PDA

View Full Version : Powdered formula deaths in preemies (sensitive)

brittone2
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Not sure if this was posted here or not as I was out of town for a few days. I remember a relatively recent discussion on this topic but thought I'd share this tragic story as a reminder of the potential risks of powdered formula to preemies (and yes, it has been discussed here before that unfortunately some parents can't afford alternatives to powdered formula, etc.)

Just sharing so anyone w/ a preemie birth, etc. is aware of the issue.

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=+51358%40wbbm.dayport.com

MamaMolly
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
And just like last time I want to thank you for bringing it to our attention because I had *no* idea, and I consider myself well read about most of this kind of thing.

Melaine
07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I have not heard of this. I stopped watching the video pretty quickly though, when I saw the surviving twin.

I really really hope that I will be able to BF if we have another DC, there is a lot of risks with formula it seems.

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
How sad. I had no idea. I am so clueless about formula. 2 kids, but I've never dealt with it.

swrc00
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I was reading on the package of DS's formula and it states that powdered formula should not be given to preemies or infants with immune problems. I never noticed it before. Has this always been on there or has it been added recently?
The previous thread was around when DS was born 8 months ago. I asked the ped before we left the hospital if DS should be fed ready feed or powder because of reading the thread.

kijip
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I really really hope that I will be able to BF if we have another DC, there is a lot of risks with formula it seems.

It is critical to note that this particular risk is limited to prematurely born infants in the first part of their lives, not to healthy full-term and older infants.

swrc00
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Okay so I forced myself to watch the video. How terrible! It of course answered my question about the advisory on the formula. I do know that the hospital where DS was born only allows ready feed as an option for a formula fed babies. I am guessing it is for this reason.

DrSally
07-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I didn't watch the video, so sad.
Like I've mentioned in previous posts, we had to supplement the first few weeks b/c of bad jaundice (DD was premature). B/c of a family hx of milk allergy, I wanted to give allimentum from the start. They only had powdered avail, so DH went out in the middle of the night to buy liquid alimentum. The nurse asked why I didn't just use the powder and I told her my previous LC said it's safest to use liquid in the first 4 weeks b/c of the risk of contamination in the powder formula. She said she'd vaguely heard something about that.