PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with infant

Cherrypi79
07-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Next month I will be flying alone with my DD who will be 3 months at the time. We are flying from NY to Baltimore and then driving back. Our carseat is the Chicco Keyfit.

I don't know if I feel comfortable driving that far and on those roads with her seat strapped in just with the seatbelt. I know it's a safe and approved way, but I just feel a little uneasy about going that far without the base. Should I suck it up and go without the base? With or without the base should I plan to check the seat with my luggage or gate check it?

I was planning on either taking my lightweight stroller or not taking one and just using my Moby or sling. If I gate check the car seat would it be worth it take the Cortina instead so I can click the car seat in? Am I going to survive security with a stroller, car seat, baby, diaper bag, and myself?:dizzy:

ETA--I also have a Marathon that I could take, but I haven't played around with it yet so I'm not sure that I could intall it as quickly as I can the Keyfit.

KrisM
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Are you visiting someone? Could you ship the base to them just before you leave so that it's there for the drive back?

But, it's not hard to install without the base. Practice before you go.

I'd gate check the seat. Potentially, there will be a seat available for you to use, if you ask at the gate. If you can do that, it's a great thing to have the baby in the carseat on the plane. Plus, they're less likely to lose the seat if it's gate checked.

If you don't need the stroller at your destination, I'd do a Moby. Fewer things to worry about.

801kelle
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
You will be fine. I have traveled alot by myself with my DD since she was 6 months old.

I am assuming since you said you are checking the carseat at the gate .. you didn't buy a seat. But you know if there is an empty seat available when you get on the plane you could ask the flight attendent and they can move you and you can take your carseat to put the baby in it. I would take on plane and then if there isn't an empty seat the flight attendent will gate check it for you and take it from you right there from your airplane seat.

What I always have done.. (my DD just turned 6 yo and I have always traveled every plane trip with her carseat and stroller until our last trip this May 2009). SO I have done it ALOT!

I would take my stroller and put car seat in stroller.. Go through security.. when you go through security you put everything through xray...your stuff, babies stuff, car seat and stroller. Stroller you fold up and put through xray. Never had any problems...Then after that I would put everything back in stroller including child and carseat and bags of stuff... and wheel through the airport to the gate. I would always gate check stroller and take carseat on the plane.

Hope this helps.. after a few trips under your belt.. you will get a system down and it becomes like second nature and easy!!! PROMISE.

o_mom
07-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I would gate check the carseat for the reasons PPs mentioned (may be able to use it on the plane, less chance of getting lost, etc.) I would pack the base in your checked luggage. Just use a large suitcase and pack clothes around it. I did this with my Graco SafeSeat and it worked quite well.

doberbrat
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
when I last flew w/my dd, I bought an older pliko on craigslist for $25 and stuck her carseat, diaperbag, toys and food in it. then I wore her in a MT (remove baby's shoes!!) she was able to stay on my back through security and I had 2 hands free to deal w/stuff. then I gatechecked stroller & carseat. I had intended on leaving the stroller at my mom's but it made such a nice luggage cart so to speak that I brought it back.

So, even if you dont really 'need' the stroller you might want to bring it as a luggage cart and place to park baby while you pee before getting onto the plane.

801kelle
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I forgot to mention I only used my stroller at my destinations sometimes.. but always took anyways.. to be able to carry carseat, child and all our bags of stuff for the plane ride!!! Totally worth it in my opinion.. better than dragging carseat through airport and carrying child or when they get old enough dragging carseat and trying to keep them walking next to you holding your hand..

I have seen that scenario in airports millions of times.. parent carrying carseat and diaper bag and another bag and the 2 year old running away and them trying to catch up with them or trying to grab their hand because they wont stay with them..

Using stroller in airport makes for much smoother trips through the airports!!!

jjordan
07-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Definitely use the stroller in the airport! I have had the most success with carrying baby in a sling and loading up everything on the stroller. To go through security, just take your time and don't panic. :) Unload the stuff from the stroller onto the belt, then fold up the stroller and heft it up there, then walk through and load up on the other end. Be sure to wear slip-on shoes.

Gate check the carseat so you can use it on the plane if there is an extra seat for the baby.