PDA

View Full Version : A happy health mystery (LONG)

Melaine
07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
So, I have had acne for most of my life. Usually moderate, occasionally severe, always annoying and never fully treatable for the last, hmmmm 15 years or so. I've been to the dermatologist, tried lots of over the counter treatments, proactive, bare minerals, etc. and never had a truly significant result.
Recently (like the last 6 months maybe) my acne has gotten worse and sort of has looked like an allergic reaction. Lots of tiny bumps and red and painful.

BUT over the last month my face has suddenly become as clear as I can remember it. It feels smoother, looks better and I can actually go out without makeup, which is good because I always have gone out without makeup (I just really really shouldn't have).

The thing is, I cannot figure out what could be helping the acne. I am hoping someone else may clue me in as I have several possible changes that may have helped:

1) I have not used soap on my face in about 3-4 weeks. Yep, no soap, just pretty much washed with water and vinegar a few times and washed with water in the shower. I do still use Mary Kay microdermabrasion once a week or so but I've always done that.

2) Magnesium Supplement. I'm on my 3rd week of using Natural Calm and wondering if that could have changed my skin? I haven't read anything about Magnesium doing that though.

3) Low-gluten diet. I say low because while the girls have been GF, I've just vastly cut down on my Gluten intake and have still been eating up some stuff we had in the cupboard that is not GF. Still, definitely reduced gluten intake.

So what do you think?

ourbabygirl
07-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I've had issues w/acne, too, for the past 15 or so years, and have tried everything. The only things that really seemed to work were Accutane (about 6 years ago) and pregnancy (though now that DD is 9 months, my skin is bad again). I'm thinking it might be the gluten decrease that's helping your skin, just because I've heard that sugar does a lot of bad things to our bodies (esp. skin, I suppose), and since I LOVE sweets, I'm thinking that's why my skin has never really changed.

Good luck and keep us posted; I'm willing to try anything if it gives great results! Acne is SUCH a pain to deal with, especially in adulthood. And summertime is not a fun time to have acne- trying to cover up blemishes while wearing a swimsuit, sweating, wearing tank tops, etc. Hopefully our daughters have their dads' skin!:)

brittone2
07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
None of what you describe surprises me. Many women with PCOS find their skin clears up nicely on a lower carb diet, so cutting gluten would have some overlap with that. This was in my inbox not long ago as well:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAD/13261 (Cutting carbs may help in treatment of acne)

Glad you found something that works!!

I use an unconventional face wash...I "wash" with coconut oil (the "oil cleansing method" which can be googled). It works as well or better than any expensive products I've used in my lifetime.

Wooohoo for finding a great solution.

Melaine
07-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Hopefully our daughters have their dads' skin!:)

I am SOOOO hoping this!! They look like him in almost every way, but I'm afraid they'll still get some of my genetic curses. My skin is baffling because it is SUPER dry yet still acne-prone.

katydid1971
07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
My guess is the GF diet. I bet you have a milder form of the allergy the girls have. Glad you are having a such a positive reaction :)

Melaine
07-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I use an unconventional face wash...I "wash" with coconut oil (the "oil cleansing method" which can be googled). It works as well or better than any expensive products I've used in my lifetime.

THANKS for sharing that idea. I think I heard about it before and forgot but I do have coconut oil so I will be trying this tonight. The oil cleansing method sounds great since my skin is so doggone dry.

brittone2
07-12-2009, 02:48 PM
with the OCM, you may have to play around w/ oils. Lots of people use olive or castor oil. I find my skin does better w/ coconut or jojoba oil. So don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you right away...sometimes you have to play around w/ the oils a bit, kwim?

m448
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Based on my own experience I'd venture to guess that #1 & 2 played a heavy part in this.

I've had heavy acne since I hit puberty at the age of 12. I did it all. Going to the dermatologist on retin a, clinical facials, pills, then the usual home party suspects (avon, mary kay, etc.) plus salon/spa facials including skin care lines, all the lines sold at major department stores, most lines sold at sephora and everything sold at drugstores. Some online stuff too like Paula B.

I finally stopped washing my face about a year ago out of laziness and no time at night and my skin started to clear up. I've always done a cal-mag supplement as well. But it wasn't until I stopped washing my face shortly after discovering no poo 2-3 years ago that it cleared up. I wash with honey when I remember but most mornings it's just a splash of water.

I also do the OCM at night but again, when I remember or am not sleepy which is rare. I've begun making myself a weekly batch of vitamin C serum which helps with the old marks but only when I remember. Mostly benign neglect has been what's helped get rid of what I used to spend hours on improving.

brittone2
07-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Based on my own experience I'd venture to guess that #1 & 2 played a heavy part in this.

I've had heavy acne since I hit puberty at the age of 12. I did it all. Going to the dermatologist on retin a, clinical facials, pills, then the usual home party suspects (avon, mary kay, etc.) plus salon/spa facials including skin care lines, all the lines sold at major department stores, most lines sold at sephora and everything sold at drugstores. Some online stuff too like Paula B.

I finally stopped washing my face about a year ago out of laziness and no time at night and my skin started to clear up. I've always done a cal-mag supplement as well. But it wasn't until I stopped washing my face shortly after discovering no poo 2-3 years ago that it cleared up. I wash with honey when I remember but most mornings it's just a splash of water.

I also do the OCM at night but again, when I remember or am not sleepy which is rare. I've begun making myself a weekly batch of vitamin C serum which helps with the old marks but only when I remember. Mostly benign neglect has been what's helped get rid of what I used to spend hours on improving.

ooooh...can I ask for your serum recipe if you don't mind sharing? :loveeyes:

m448
07-12-2009, 04:20 PM
no problem - it's a recipe I found on the blog referenced and I love passing it on since I don't do any type of business.

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/06/vitamin-c-serum-and-thank-you.html

At the bottom and like I mentioned in the recipe I used to make it completely without glycerin but when I started adding the glycerin I reduced it drastically from the original quantity since I found it a bit sticky at the full amount. You can definitely make it with 2 tsp of water plus the ascorbic acid it will just be a bit more fluid.

brittone2
07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
no problem - it's a recipe I found on the blog referenced and I love passing it on since I don't do any type of business.

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/06/vitamin-c-serum-and-thank-you.html

At the bottom and like I mentioned in the recipe I used to make it completely without glycerin but when I started adding the glycerin I reduced it drastically from the original quantity since I found it a bit sticky at the full amount. You can definitely make it with 2 tsp of water plus the ascorbic acid it will just be a bit more fluid.

You rock. Thanks for sharing. I would like to try this :)
:yay:

LBW
07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I've always had really great skin - the kind that people stop to complement me on. It's my one really good feature. I'm sure I can give most of the credit to genetics, but I also never, ever wash my face other than rinsing with water at the sink or in the shower. Whenever I used any kind of cleanser or moisturizer on it, I'd break out, so I stopped a long time ago! So, I'm guessing that your new "wash" routine has helped!

randomkid
07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
So, for those of you who don't wash your face with anything other than water...What do you do if you wear makeup? I have rosacea and have to get my makeup off and get my skin really clean. However, I am open to trying anything new as nothing has worked great for me yet. I try a new product, my skin looks awesome for a week or so, then it goes back to how it was. Seems my skin "adjusts" to the new stuff and returns to it's original ickiness. I always wear makeup to work and I am really not willing to go without it as I feel I need to look more professional than I would without it.

brittone2
07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm not a water only girl, but the oil cleansing method will remove all makeup (eye makeup, foundation, etc.). Not sure how it works for those who only use water though.

m448
07-12-2009, 06:49 PM
that's where the OCM steps in beautifully. My grandmother was known for her movie star smooth skin and the only thing she ever used on her face for cleaning was ponds cold cream.

The OCM works on the same principle - it's an oil cleanser. So everything I wear (mineral foundation, conventional blush, mascara, eyeshadow and liner) are dissolved away instantly by the oil vs. several washes and agitation with cleanser.

I'll admit to being a makeup junkie before kids and I've realized that all those gloppy foundations were doing a number on my skin (and that's to say bobbi brown, MAC, lancome, smashbox, etc.)