PDA

View Full Version : Do All Dog Rescues Hate Kids?

kransden
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
We are getting a small dog. Everyone suggests we go to the pound or rescue groups. (My favorite dog was dumped on our farm, so I am not a snob.) The pound hasn't had what we are looking for. Most rescue groups will not place a small dog with kids. So stop telling me to go to a rescue group!!!!

Thank You.

Momof3Labs
07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Many rescue groups do have age minimums on the kids, but most I know will adopt to families with kids over 5yo.

Have you tried looking on petfinder.com? That has given me leads on the kid rules that different groups have since it is usually in the dog description. We adopted our last dog two years ago through an ad on craigslist - she was being surrendered by a divorcing family who had two young boys almost exactly the age of our boys. She has really been the ideal dog for us!!

Don't give up, and please don't let the attitudes of some taint you against all rescue groups!!

ETA: I just did a search on petfinder for small dogs in the Phoenix area and a whole bunch came up that weren't marked "no kids". I think that you just haven't found the right group yet. Good luck!

kransden
07-12-2009, 06:17 PM
If I wasn't looking for a specific dog, petfinder would be great. The dog must be female, small, etc. So after I sift through the available dogs, you are left with the rescue groups. It seems everytime I find an ideal dog, it has a no kids problem. It is so frustratiing. The dogs I want at the pound are usually gone by the time they get posted on the web. The guy at the pound has super helpful though. I am just not sure I have the fortitude to visit the pound everyday.

If we wanted a boy, I'ld have 10 dogs by now - sigh.

I'll check Craigslist though.

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I know the lab rescue group we used to assist with definitely DID place into homes with little kids.

JBaxter
07-12-2009, 06:44 PM
My friend ran into that with a cat rescue. They found a older kitten fill out the paper work waited and waited with a 5 1/2 and a 2 1/2 yr old visiting 3x a week. They got a form letter telling them they wernt approved 4 weeks later. THAT day they went to the pound and did fine "Bolt" and had him home in 3 days. They went buy a fews after and the original kitty was STILL there ( like 2 months later)

Snow mom
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
How small a dog are you looking for? I have to admit the rescue I work with won't place any of the tiny breeds with small kids. They just typically don't work in terms of temperament and being fragile. Sometimes you can get the rules bent a bit-- it depends on the organization and the specifics of the situation. I'm sure it's frustrating, but rescues really do have the best interests of their dogs at heart. If you keep hearing from different groups that the chosen breed is not appropriate for small children, I'd recommend seriously reconsidering your choice rather than getting that breed elsewhere.

Momof3Labs
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
The more specific you are about what you want, the longer it will take to find it through a pound/rescue. Have you put in any applications with groups that will adopt to families with kids? Some groups take applications even if they don't have a dog that meets your criteria, and contact you when that dog comes into rescue. For example, if some groups already have waiting lists of approved applicants for small, female dogs that are good with young kids, it will be tougher for you to find one of those dogs by just searching websites and such.

R2sweetboys
07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
If I wasn't looking for a specific dog, petfinder would be great. The dog must be female, small, etc. So after I sift through the available dogs, you are left with the rescue groups. It seems everytime I find an ideal dog, it has a no kids problem. It is so frustratiing. The dogs I want at the pound are usually gone by the time they get posted on the web. The guy at the pound has super helpful though. I am just not sure I have the fortitude to visit the pound everyday.

If we wanted a boy, I'ld have 10 dogs by now - sigh.

I'll check Craigslist though.

I'm honestly curious why the dog must be a female?? Many people equate female with less aggressive/active/etc. As far as I'm aware, and through my personal experience, males can overall be easier. We have our first female dog(along w/a male) and while she is wonderful and we adore her, she's more work than our male. She's sweet, but tends to be more "bitchy";) with other females and some alpha male dogs. The rescue woman who we got her from last year(our boys were 5 & 7), who has tons of experience, even stated that females do have more of a tendency to "argue",etc. I'm not at all saying that you can't find a wonderful female, but you really should be looking at overall personality rather than the sex of the dog. You could be missing out big time on a sweet male dog. Good luck to you!! A dog can be such a wonderful addition to the family. We've adopted two in the past year and can't imagine life w/out them now. :love5:

twowhat?
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with PPs...if you are going to adopt a dog, gender does not matter (unless you already have a dog at home, then often adding a new dog of the opposite gender is helpful). I understand you have a size requirement which is totally understandable, but the most important thing in terms of adding a dog to a family with children is the dog's temperament. Really tiny dogs typically don't do well in families with young children. And to tell you the truth - tiny dogs are often a lot of work because of the breed (toy dogs, chihuahuas, etc have a LOT of energy). If you want a small dog because of space limitations, a calm dog is often a better judge of living comfortably in small quarters than the size of the dog.

I'll tell you a funny story - we tried to adopt a rescued greyhound from a rescue I shall leave unnamed. They WOULD NOT adopt a dog to us because 1) we both worked outside the home and 2) we had NO KIDS. Are you kidding? So...we adopted TWO medium/large mutts from a lesser known shelter and now we have infant twins. Both dogs are fantastic with children and are well-loved....so phooey on you, greyhound rescue!!

Anyway, please be patient and the right dog WILL come along!! Good luck!

jillc
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi! Frustrating!

You're in the Phx area? Me, too! I think I might be able to help. Try the Arizona Animal Welfare League and SPCA. They're located quite near the airport. Check out their website to see pictures and info about their adoptable dogs. www.aawl.org.

We adopted a medium sized dog there recently, and the entire experience was wonderful. It is truly a great place. They rescue the "most adoptable" dogs from the county shelters and hold them for about 10 days while doing behavior analysis, spay/neuter, etc. Then they're made adoptable. I'm not aware of any restrictions related to size of dogs & kids. Not all of the dogs are on the website. We found our dog there right before her info was placed online. We spent about two hours there in a yard with our dog before adopting her. It was great to be able to take that time to really get to know her. It is so much tougher at the county shelters.

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Radosti
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
We are getting a small dog. Everyone suggests we go to the pound or rescue groups. (My favorite dog was dumped on our farm, so I am not a snob.) The pound hasn't had what we are looking for. Most rescue groups will not place a small dog with kids. So stop telling me to go to a rescue group!!!!

Thank You.

That's not a very nice way to talk about rescues. We don't get paid for what we do and we deal in statistics every day. No, I will not place a small, scaredy dog with a family with small kids. Yes, I will place cats/kittens/"family type" dogs into those households. I also take into consideration the dog's temperament and the "feeling" I get from the family to make the right match.

I had a family come to look at a collie/lab mix. They had 3 rambunctious boys. The pup was terrified of them. The mom LOVED her. I evaluated the situation, brought out a JR/Aussie mix pup and introduced him. He and the boys were PERFECT together. I told the mom right off the bat, you are approved for this puppy and not that puppy. She asked me why. I outlined my gut feeling and my observation. Told her the pup she wanted would not fit in. She and her hubby conferred and adopted the JR mix.

They called me several months later thanking me for matching them with the perfect dog. This scenario has replayed itself many times, with the same results. My point being that sometimes an experienced rescuer knows better than the family which individual dog in a rescue will fit into that family. I am not trying to bait and switch, I am trying to ensure that I find each dog a PERMANENT home. If that means refusing to adopt a certain dog into a certain family, so be it.

As a rule of thumb, small dogs and small kids do not mix. I've made exceptions, but only if the kids and that particular small dog click. I myself have 3 small dogs with my small kids. It works. But that's not the norm.

kransden
07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I live in Phoenix, the land of chihuahuas and mixes. I must know 20 kids that have them, and they are sucessful members of their families. These are not the weird old lady dogs of the mid-west, they are family dogs. My dd is extremely gentle with animals. I can go buy one for 150 -300 dollars in minutes. The price at the pound/ rescue is about the same. I live really close to the Humane Society. What I want is popular so the pound is always out, and that leaves rescue orgs. I am more than willing to let them test the dog with dd. If it didn't work out I understand. I still have a 16 yr old cat so I want a member of the family not something disposable.

Maybe my attitude isn't the best at the moment, but it is the Bitching Post after all ;) I am upset by the attitude the rescuers. My child is not a spawn from Hell, well not with animals lol! I am a SAHM and substitute teacher. I think I'll have the time/money/supervision for a dog. I understand they want the best possible home for their animal, but don't dismiss me out of hand because I have a child. that's is what makes me mad.

As for why I want a small female dog. Small to go on airplane flights - in cabin once a year.
Female - I hesitate to answer because it is so silly. Because she'll have cute clothes to wear. I have a friend that makes little dog clothes. http://littledogfashion.com/Default.aspx

newg
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I understand wanting a female dog....I have two...I grew up with female dogs..it's just what I'm comfortable with.......so biased yes...but I know what to expect from a female dog.......
I agree with what a pp said about hooking up with a rescue group and getting to know them, telling them what you want...and then maybe just waiting for them to find you the right dog....it may take a bit longer, but it would possibly mean a better fit for your family; rather than trying to make a dog fit into the family......
People who work in rescue groups/organizations are a passionate group of people.....you have to be to volunteer your time for a cause that does not stop.....
I became involved in grehound rescue 8yrs ago when I got my first grey......it is heart wrenching to hear the stories of how unwanted greys are "disposed" of.......so once you rescue a dog..clean it up..get it healthy......you want to find the best possible home for it.....its "forever" home....so sometimes that means turning people away...
But, even rescuers are human and make mistakes!!! I was turned away the first time.............so you may have to prove a little bit your family and children will be the best fit for the dog you want!!!
Don't give up and good luck!!

R2sweetboys
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
As for why I want a small female dog. Small to go on airplane flights - in cabin once a year.
Female - I hesitate to answer because it is so silly. Because she'll have cute clothes to wear. I have a friend that makes little dog clothes. http://littledogfashion.com/Default.aspx
I know you hesitated to post it, but please don't base your choice of dog on cute doggy clothes. I'm pretty sure most dogs don't want to wear clothing, especially in the hotter than heck parts of the country like Phoenix. Also, if your size requirement is mainly based on the need to fly once a year, I would look at overall temperament first. If the dog is too big to fly, it is really o.k. to board him/her while you're gone. There are some wonderful boarding facilities out there. I know that it's a huge undertaking to adopt a dog, but try to keep an open mind and I'm sure that you'll find the right dog for your family.

Radosti
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Now see, that would turn me right off adopting to you. The two female chi's I've had as fosters would not have been caught dead in clothing. They ripped it all off the moment they got a chance. And I wasn't putting clothing on them for cuteness, I was trying to keep them warm! In the Philly winter!!! They were cute and sweet, but not "kid" oriented.

Another female chi I got was such a hard dog to work with that I had to transfer her to a small dog rescue that had a sanctuary for these types of dogs. I got a collar on her and then she would not let me take it off without trying to take my hand off.

Then, I've had two males. Both got placed with families with kids. Not super young kids, more like 7 and up. Both NEEDED clothing to feel safe/warm/happy. One shook so much while here, that I had to go spend $20 on a polar fleece coat for him to wear at all times!!! And my house was not a freezer by any means. He also insisted on being an accessory dog to the point that he was always clutched in either my or my husband's armpit. My husband took to telling people that this was a foster dog as people kept giving him weird glances at this huge guy clutching a tiny dog.

kransden
07-15-2009, 01:30 AM
You guys are really going overboard on this. That is why I hesitated to say anything. My friend makes clothes, if we ever dress the dog, dd wants to her to wear dresses. It is not that big of a deal. She doesn't want a boy dog wearing pink though I gave her the option. All my cats wore collars. The new cat can't stand it, so he doesn't have one. Your making far too much of it. Clothing isn't something I have even told the rescue people. We never got that far. Just the fact I had a dd was the end of the conversation. But all of this is a moot point. I talked to one of my cat rescue friends (yes cat lol!) and she hooked me up with a fof. I now have a very sweet puppy who is sleeping on my lap, that is perfect for us. Except for the 5am wake up call. It's hard to hold it when your bladder is the size of a grape;) On the other hand dd never slept more than 4 hours at a stretch either. I'll take the 10 to 5!

Snow mom
07-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I talked to one of my cat rescue friends (yes cat lol!) and she hooked me up with a fof. I now have a very sweet puppy who is sleeping on my lap, that is perfect for us. Except for the 5am wake up call. It's hard to hold it when your bladder is the size of a grape;) On the other hand dd never slept more than 4 hours at a stretch either. I'll take the 10 to 5!

What's a fof? Glad you found a pup that will work for your family. I'm sure your DD must be over the moon.

kransden
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
What's a fof? Glad you found a pup that will work for your family. I'm sure your DD must be over the moon.

Oops I meant foaf = Friend of a Friend

Well dd loves her, but I love her more :heartbeat:!
I better go get those clothes - ha ha just kidding ;). We did get a pink collar though.

newg
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
congrats on your new pup!!

Snow mom
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Oops I meant foaf = Friend of a Friend

Well dd loves her, but I love her more :heartbeat:!
I better go get those clothes - ha ha just kidding ;). We did get a pink collar though.

Oh, I don't think I would have gotten that abbreviation anyway ;) So did you get a chi pup? I figured there would be a way around the no kids rule. Typically everyone is doing their best to find great homes, but sometimes black and white rules don't work out perfectly.

Actually, I'd say if you want her to wear an outfit you are better off getting her used to it now. If she hates it then you shouldn't do it but I think it's fine if she doesn't mind... I've even been known to dress my dogs (who are much to large to dress.) Some dogs really like wearing little outfits and strut around in them. Just make sure your DD understands the dog is a living thing and not a doll.

kransden
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
I didn't get her from a rescue, I got her from the FOAF. Not a chi, but a ball of fur. DD is excellent with her. She fed the toothless cat 'stinky wet cat food' every morning for over 6 months to earn the right to get a dog. She also disposes of the dog doots. That was our deal.

bubbaray
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Congrats on your new puppy! :)

gatorsmom
07-16-2009, 12:46 AM
My point being that sometimes an experienced rescuer knows better than the family which individual dog in a rescue will fit into that family.

I haven't had a dog for a long time and have no experience with this subject. I just wanted to say that, Rada, from several years of reading your posts, I can't imagine that there are too many rescuers who have the incredible talent you have of understanding animals. Truly, I think you are uniquely gifted in that area. :bowdown:

kransden
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I haven't had a dog for a long time and have no experience with this subject. I just wanted to say that, Rada, from several years of reading your posts, I can't imagine that there are too many rescuers who have the incredible talent you have of understanding animals. Truly, I think you are uniquely gifted in that area. :bowdown:
:yeahthat:

Snow mom
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Now I'm going completely OT but I saw a news story a while back about a shelter (maybe in CO????) where they have trainers that put all the dogs through a series of tests and then assign them a color code based on the results. Then all potential adopters complete a questionnaire before going into the kennel to look at the dogs and get assigned a corresponding color. I thought it was a pretty amazing system but unfortunately requires a pretty big staff input, which is often in short supply in rescue.