PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a netbook

KrisM
07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Does anyone have one they recommend? Or what key features should I look for?

It's not to replace my laptop, but to take with me out of the house or use if one of the kids is on my laptop. I am considering the Toshiba NB205 because it has a 6-cell battery, full-size keyboard, expandable RAM to 2GB, and comes in colors :).

tiapam
07-13-2009, 12:51 AM
We have the Acer Aspire One. I really like it and have been using it a lot. We also considered a Samsung but I couldn't justify the extra cost just to get a pink one. I think DH said the One has a longer battery life than most others. We got ours at costco.com.

jess_g
07-13-2009, 06:58 AM
We have 2 Acer Aspire One netbooks (One for myself and one for my 13 year old daughter). I would defently recemend one. They are great for web surfing and email. The features we like the most are the long battery life. Ours have 6 cell batteries which last about 5 hours. The keyboard is a bit small but I think all netbooks have small keyboards to save space but I can still touch type with it. I would defently recemend one. They are very portable too.

Jessica.

wellyes
07-13-2009, 08:02 AM
The Toshiba sounds great, go for it!

I have the ASUS 1000H. It has all the features you mention except the full-size keyboard and colors options - both of which would have been nice. PLUS I see that the Toshiba has a 160 GB hard drive. Great for humungous iTunes libraries. Drat, now I want one!!!!

KrisM
07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
The Toshiba sounds great, go for it!

I have the ASUS 1000H. It has all the features you mention except the full-size keyboard and colors options - both of which would have been nice. PLUS I see that the Toshiba has a 160 GB hard drive. Great for humungous iTunes libraries. Drat, now I want one!!!!

I do like the big HD. PC Mag's battery test gave it 8.5 hours, which is fabulous. It was about 2 hours longer than the ASUS.

I currently have a Toshiba laptop, and it looks to be the same keyboard and touchpad layout, which would make my life easier.

I'm hoping to look at one IRL today.

alirebco
07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I know there was an article in Consumer Reports not too long ago. I can tell you which one not to get, lol. DH got the Dell one and it was super slow - he gave it to his company and got himself a regular laptop.

Mermanaid
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
In April I bought the pink Samsung. LOVING IT. I def think you should get a 10" screen as the extra size doesn't add too much to the bulk of the unit. Mine has 1GB, 160GB and a six cell battery minimum. One of the biggest reasons I bought it was for the keyboard layout. I had read on Amazon reviews that some of the other units weren't laid out as nicely. The samsung has a 93% keyboard and all the keys are pretty much in the right place.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't come with any of the Microsoft products installed. Luckily I have an IT contact who helped me navigate all of that.

I've seen some great deals on the Dell ones on QVC (my vice). And, when I was buying mine I stalked Slick Deals hoping for something better to come along. But, I really wanted pink ... and of course, paid the price for it!

KrisM
07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
In April I bought the pink Samsung. LOVING IT. I def think you should get a 10" screen as the extra size doesn't add too much to the bulk of the unit. Mine has 1GB, 160GB and a six cell battery minimum. One of the biggest reasons I bought it was for the keyboard layout. I had read on Amazon reviews that some of the other units weren't laid out as nicely. The samsung has a 93% keyboard and all the keys are pretty much in the right place.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't come with any of the Microsoft products installed. Luckily I have an IT contact who helped me navigate all of that.

I've seen some great deals on the Dell ones on QVC (my vice). And, when I was buying mine I stalked Slick Deals hoping for something better to come along. But, I really wanted pink ... and of course, paid the price for it!

Added that to my list!

I really don't want black. I want a color. I'd like purple, but I'd settle for blue or red or something.

kransden
07-14-2009, 02:03 AM
I got an HP with a 12" screen. It slips in my purse. I love the size of it.

KrisM
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I got an HP with a 12" screen. It slips in my purse. I love the size of it.

You must have a big purse :).

I just got my Toshiba today. It's a 10.1 inch and doesn't fit in my purse, but my purse is pretty small. So far, I like it, but I haven't really had a chance to do much. DH is getting it set up for the network, etc now.