PDA

View Full Version : Advice from dog owners (esp those with rescues)

toby
07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
We are getting a rescue dog at the end of the month. It has been years since I have had a dog, and I have never gotten one from a rescue. She is a 40 lb mix with some yellow lab with her; 12-18 months; probably tied up outside her whole life; eager to please/loving/gentle; submissive when meeting new people.

1) Crate or no?
I don't think that she is house broken so I was going to have her in a crate at night and during the day while we are gone (for the first few months I was going to try to keep this to 3 hours max) The owner of the rescue, who seems very knowledgeable, thought that the transition from a kennel to a crate would be fine. However, I then talked to a local trainer who I respect and she said that she has seen a lot of kennel dogs who have really had problems going into the crate (anxiety, gnawing on the bars etc). She said that she would just have her confined in an area (such as our kitchen) while we are gone and to have her sleep on a dog bed in our bedroom at night. I realize that this might depend on the particular dog, but am conflicted about what to do...

2) Treats
What treats have you liked especially for training purposes? (something smallish and not messy that I can have in my pocket)

3) Brush
What brush is best for a coat that looks similar to a yellow lab's? Has anyone heard of the "Furminator"? (what a name!) Reviews are very positive.

http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Medium-Yellow-Deshedding-3-Inch/dp/B000FSFNVI

4) Spray/dry shampoo
I would like to wait to give her a real bath and was thinking that I could use some spray or dry shampoo to get the kennel smell off of her. Any recommendations?

5) We will have her trained on the Invisible Fence but will wait a few months so she can settle in. I am wondering how we can play with her in the yard without letting her off leash (she loves to chase balls). Do you think having a long training lead would work...a light rope from Lowe's...?

Thanks for your help!

JBaxter
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Rada used to run a rescue I will email her your post. I dont know if she is home this afternoon :)

sunshine873
07-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the soon to be new member of your family!

We have 2 black labs who are just the best dogs. One was a rescue dog that we got at 8 months old. It sounds like you are on the right track...here are my recommendations/answers to your questions.

#1 - Crate train - definitely. It is not cruel, it allows you to focus on positive reinforcement when you are able to watch them, as opposed to dealing with problems after the fact. Then when you're not able to watch them, they are in their own little secure area. I think that local trainer is giving you bad advice. If you have a dog that is going to chew on the bars of the crate...what are they going to do to your kitchen cabinets if you gate them in there?

#2 - Treats - I know a lot of people that over-feed their dogs, and that leads to a lot of problems down the line. We have found that the best thing to do for training treats is to use their food (small pieces and their systems are used to it.) If they're gaining weight, you can even measure it out and reduce their feedings by that much.

#3 - The furminator rocks! We have joked that the company should be paying us royalties because we have recommended it to everyone we know. It's pricey, but it's a lot cheaper to just buy the furminator from the start as opposed to spending $$ trying out a bunch of 2nd rate combs/brushes.

#4 - No recommendation here. We wash our dogs 1 - 2 times a month with an oatmeal shampoo. They get wet down about 4-5 times a week with a hose when we're playing outside, which seems to help keep out the extra gritty dirt. :)

#5 - If she really loves chasing balls, you may find that she's OK not being on a lead as long as you're playing. Ours are so focused on fetch, nothing will take them away from us and the game. I'd recommend a chuck-it. It's a long, plastic handle that clamps onto the tennis ball so you don't have to touch the slobbery thing with your hands. It's a god-send! :)

Good luck!

swrc00
07-12-2009, 03:13 PM
We have two rescue dogs and they are both wonderful. One of ours is a yellow lab mix.
1) Crate or no?
Yes, to the crate. Both of ours stayed in the crate at night and while we are gone. After they had been with us for a year we started leaving them out of the crate during the day. One of ours was very successful the other preferred his crate and actually after being with us for four years is no longer crated during the day. The first night is a little like adjusting to a newborn baby but it is well worth it.

2) Treats
What treats have you liked especially for training purposes? (something smallish and not messy that I can have in my pocket)
Pet Smart has ones that are labeled training treats that come in a can kinda of like Gerber Puffs but much smaller. They are tiny pork chop shapes. They worked well with both dogs.

3) Brush?
I would love to hear the response from others. Last year we started getting our lab mix shaved at the beginning of the summer. It is the only thing that tames the hair and seems to keep him cool.

4) Spray/dry shampoo
I would honestly just give her a bath.

Good Luck and I am so happy that you chose to rescue her. :bighand:
Have you picked out a name?

Momof3Labs
07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
1) ITA that the local trainer is giving you bad advice. You absolutely should plan to crate the dog. If she has separation anxiety and tries to escape the crate, she'll probably do similar damage if confined anywhere in your house.

2) Yes, pieces of the dog's food. Or sliced up baby carrots, bits of hot dog, bits of cheese. Also consider clicker training, which does not involve food rewards at all.

3) Love the Furminator. We use that along with a Zoom Groom for our greyhound/golden retriever mix (who has a coat much like a yellow Lab).

4) We don't bathe our dog regularly as she really doesn't need it. When I had a dog that I bathed every few months, I went to a bathe-them-yourself place. They provided the shampoo, elevated tub with water, gown for me, towels, etc. It was wonderful because all the mess stayed behind.

5) I would start fence training right away and not wait a few months (there are no advantages to waiting, IMO - giving her the run of the yard will help her settle in faster). You don't know if she has escape artist tendencies (many rescues do, especially the former strays); one accidental escape out the door could be her end. Until she is trained to the fence, I would exercise her in a neighbor's fenced-in yard, a nearby dog park or even a nearby fenced tennis court (not all are dog friendly). I've done the fetch-on-a-rope thing and it doesn't work as well as you might think. The ball goes too far and the rope isn't long enough, the rope slips out of your grip, etc.

Radosti
07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Yup, I ran a rescue for years. Most of my fosters were dogs that have never been indoors except at the shelter I pulled them from. They all adjusted to the crate. What kind of a trainer would tell you not to crate a newly arrived dog???

The first day at my house, every dog got bathed. The crud I've washed off them, I would never hesitate. After they were dried, they got their dose of Frontline Plus and Heartgard Plus, as well as a wide-spectrum dewormer. Then, they were welcome in my house.

The furminator is a favorite of mine. We use it on our cats and dogs. With a lab mix, it's a blessing.

Start training her to know her territory immediately, with the invisible fence. I hate those things and have honestly never placed a dog with someone using it. Too many of my fosters came to me with the telltale holes in their neck where the collar shorted out and burned right through the skin. Also, one of my neighbors once rushed over to me with some nasty animal bites on her dog's neck... which turned out to be the burns of the invisible fence collar. I hate those fences. But if you will be using one, start the dog off on the right foot by teaching it its territory right away.

For treats, I am not quite sure. I rotate through brands often, as long as they are good quality, I don't pay too much attention to what the dogs get. Food on the other hand, should be one of good quality. Organic is best as it is guaranteed not to contain some of the nasty animal by-product crap you'd find in conventional foods.

And yes, the tennis ball flinger thingie is a must with a lab. I've thrown more balls with that thing than I could count.

newg
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
We have two rescued greyhounds, have been a foster parent to one and before DD I was really involved with the local rescue group.....

1) I used crate training in the beginning with our two girls.....but the boy I fostered was absolutely terrified of being crated because that was part of his abuse in his former home....he would poop in the crate so I tried just confining him and he chewed through the gate...but when I just left him out in the house with our girls he was fine..........now I don't think you'll have this extreme of a problem.........
But just keep an open mind with the crate......try it out....see how the dog reacts to it....if it's not working, try something else......For my one grey it was her safe spot..she went there to hide and loved being in there (in fact she'd probably run right in it now if I got it out of the garage)...my other girl tolerated it, but was much happier outside..so as soon as she proved she could last without potty mistakes we took the crate away.......

2) I used mini liver treats...the come in a box that is brown and looks like a lunch milk carton........very strong smell that the girls loved and probably would do back flips for.

3) We use a rubber mit for the girls....I haven't seen it in a pet store, but get it through our local greyhound group......put the mit on like an oven mit and it has rubber nubbies on it...brush the girls and the hair comes right off them and it's easy to take right off the mit....there is probably something similar at the petstore..

4) We give our girls a bath maybe two-three times a year.......your new girl may love a bath outside on a nice warm day...get your kids in some bathing suits...put the leash on her in case she is a little skittish...turn the water on very slowly to make sure you don't scare her and do lots of massaging with the water and soap....make it fun and happy.....maybe even see if she'll like a small baby pool..(the blue, hard plastic kind)..our girls love the baby pool in the back yard....in fact they have one and DD has one!
5) I would be really hesitant to let her off leash with no fencing of any kind until you know her personality and she knows/trusts you......you don't want her getting scared of something and running....and not being familiar with her new home and owners and surroundings.........maybe try a long leash (but be careful, since you said she's be on a leash outside her whole life; you don't know if she has any issues with it).............or is there a dog park or even some tennis courts where you could let her off leash and play with her??

Rescued greyhounds are all crate/kennel trained...We suggest to new owners to take a few days off so the dog has a chance to really bond with the entire family.......to help the dog make the transition from not going potty in the crate to not going potty in the house (they figure out the house is their new "crate") take her out a lot more than you need to the first few days....make a big deal about her going outside on the grass.....if she make a mess inside...scold her gently, but firmly.....slowly increase the amount of time inbetween going outside for potty and she should figure it out...

You want to take it slow when leaving the house too......start with a short walk or something.....then maybe a quick errand trip.....and work up to the amount of time you would need her to be able to hold it.....

As long as you have lots of love and patience for your new girl she should do great!!!
Good luck!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I ADORE my Furminator... We have rescue mutts and love it. Our puppies were 3 months when we got them, and their mom was rescued while pregnant, so no other help..

toby
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Have you picked out a name?

The rescue owner named her...Janet!!! Hmmm... I told DS (4.5) that he could pick out a name and he decided on Sally (not my first choice in dog names, but I can live with it!) He said that he thought of it because of the song "There goes Sally walking down the alley..."

The reason why I was going to wait on the Invisible Fence was that I didn't want to traumatize her before she gets to know us and knows that this is her home. Maybe I shouldn't wait?

The Furminator is now on my list of things to buy!

Thanks for your help :)

amldaley
07-12-2009, 05:19 PM
1) Crate or no?
I don't think that she is house broken so I was going to have her in a crate at night and during the day while we are gone (for the first few months I was going to try to keep this to 3 hours max) The owner of the rescue, who seems very knowledgeable, thought that the transition from a kennel to a crate would be fine. However, I then talked to a local trainer who I respect and she said that she has seen a lot of kennel dogs who have really had problems going into the crate (anxiety, gnawing on the bars etc). She said that she would just have her confined in an area (such as our kitchen) while we are gone and to have her sleep on a dog bed in our bedroom at night. I realize that this might depend on the particular dog, but am conflicted about what to do...

Crating has to be a decision based on your lifestyle, and on the dogs capability to learn it and love it. We had one dog who felt crating was torture (ACD) and another who loved his crate (Lab)....it was his cave, his safe place. We kept his crate in our bedroom. I would try with crate training and see how it goes. At 12-18 mos, this dog is still young enough to be trained. If it doesn't work, the kitchen is always there. But it is hard to crate train after the dog has gotten used to the house already etc.

2) Treats

We used MarroBone treats by Pedigree from the grocery store. I cut them in half for training.

3) Brush
What brush is best for a coat that looks similar to a yellow lab's? Has anyone heard of the "Furminator"? (what a name!) Reviews are very positive.

http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Medium-Yellow-Deshedding-3-Inch/dp/B000FSFNVI

We love the Furminator! We also used a tool from Petsmart that is a metal loop with a serrated tooth edge and a handle. It is more gentle than the Furminator and cheaper. We alternated between the two.

4) Spray/dry shampoo
I would like to wait to give her a real bath and was thinking that I could use some spray or dry shampoo to get the kennel smell off of her. Any recommendations?

We liked Buddy Wash.

5) We will have her trained on the Invisible Fence but will wait a few months so she can settle in. I am wondering how we can play with her in the yard without letting her off leash (she loves to chase balls). Do you think having a long training lead would work...a light rope from Lowe's...?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you can have her on a run (an overhead line like a clothes line with a line that comes down and clips to the collar) or on a staked line, with a stake in the ground and a rope or line coming from it. Be sure to set it up to avoid potential hazard for tangles around trees etc.

P.S.

CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to adopt!!!!! We have an over-population of pets in this country. I hope you have many wonderful years with your new friend.

P.P.S.
I highly recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul brand dog food.

toby
07-12-2009, 06:57 PM
All of this info is really helpful- thanks!

Two other things:
The rescue person says that she has been using Vectra 3D for fleas and ticks because she wasn't having luck with Frontline. We do have a lot of ticks here. What are other people using?

I got an LL Bean dog bed but am kind of regretting spending the money (I could send it back for $6.50). My sister says that it is worth the money since it will last for the long haul.

mytwosons
07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
We had an abused and neglected dog (the two prior owners). Crate *training* him was one of the best things we did. It became his cave and safe haven. But, he wanted nothing to do with it at first. We set up the crate right away - up against a wall, so no one could surprise him. Left the door open and just let it sit. He was very destructive, so we had to put him in the crate before I had planned. I sat right next to the crate and comforted him the first time he was in there. I would start with 5 minutes and extend the time. Pretty soon, he should want to go in the crate to rest, etc.

Treats: our guy only liked small, chewy treats. We used them in the beginning and then just used praise.

We first tried an electric fence, but tested it on us first. No way would we put that on a dog. Yes, it was installed and paid for and we never used it; that's how bad we thought it was. Plus, an electric fence won't keep out other dogs. If you are allowed to put up a fence, it will be the best money you'll spend.

Never play fetch while they are on a lead. My DH accidentally threw the ball too far and the dog didn't stop...I can still picture him being jerked back and am amazed he didn't snap his neck.

An obediance class really helped our guy...he used to have panic attackes all the time and they stopped once he had some confidence.

Congratulations! Rescues love like no other...

Momof3Labs
07-12-2009, 07:44 PM
LL Bean dog beds are nice but some dogs will destroy them. I'd hold off on introducing it (Costco usually has dog beds for under $20 that you can use to test how destructive she is, or an old blanket or comforter will work, too).

Clarity
07-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Microwaved hotdogs make great treats. And the liver BilJac ones that the pp mentioned. I used them both when clicker training and running agility with one of my dogs.

And, to teach my dog yard boundaries when we moved I had a long training lead and a 50ft length of rope that I let him drag it around while we played. Just make sure she's supervised so she doesn't get caught up in something. Worked great for us and really helped us reinforce the "come" command.

o_mom
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
The reason why I was going to wait on the Invisible Fence was that I didn't want to traumatize her before she gets to know us and knows that this is her home. Maybe I shouldn't wait?

I just wanted to add that if used properly, an Invisible Fence should not be traumatizing. It is about training them to hear the warning signal and stop, not about the correction shock. There are many dogs that never need to feel the shock, though some do. It should not be traumatizing, though, a single correction is all it took for our two labs to learn.

We :heartbeat: our Furminator as well. :)

newg
07-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Does the dog bed have the same life time guarantee as the rest of their products...?? If so, I say...why not...if the dog messes it up..send it back......we have gotten our beds from either costco or currently, Bass Pro shop.....
If you sew..my mom use to make them using foam egg crate and denim or some other tough fabric...and just made a giant pillow!

I agree with pp about not tying the dog to something if you're going to play fetch with her.......a very long "leash", like a boat rope or something...so she can run around and you have a very long roap to grab if she gets too far away......my parents did that with their puppies and it worked very well.....just make sure to pick a bright color so it doesn't get lost in the grass!!
There are pros and cons to both regular fencing and invisible fences.....can you have a few companies come out...maybe test out the collars yourself to see what you think?
My dad used a shock collar on his hunting dogs..but he never made it any more of a buzz than he could handle........Even my sister and I put it on our hands to see how bad it was.......it was more of a "surprise" to shake them out what they were trying to do........for some dogs thats what you need..for others...it won't work.....
Different companies have different set ups for invisible fencing too...
Have Fun with your new family member!!

lizajane
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
All of this info is really helpful- thanks!

Two other things:
The rescue person says that she has been using Vectra 3D for fleas and ticks because she wasn't having luck with Frontline. We do have a lot of ticks here. What are other people using?

I got an LL Bean dog bed but am kind of regretting spending the money (I could send it back for $6.50). My sister says that it is worth the money since it will last for the long haul.

LLbean dog beds are awesome. and if it gets messed up, they will replace it. my dogs LOVE their beds. love them.

we use sentinel. it guards against fleas, ticks and heartworm all in one. it is a pill.

jacksmomtobe
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Crate Training- I would see how your dog reacts to it. With our dog she had her crate and when we left the house we also had a 2 metal playpen like device that you could put in different configurations around her crate so that we could keep her in the dining room kitchen but give her some freedom without worrying. We never shut the door on her because she was trained when I was going to be out of the house working for the day. At almost 8 it is still her hideaway if she needs a break or just wants to relax she goes in there. It's a nice way to give dogs their own space esp with kids (though my kids have been know to try to join her in the crate on occaision...luckily she is a go with the flow lab)

Invisible Fence - I am not a big fan of this. I would worry about other dogs coming in and also I would wonder about training the dog after what your rescue dog may have gone through. So my vote would be for a real fence however I understand that isn't always feasible. I would probably work on gaining your dogs trust first & see how they are with the "come" command to determine when you need to put one in. I've seen people work on "come" with a long leash or rope.

LL Bean Beds are great and LL Bean is great about replacing them if you have a problem. DD (Darling Dog) has 2. On her original one there ended up being a hole in the cover and they sent out a new cover even though the orig bed cover was years old. Overall they have held up well.

We use advantix for ticks. Our Vet recommended it because we often take DDog to Nantucket where ticks and lyme are a big issue. He said it worked better than Frontline. Though I would love to hear about Sentinel since I get paranoid about using the liquid and end up banishing DDog until I can bath her after treatment.

Good Luck with your dog!

swrc00
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
LL Bean dog beds are nice but some dogs will destroy them. I'd hold off on introducing it (Costco usually has dog beds for under $20 that you can use to test how destructive she is, or an old blanket or comforter will work, too).

The Costco beds are great! They have held up with both of our dogs. The one downside to them is one of our dogs likes to scratch to make a comfy place on the bed and he has snagged the bed in quite a few places. We just keep his nails trimmed. For the price it is a great deal!