PDA

View Full Version : Question on TRU Return Policy

alien_host
07-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I had something to return to TRU and I looked at my receipt and it's been 92 days. The policy says 90 days. Am I out of luck or do you think they'd give me a few days grace period (and if I asked for store credit)?

Is it worth trying or should I just stick it in the gift closet? Also they no longer do returns w/out a receipt right?

It's such a PITA to keep track of what needs to be returned when I hardly ever go to some stores!

TIA!

JTsMom
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Never fails, huh? I would try- maybe they won't notice how many days it's been. What's the worst that could happen? TRU is usually a pretty difficult place for returns though, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Definitely no returns without a receipt- even if it has TRU written all over it.

KrisM
07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I've had them take it when it was a couple days over, but a manager needs to override it. Worth a try.

JMS
07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I did some returns last night at BRU and the receipt was closer to 100 days old. The girl noticed (or the computer notified her, I'm not sure which) and she said it had been a long day so she'd make an exception but I would have to have store credit.

I was being super nice and friendly, which can never hurt :)

slickd23
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
How do they get a way with not taking stuff back without a receipt? If we get a gift and we already have it, too bad for us? My DW had some shower gifts to return yesterday and they were giving her a hard time, since she didn't have a receipt. Guess we should have said to the people giving us the thoughtful gift, sorry we don't need this so can we get the receipt. LOL. Was even told that if it was on the registry it would be no problem. Let's see, if it was on the registry we wouldn't be returning it because it would have been something we wanted. Hence it being on the registry. They finally gave it to her, but come on. Poor policy.

alien_host
07-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks all, I'll see if I have the energy to go try while I'm out on errands!

musicalgrl
07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I've found that this kind of thing is often up to the discretion of the cashier you get and whether or not they want to help you out. So, I agree with the person who said to be super friendly - that never hurts!

AJP
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I've always been able to do returns at BRU without my receipt. They take my license info and of course I only get a merchandise credit. Is TRU even stricter? I've been doing returns this way the past year so definitely since they started their newer policy. It would suck for them to refuse over a few days.

MmeSunny
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
A way to get around this DRACONIAN return policy:

1. If you have a registry active, add said item to registry on-line about 24 hours before attempting the return. No problem.

2. If you do not have an active registry, sign up for one on-line. Takes very little time. Throw a bunch of stuff in there, including the item you want to return. No problems.

Yeah, it's a hassle and a run-around, but at least you'll get store credit without having to hope for a "nice" cashier.

AJP
07-15-2009, 03:26 PM
A way to get around this DRACONIAN return policy:

1. If you have a registry active, add said item to registry on-line about 24 hours before attempting the return. No problem.

2. If you do not have an active registry, sign up for one on-line. Takes very little time. Throw a bunch of stuff in there, including the item you want to return. No problems.

Yeah, it's a hassle and a run-around, but at least you'll get store credit without having to hope for a "nice" cashier.

I have done this in the past when I didn't have my receipt and didn't know if they would take a bunch of things back.
Today I tried to return 2 small things without my receipt and they wouldn't take them back :( She said that their newest policy is to not take them at all (!!!) if I didn't have recpt or cc used (I pay cash). I was too quick to post my earlier lucky experiences the other day. Thank God this policy just went into effect locally b/c I'd be sitting on a lot of unnecessary baby stuff from this past year.

lorinick
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
How do they get a way with not taking stuff back without a receipt? If we get a gift and we already have it, too bad for us? My DW had some shower gifts to return yesterday and they were giving her a hard time, since she didn't have a receipt. Guess we should have said to the people giving us the thoughtful gift, sorry we don't need this so can we get the receipt. LOL. Was even told that if it was on the registry it would be no problem. Let's see, if it was on the registry we wouldn't be returning it because it would have been something we wanted. Hence it being on the registry. They finally gave it to her, but come on. Poor policy.

BRU stopped taking everything back you get without a receipt. It was getting a bit crazy. And most stores are moving toward this type of policy. I think as a gift giver we need to start to rememeber to always give a gift receipt. I always do. People return item from their own registry all the time. They change there minds got more than one etc. The new policy does suck and I'm glad it wasn't in effect when I had my last child. But I can see most stores are getting stick with there return policys.

lorinick
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I've always been able to do returns at BRU without my receipt. They take my license info and of course I only get a merchandise credit. Is TRU even stricter? I've been doing returns this way the past year so definitely since they started their newer policy. It would suck for them to refuse over a few days.

You have gotten very lucky. No receipt no return and not on a registry no return is the policy. TRU is worse. But they run BRU which is new in the last six-eight months and things get worse daily.

smiles33
07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
The registry trick doesn't work at my local BRU. The cashier said that nothing had been purchased from my registry, as he could tell it was just updated by me on-line so he wouldn't let me return it.

Argh! What do I do with a new unused Baby Bjorn Active? I wish I had never registered for it as I love my Beco (which I only discovered recently). I hate the idea of selling it on CL or eBay as I'd only get $75 or so for it at best...Would the registry trick work at Target? Anywhere else? Or should I drive an hour and try to do it another BRU?