PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions/survival tips for a 7 hour car trip?

mm123
07-12-2009, 10:05 AM
DD is 14 mo, and we're taking her on a 7 - 8 hour car trip. Anyone have any survival tips? Will one of us have to sit in the back seat to keep her 'occupied'? She may sleep for an hour or so, but that's about it. Her car seat is still rear-facing, and we don't own a portable DVD player.

I'm pretty nervous about it- ANY tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Piglet
07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Lots of breaks and lots of snacks ;) We did a 7 hour trip a few times in the last few years and we always started out as early as possible so that the kids were fresh and happy. We brought lots of kid music and sang songs. If everyone was happy we drove and if someone needed a break we took a stretch. McDonald's Play Places were a huge hit even though we don't eat anything there (I would buy a coffee or something). We never used a DVD player and we never sit in the back seat if we can avoid it. It wasn't too bad to the point that we didn't ever do it again, LOL.

ourbabygirl
07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
We've got a long trip like that coming up, and just had a 4 hour trip (we got back yesterday). DD is 9 months, so it's a bit different, but this is what we did:
Left around 8:30 a.m. both times, when she was needing a nap. We stopped to drop off the cat, top off on gas, and get breakfast from a drive-thru, but if I could do over, I'd send DH out to do that before we left so she wouldn't have to be in the car any longer than necessary. She slept for about 45 minutes (me in front; I find that she has a hard time sleeping when I'm in back because she wants to hang out). At some point we stopped for a diaper change and I nursed her, then got back on the road w/me next to her in back to give her toys, play peek-a-boo, read to her, etc. She was pretty good but got fussy later. Then we stopped for a quick lunch; I sat outside on the grass to let her crawl around on a picnic blanket w/toys while DH went to get us something to eat. We all sat out for a while in the sunshine & she got a chance to stretch. Got back in the car, me in front this time so she could take a nap. She was fussy and only slept about 30 or 45 minutes (usually can sleep 1.5-2 hours or so for this nap), but it's better than nothing.
Granted, this is with a kid who doesn't really like car rides (used to have major meltdowns as an infant), so it went o.k. overall.
Next time I'd get some finger puppets, different tactile books, and get a few toys that she's never seen/played with before. Not sure if it would be a good idea to give her some finger foods to keep her occupied, too (with me next to her feeding her). She also loves 'adult' objects like my cell phone, camera, sunglasses, water bottle, etc. She can play with them if I'm next to her supervising (to not poke an eye out/ whatever).

Good luck! The trip will be well worth it, I'm sure ;).

Melbel
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
We have a similar length drive (7-8 hours) coming up when DD2 will be 14 months old and RF. We have a portable DVD player which has been great on prior road trips w/ Baby Einstein videos (she loves World Animals and Neighborhood Animals). DD2 and DS are also in the back seat with her to play and read to her. We are contemplating driving a large portion of the trip at night so the kids can sleep.

mom2akm
07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
We just came back from a 9 hours trip and the worries before hand was far worst than the trip itself. So, stay relaxed but prepared. Have lots of food, drinks and toys ready. Also, have a back up plan, for example, if DC is too fussy after a few hours, may be it's time to check into a motel and continue to drive the next day. We normally have a caretaker sitting at the back on long road trip so that the child's need is taking care of and the driver does not get distracted and can concentrate on driving.
Good luck with the trip. Enjoy it. You'll look back and feel proud that you're doing it.

bluestar2
07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Have a great trip!

daisyd
07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
We did a 9 hour trip with 9 month old DC. It helps to have plenty of breaks and snacks. DC travels well generally and loved the trip.

LBW
07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
We take 12-14 hour trips several times a year. We always:

-leave as early as possible (think 3 or 4 a.m.). That way the kids sleep in the car for the few few hours. Our first stop is breakfast.

-stock up on inexpensive, new books and small toys. (I usually hit the dollar store and Target before each trip. Or I save things I've found on clearance during the year.) Give each child one new treat every hour or couple of hours - basically when they're getting really fidgety.

-pack lots of finger foods so that we don't have to stop every time the kids need a snack. I like dried fruits, crackers, jelly sandwiches, oatmeal cookies, and fig newtons. (Of course, my car is a disaster after every trip.)

I never sit in the back with them, and they're fine with that. I've found that long car trips are surprisingly easy with kids. MUCH easier than long days of air travel.

Good luck!

kransden
07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Buy a cheap DVD player. I got one from Wal-Mart for under 100.00 4 years ago. It has been worth every penny.

kijip
07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Lots of breaks, snacks and little toys.

At 14 months old, I don't see how a DVD player would be all that helpful anyways- can't see a toddler that age being into it for long stretches.

Tammy
07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I did a 10 hr trip with my 17 mo old DD and she did really well. I got her some toys/book/activity stuff and didn't let her have it until we left that day. Or pack up some of dc's current stuff and hide it until you go. I got her the magnetic alphabet letters and a small etcha-sketch doodle thing, plus other small stuff. I packed her backpack and another bag to keep in the car. Also had her Lego's. My mom sat in the back with her the whole time and she did great. She did get to a point on the way back and needed a break, so we stopped and walked around for 15 minutes to let her stretch her legs. Good luck!