PDA

View Full Version : Should I put my DD in a booster or harnessed seat?

marit
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I am due in a month and it's time to re-shuffle the carseats.

My DD (6.5 years, about 45 lbs) is about to be moved to the third row of our minivan. Currently she is harnessed in a Britax Frontier (first car) and Regent (second car). My 4 yo son is harnessed in a Recaro Young Sport (first car) and Britax Frontier (second car).

The problem is that the third row of my minivan DOES NOT have either latch or tether. I feel that connecting the Frontier or Regent with belt only is very flimsy. I have a feeling that using my RYS as a booster for her in the third seat would be my best option.

Am I wrong?

bubbaray
07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
What is your vehicle?

At age 6.5, I'd have no problem moving the average child (with no physical or mental delays) to a HBB. You need to do a bit of booster training, but my DD#1 was an excellent booster rider from day 1 (she's 5).

However, my bigger issue would be your vehicle's rear crash test scores. That would concern me more than the booster issue. If I had a vehicle that had less than stellar rear crash test scores, I might put the RFg baby in the infant bucket in the back and keep older FFg children in the 2nd row. Or I'd try to do a 3-across.

JMHO.

marit
07-12-2009, 10:29 PM
My car is Mazda MPV, 2002. I can not put 3 across because I have only 2 seats in third row, and putting baby in a third row sounds too unpractical to me.

I know she'll do fine in a booster, I am just trying to figure out what is the best arrangement, using the carseats I already have.

801kelle
07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I had Regents and now I have Frontiers. Whenever we had to install either of them (the Regent or Frontier).. with a seatbelt; my husband had and has always been able to get a solid install.. You have some good harness seats I wouldn't get something different. And your Frontier converts to a HBB.. I definitely would stick with what you got.

About the tether.. there should be tethers in your 3rd row.. (at least one)it probably is back by the hatch.. it isn't in the same place as 2nd row.. My friend just got a minivan and we were going somewhere and I put my Frontier in her 3rd row.. and she said there weren't tether anchors and I showed her it is below on the back where the hatch door closes... so the tether strap goes across your back cargo area...Look in your book it will show where all your latches and tether anchors are in your entire car!!

littlecindy
07-17-2009, 10:46 PM
we just bought an old minivan (early 90's) and there is not latch, so i'm having to get used to this, too. in fact, i don't even think the seatbelts lock, so i'm going to have to use a clip. that is the main thing...make sure your seatbelt locks. i think most newer cars will be just fine.

mom2binsd
07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I am due in a month and it's time to re-shuffle the carseats.

My DD (6.5 years, about 45 lbs) is about to be moved to the third row of our minivan. Currently she is harnessed in a Britax Frontier (first car) and Regent (second car). My 4 yo son is harnessed in a Recaro Young Sport (first car) and Britax Frontier (second car).

The problem is that the third row of my minivan DOES NOT have either latch or tether. I feel that connecting the Frontier or Regent with belt only is very flimsy. I have a feeling that using my RYS as a booster for her in the third seat would be my best option.

Am I wrong?

A few ideas/questions to add to the mix.

Can you get a tether anchor retrofitted for the third row??? Can you fit 3 across in the 2nd row (is it a bench), if you were to use the seatbelt install you can sometimes fit them together.

I haven't boostered yet, does the Frontier need to be tethered in booster mode? If not, she is age appropriate to use the Frontier as a HBB if needed (I believe the Frontier has to use the top tether in harness mode????)

marit
07-18-2009, 05:12 AM
to answer some questions:

I do not have a bench, 3 across is not an option.

I don't think I can use a tether. I found (thanks to 801kelle) that I do have a tether but only in the middle seat of the third row, where there is no headrest, and also, the way it is made would prevent me from putting a stroller in the trunk (genius design...)

I would not use the Frontier as my booster, rather I would put it in the other car and take my Recaro from my other car to use as a booster in my minivan.

Joolsplus2
07-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Glad you found that third row tether, though ick on the placement!
The RYS makes an *excellent* booster, I'd use it without hesitation for that kiddo. As your kids get older and bigger, I'd also not hesitate to use the FR in booster mode without LATCH... you get used to how boosters wiggle and move compared to installed seats.
To the PP, no, the FR doesn't need to be tethered or LATCHed in booster mode at all, but it is allowed if possible. The RYS can be top tethered but not LATCHed in booster mode, though it doesn't have to be. None of those require a vehicle headrest for proper use, just a lap/shoulderbelt.

801kelle
07-19-2009, 06:31 PM
to answer some questions:

I do not have a bench, 3 across is not an option.

I don't think I can use a tether. I found (thanks to 801kelle) that I do have a tether but only in the middle seat of the third row, where there is no headrest, and also, the way it is made would prevent me from putting a stroller in the trunk (genius design...)

I would not use the Frontier as my booster, rather I would put it in the other car and take my Recaro from my other car to use as a booster in my minivan.

You should have them at the back of your seats in the second row as well.. Sorry I am referring to top tether anchors..