PDA

View Full Version : Leap Frog Tag - do you/DC like it?

alien_host
07-12-2009, 03:05 PM
After seeing all those folks scoring TAGs at Kmart for cheap, I'm wondering if people really like it. Is a good product? Is it annoying that you have to buy special books for it?

Would you buy it again?

I'm keeping it on the radar for other clearance sales and am wondering if it's worth getting.

hillview
07-12-2009, 06:52 PM
DS is nearly 4 and doesn't really care for it. It will hold his attention on a plane for about 10 mins.
/hillary

BeachBum
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
My guy is nearly 4 and he doesn't like it either.

KrisM
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
DS1 got it for his 5th birthday and likes it okay. DD is 3 and she really likes it a lot. I'm not sure if it's an age thing or a girl-boy thing.

ellies mom
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
My husband was obsessed with getting it for Ellie but she doesn't really play with it. Whenever we ask if she wants a new book, she says no.

gordo
07-12-2009, 09:25 PM
My DD got it for her 3rd bday and LOVES it (she is now 4 and the love has not worn off!)! It is honestly the only thing in our house that she plays with EVERY day. She will set for a good hour on her own with her TAG reader.

ohiomom1121
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Both of my kids have it and really like it. They don't play with it everyday, but definitely a lot. Rotating in new books definitely helps keep them interested. (The readers only hold about 5 books at a time) I guess there are new ones that hold more but I can't see replacing the ones we have.

Neatfreak
07-13-2009, 11:43 PM
DD1 received it for Christmas (she was 4.5 years) and really likes it. It gets played with several times a week, and is always the first thing she packs when we go out of town. She really likes using it with the Nat Geo animals cards ...

lilhilly
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
DS got it for Hanukkah (he was then just shy of 3.5 y/o) and was only marginally interested. He had not played with it in months, when I got him 2 new books from the Kmart clearance sale. He has hardly put it down since (he will be 4 on Sunday). I think the difference is that he can read a little bit now, whereas six months ago, he could not. The books that have reading activities in them are much more enjoyable for him as a result. (For example, one of the new books has a game where you have to "shoot baskets" by touching the words on the page that the pen calls out -- he loves that.)

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely get the one from leapfrog's website that is intended for educators and stores way more books. Once you have more than 5, it's hard for the kid to understand that he can only use the pen with certain books unless Mommy hooks the pen up to the computer and makes some changes :-)