat for my car with tan interior?

Melaine
07-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I was wondering this too. One of our cars has a grey interior, the other one has a tan interior. I did think that a greyish seat might clash in the tan car but we actually didn't get seats for it, so I'm obviously no help.

Joolsplus2
07-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Purely a matter of personal preference. I usually mention it to people when I'm working at BRU and I'm surprised how many people don't care one bit (after being online so much, where so many people DO care, and I mean, we're talking matchity match match match care, lol).
Me? It's all about the harness straps. I have gray seatbelts, and sort of like my harnesses to be gray, or black, but tan straps might get under my skin a bit :ROTFLMAO:

o_mom
07-12-2009, 09:42 AM
I think it goes against the manufacturer's instructions to have a mismatched seat. ;)

Totally kidding. :) I like for mine to match somewhat.... I did draw the line at every single seat matching and I'm all about cheap and convenient as well. I do get a little smile when I have the cow print seat and the grey booster in DHs gray car, but I'm putting the matching black Marathons, with grey straps in my tan van for a trip because I don't want any fighting over who gets the green seat vs. the brown seat and the black ones are the only ones exactly alike.

Momof3Labs
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I used to try, but we have one vehicle with a grey interior and one with tan, and we have switched the seats around periodically as seats were outgrown, expired, etc. Does that mean that you'd buy new seats (or new covers and harnesses) if you buy a new car?

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, matching seats is something *I* prefer -- I just cringe when I see a tan seat in a grey interior, LOL. The ability to easily switch covers at will is the main reason I still LOVE my Marathons!

Matching seats is easily solved if you get a cover that goes with any interior, like PINK! ;)

gobadgers
07-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I cared about the colors of infant seat and the first convertible seat (both black/gray to go with our gray and black cars), but when I bought the second convertible seat I found a good deal on a tan one. After some deliberating, I snagged it. The interior of the car is black so that makes it slightly better in my mind...

KrisM
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I have a tan interior. I have a blue, a tan, and a grey seat in it.

DH has a grey interior and he has a blue and a tan seat in it.

I move them around depending on who fits in what too much and I definitely wouldn't buy a new cover if a new car had different color seats.

Melanie
07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
With our first one I did...grey interior, very boring BRU-stock grey Britax seat. With the second one I got the soft plushy puppy-paw one that was more fun and soft. Then with Dd I got cutesy girly ones... For Dh's car they have matching cow print. LOL. He said he drew the line at leopard but cow was okay. Go figure?

What bothers me is that in my car, at the moment, their seats do not match eachothers. I tried and tried but couldn't find the seat for Dd to match Ds' booster anymore. I should have bought them at the same time but she didn't need a bigger one yet.

sadie427
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I would personally NEVER give that a second thought, I don't think most people worry about their carseats matching their cars!

amandabea
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I think it should coordinate, but we have black leather interior, so it's easy to match. I really wanted a cutesy girl print, prerferably in pink, but DH is the most obsessive, compulsive, anal-retentive person ever (we're talking major life-function level), so we have the graphite w/ black trim MAs in both cars -- he couldn't fathom having two different seats.

AJP
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I never thought about matching it to my interior, but I did pick a pattern/color I liked for the Britax (cowmooflauge). I have black interior so I guess its easier though. I hated the color of my Keyfit 30's when I first got them. They were the orange ones & only color available when I registered. They grew on me, but I chose for the seat itself.

hellokitty
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
All of our cars are a grey/charcoal color on the inside. Right now our two marathons are both in that same color, although I have an extra cover that is tan. Our other carseats are all in that color range too. I don't think it matters, b/c for boys, you get stuck with either black/grey/brown/tan, for girls they get all sorts or pretty colors. I actually get quite annoyed that the girl seats are so much prettier than the boy seats... no fair. How come they can't make cute boy seats covers?

zukeypur
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I got super girly car seats for our car, but now I'm cringing. I got the Ashley floral MA and the daisy Compass booster, but I recently got a SuperCool radian (grey) to match the interior of DH's car because he begged for no florals. I LOVE having a matching seat so much that I switched the seats around to where he is stuck with one of the girly florals.:hysterical: I'm currently looking for used MA covers so that I don't have to look at the floral anymore.

hellokitty
07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I got super girly car seats for our car, but now I'm cringing. I got the Ashley floral MA and the daisy Compass booster, but I recently got a SuperCool radian (grey) to match the interior of DH's car because he begged for no florals. I LOVE having a matching seat so much that I switched the seats around to where he is stuck with one of the girly florals.:hysterical: I'm currently looking for used MA covers so that I don't have to look at the floral anymore.

See, I'm in the opposite situation. I think that our carseats are all extremely drab looking, b/c those are the only, "boy" patterns out there. I always see the pretty girl carseats and feel jealous that you actually have a choice btwn drab and colorful...

elliput
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I honestly don't care about matching the car seats to the interior- in the grand scheme of life, this is not going make one single bit of difference. Both vehicles we own have grey interiors and our car seats have blue denim or red/black color schemes.

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Your DH needs to suck it up and accept that he's outnumbered, LOL!

My DH has an AF MA in his new truck. I'm probably getting him a pink cover set for the Nautilus too.

The seats in my van are both pink. A screamin' girly Brooke MA and a pink & grey Monterey. :heartbeat:

HIU8
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
:yeahthat: Although I do know people who care. It really never occured to me. I wanted the seat that was going to be the best for DD and DS and I always look for a good sale. It just happens that I have 2 MA in True Blue and one in the continental blue fabric. DD's spare seat is pink with a mishmosh of other colors and DS's spare seat is graphite.

MontrealMum
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
It never occurred to me to think about it, but I guess there could be some combos that might be a bit glaring. As it happens, our infant bucket matched the exterior of my car :)

We have one grey interior and one tan. And two MAs in Cowmoo...it's a psudo-neutral, right? :p

vonfirmath
07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't give it a second thought. I could not tell you what color my car is without going out and checking.

And I move car seats around a LOT, so it would be a lot harder if I had to match them.

(besides, when my son isn't in the car, no one sees the car seat anyway. They see the odd blue-edged and flowers on the inside tablecloth I bought at a thrift store and use to keep the seat from getting too hot.)

AnnieW625
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I am anal retentive about things like that, however I do have an light aqua green Marathon in my light grey interior Pilot. It was the Marathon that Target sold at the time (they usually only have one or two patterns) and we bought the seat before I got the Pilot so we had no idea what the interior of the new car was going to be. For the Corolla I really wanted the black/grey Frontier, but when we bought it the Frontier was coming off a major recall and we couldn't find many and our BRUS had the black and tan seat which looked okay in the black interior of the Corolla. I wouldn't have been agreeable to the green/tan model either; that's just butt ugly IMHO, and I opted for non girly colors on both seats because we want to have more kids..

codex57
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
We tried, but gave up. We have a black and tan Recaro and a black and grey Britax. Interiors are black and grey for the truck and tan for the sedan. However, DW wanted the Britax in the sedan so the seats are sorta mismatched. JUst not worth worrying about. With kids, there's so much more to worry about.

Now infant seat and strollers. Those have to match. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/icon9.gif http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/tongue3.gif

arivecchi
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sooooo proud of how nice my car seats look in my car (tan interior). We have a Britax Blvd in the Regal pattern (black and tan) and a Frontier Canyon (black and tan as well with a bit of red). :bouncy:

lorinick
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
NO! I've never worried about it. More interessed in the safety than if my seat matches my car. I will likely have my seat longer than my car. So whats the point.

AngelaS
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
This is something I've never even thought about. I buy the seats I like and install them and never have thought about how they look in the van.

Currently we have a pink seat and a yellow floral print seat in my van. I think my van interior is gray. But maybe it's tan.

Obviously,it's a detail I'm not concerned about. ROTFL!

kijip
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
I would personally NEVER give that a second thought, I don't think most people worry about their carseats matching their cars!

I agree.

We have a grey car interior. We buy seats based on the best price and/or the color preferences of our older son (for his seat). We have recently used/using in our car: a greenish Roundabout, a Blue/Tan Key Fit, a Pinktastic Madison Regent and a granite Parkway. On reflection, I think only the Parkway "matches" but as for the other three, who cares? Not like people can really get a good look in my tinted windows anyways, :wink2:.

pb&j
07-14-2009, 09:16 AM
As Stacy and Clinton would say, the don't have to "match," they have to "go." So I'm hoping that Zebra and Ashley Floral "go" with each other and my grey interior, b/c they sure as shootin' don't match.

If you really want to spend your time and energy matching your carseats to your car interior, go for it. Not something I've ever considered, though I guess now I know the awful truth that I am being judged for my mismatched car seats. ;)