PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issue, scared to death last night!

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-12-2009, 09:38 AM
UPDATE:
We just got back from the Dr. and I am pretty conviced that he Dx'd it correctly (and didn't just blow me off!)
He said that DS had a vasovagal response, which basically is a brief shutting down of the nervous system due to a number of things (and we think that gagging on saliva could have been the issue). The vasovagal response can cause him to become stiff and stop breathing. It shouldn't reoccur unless it's triggered again, and if it does happen we'll have to have more testing done, but for now it was just one of those freak things that happened. The Dr. did say that had I not woken up, DS most likely would have snapped out of it on his own and began breathing. I feel a little better, but my nerves are still pretty frayed. Thanks so much for all the kind words, it means a lot!

Hi everyone.
DS is almost 1 and sometime in the middle of every night he ends up in our bed where he sleeps peacefully until morning. Last night I awoke and found him to be stiff and not breathing. I don't know how I awoke to find this, but it scared me to death. I screamed, DH flipped on the lights and started hitting DS's back until he finally went limp, started breathing and went back to sleep. I however, did not sleep!
This has never happened before (that I know of).
Any idea of the cause? Have you had experience with this?
I am going to follow up with our Dr. this am.
Thanks,

wellyes
07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh my. Thank goodness for the mommy instinct that woke you up. I am so, so relieved to hear that your son is ok.

I've never heard of anything like that but I am so glad your LO is OK. I hope the doctor figures it out and can find a solution for you so you can sleep peacefully instead of worrying every night.

nrp
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM
How scary! I have no knowledge of this, but is there anything like sleep apnea in babies? I know that in adults it can cause them to stop breathing for a period of time (my uncle has it and has to wear a special mask at night). I have NO idea if that is even a possibilty, but maybe something to ask your doctor.

lizajane
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go mama!!!!! OMG!!! terrifying. i have no idea, but OMG!!! thank goodness for co-sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shawnandangel
07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
The first thing I thought was sleep apnea. Keep us updated! I'm glad to hear your son is okay! How frightening.

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Good thing you were there! How scary! KUP on what the Dr. says.

Beth

Fairy
07-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Oh my god! Oh, I'm so glad he's ok. It does sounds loke sleep apnea to me. I'd callthe Ped immediately. I'm so sorry, I hope you find a resolution right away.

elektra
07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Hugs! How frightening. Glad your LO is ok. Let us know what the doc says.

JTsMom
07-12-2009, 12:00 PM
How scary! Gosh, that's such an understatement too. :hug: Nobody can deny mama instincts.

strollerqueen
07-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Val, that is so frightening. Thank God you woke up. I don't know what that is, but I want to send you big hugs. I hope the doctor can give you an answer. Keep us posted. :grouphug:

Globetrotter
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
maybe sleep apnea?

Thank goodness you noticed - kudos to you, and also HUGS!

amldaley
07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually, many babies have mild apnea episodes as they learn to regulate breathing, but at 12 months old, this doesn't sound normal.

There are different kinds of apnea, including Obstructive Sleep Apnea. PP mentions an uncle, he likely had OSA and wore a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure). I have this and I use a mask. Yes, babies can have it, but commonly.

However, this does not sounds like OSA. There is another kind of apnea where the brain actually fails to tell the body to breathe.

That would not account for the "stiff as a board" aspect. That sounds more like a seizure of some type.

There are many different sleep disorders. I would be careful saying anything to the Dr about sleep apnea. Just tell the Dr exactly what happened and let them diagnose.

ITA with pp's...good for you and your mama instincts.

Fairy
07-12-2009, 04:54 PM
UPDATE:
We just got back from the Dr. and I am pretty conviced that he Dx'd it correctly (and didn't just blow me off!)
He said that DS had a vasovagal response, which basically is a brief shutting down of the nervous system due to a number of things (and we think that gagging on saliva could have been the issue). The vasovagal response can cause him to become stiff and stop breathing. It shouldn't reoccur unless it's triggered again, and if it does happen we'll have to have more testing done, but for now it was just one of those freak things that happened. The Dr. did say that had I not woken up, DS most likely would have snapped out of it on his own and began breathing. I feel a little better, but my nerves are still pretty frayed. Thanks so much for all the kind words, it means a lot!

I am so glad to hear you have a diagnosis and esepcially that he most likely would have righted himself. Keep us updated.

amldaley
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM
UPDATE:

Thanks for updating us! I have been thinking of you ever since reading your OP. That really is frightening. Did Dr say there is anything you can do about it???

Your DS's safety and your poor nerves will both be in my thoughts.

mytwosons
07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I have had several instances of vasovagal response.

1. AFAIK, it does not happen when lying down, but when standing or getting up. One of the tests is actually a tilt board - they strap you to a board (as if you were lying in bed) and tilt it to see if you pass out. I'm guessing your DS was lying flat in bed and wasn't tilted.

2. AFAIK, you don't stop breathing for any real amount of time w/a vasovagal response. You pass out, but don't stop breathing really.

PLEASE seek a second opinion! For peace of mind, I would insist they rule out seizures. FWIW, when I first had a vasovagal response, they ran tests up the whazoo - EKG, EEGs, etc. They hooked me up to every type of monitor and then monitored my heart for 24 hrs. Some seizure activity doesn't show up unless they monitor for an extended time.

amldaley
07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I have had several instances of vasovagal response.

1. AFAIK, it does not happen when lying down, but when standing or getting up. One of the tests is actually a tilt board - they strap you to a board (as if you were lying in bed) and tilt it to see if you pass out. I'm guessing your DS was lying flat in bed and wasn't tilted.

2. AFAIK, you don't stop breathing for any real amount of time w/a vasovagal response. You pass out, but don't stop breathing really.

PLEASE seek a second opinion! For peace of mind, I would insist they rule out seizures. FWIW, when I first had a vasovagal response, they ran tests up the whazoo - EKG, EEGs, etc. They hooked me up to every type of monitor and then monitored my heart for 24 hrs. Some seizure activity doesn't show up unless they monitor for an extended time.

Yeah, I forgot about the seizure testing where they hook you up to a monitor for a week or so...ITA w/ mytwosons...get a 2nd opinion....just in case...

JTsMom
07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Can you get some sort of monitor to use until you have it figured out? It might give you peace of mind.

MamaMolly
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
What about an Angel Care monitor? Doesn't it alarm if the baby doesn't breathe? I wish I had better advice, but I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

lizajane
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
What about an Angel Care monitor? Doesn't it alarm if the baby doesn't breathe? I wish I had better advice, but I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

i think the angel monitor might give you some peace of mind!

strollerqueen
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
We're sending our prayers. I know it is so awful for you. Hang in there, and try to get some sleep! :kisscheek:

DrSally
07-13-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd have been so scared! Glad he's ok. I have a friend who fainted in the shower b/c of a vasovagal response. I think the heat brought it on in her case. I hope there's no repeat!!

mamicka
07-13-2009, 12:38 AM
How frightening! Glad you seem to have it figured out. Hope it never happens again.

MamaKath
07-14-2009, 12:09 AM
UPDATE:

OMGosh how scary!!! My dd had pallid breath holding spells. My understanding is that they are a vasovagal response. It is scary!!! I am glad the dr took it seriously. Huge hugs to you!!! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: